Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 AM

129 posts, read 211,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Ok, I have to be honest here. That struck me, and not in a good way.

I am white, and I don't think of races in such terms. What if I said that I wanted to be around MY PEOPLE? I'd have the racist stamp put on me in a split second.

Thing is, I don't think of it like that. We are part of one nation, and we ALL have to contribute to its prosperity and unity.

YOUR people? Really?? That is why segregation happens. YOU make it happen. YOU contribute to it.

Rant over
What exactly is so wrong with that? It's easy for you to put him down, since Denver is chock full of "your people"! Why would people think you're a racist, if you were living in Tokyo, Madrid, or Detroit, and you wished there were more Americans, or whites, or Irish, or Italian, of whatever nationality or ethnicity you are?

He didn't say he wanted all people not black to live somewhere else, or not be allowed to attend his kids' schools. I think you don't even know what the word "racism" or "segregation" means, cause you sure sound ignorant of any knowledge of their definitions... And to even try and say segregation is the fault of blacks, smacks more of a racist remark than anything he had said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
What's all this talk about racism? I think he was just talking about advanced ski slopes, which are
all over the mountains out here!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What's all this talk about racism? I think he was just talking about advanced ski slopes, which are
all over the mountains out here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxs0Qh72kY

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM

224 posts, read 559,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
What if I said that I wanted to be around MY PEOPLE? I'd have the racist stamp put on me in a split second.
Sometimes I seek out "my people" - 50-ish females. If that makes me ageist, or sexist, so be it!

It's all about having stuff in common, you see. Not about excluding others because you dislike them for some reason (skin, age, sex).

Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
Sometimes I seek out "my people" - 50-ish females. If that makes me ageist, or sexist, so be it!

It's all about having stuff in common, you see. Not about excluding others because you dislike them for some reason (skin, age, sex).
I can't recall ever intentionally seeking out people on the basis of age, gender or racial similarities. I can understand why some would, and I don't think that's racist (or anything else-ist). I just haven't done it that I can remember. Granted, I've been in situations (work, college) where there were inherent demographic similarities between a lot of people, and I did marry a woman within 5 years of my own age, but if I'm looking to find people with common interests I focus on activities and hobbies. I'd have a lot more to talk about with an 80 year old black woman from Alabama who's into old blues than a 40 year old male from Denver who's into shoes. (just as an example)

Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM

129 posts, read 211,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I can't recall ever intentionally seeking out people on the basis of age, gender or racial similarities. I can understand why some would, and I don't think that's racist (or anything else-ist). I just haven't done it that I can remember. Granted, I've been in situations (work, college) where there were inherent demographic similarities between a lot of people, and I did marry a woman within 5 years of my own age, but if I'm looking to find people with common interests I focus on activities and hobbies. I'd have a lot more to talk about with an 80 year old black woman from Alabama who's into old blues than a 40 year old male from Denver who's into shoes. (just as an example)
But that's what he was saying, he wanted to find others who shared common interests, which can also be cultural, social, etc.... And I'm sure if you hadn't much luck finding a lot of people you jibed with, you'd focus more of your search to those similar to the ones you'd felt comfortable with, in your past. Like folks from Chicago, who may more likely be into the Blues, than those from Ogden, Utah...

Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
But that's what he was saying, he wanted to find others who shared common interests, which can also be cultural, social, etc.... And I'm sure if you hadn't much luck finding a lot of people you jibed with, you'd focus more of your search to those similar to the ones you'd felt comfortable with, in your past. Like folks from Chicago, who may more likely be into the Blues, than those from Ogden, Utah...
Which was why I said, "I can understand why some would, and I don't think that's racist (or anything else-ist)."

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
There's a new sports bar/soul food restaurant called Cleatz in the Northfield shopping area that seems to attract primarily black people. Seems to be a nice, classy place, if someone is looking to socialize with more black people.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,313 times
How is the job market in Denver? My fiance and I are moving out there in the end of October. He's white and is a massage therapist and a jack of all trades so it won't be hard finding a job for him. As for me, my company is closing down in 2 weeks and currently looking for another job.
I would like to find something in the medical field from entry level receptionist, customer service or call center.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:45 AM

306 posts, read 546,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Colorado Native View Post
....... There are over four million Whites and less than two-hundred Blacks who reside here. ....... I do not know what it is like to live within a large population of Black people. GA has over a million and a half Blacks! I have lived with over four million Whites my whole life. I would like to experience another aspect of life, and have more social and professional opportunities. That's important to me.
As a dark skinned woman of color, I think I can comment on your post and tell you that if it were a White person saying the things you just wrote, but about Blacks instead, they'd be called racists immediately. It never fails to IRRITATE me, yes irritate me how people of color (myself included) can say whatever we want about Whites and get away with it, but if they were to say it, it would be construed as racism, or being hostile to a person of color.

Why can't you pick a place to live based on what the place offers you in terms of a job, the environment, tranquility, healthcare, recreational opportunities, etc. Why does it have to be based on race ? It's sad that an educated woman as yourself can still be so narrow minded. I lived in the South for several years and I had both Black and White friends, and believe me the Blacks weren't that excited about other Blacks moving into the area from the North or the West. So good luck with your move, and I hope you like it out there.

PS. If (as you say) Denver only has 200 Black people compared to the 4 million Whites, then I'm in school with half the Black population of Denver as there are about 100 Black students at my school alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver