Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,434 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Denver area (Broomfield as workplace) from a nice Dallas suburb. What suburbs would be good to look in for nicely built homes and good schools? We have a 15 year old that is active in ice hockey, golf and loves to snowboard. We too enjoy winter sports. Our housing budget would be around $475,000. We currently have a 4600 SF custom home with a pool/hot tub. We know we will not need the pool and could go a bit smaller but I am worried that the finish-out on homes is not like we have.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Hi,

As I'm sure you are aware, your money goes a lot further in Dallas homewise than it will in Denver. I don't think you will find a custom home for $475 in the northern Denver suburbs (but, I could be wrong especially in this housing market!), and outdoor pools are pretty rare here. It also depends what you mean by custom. When I say custom it means a high end home that has no replication in the same neighborhood with high end finishes (versus say a nice builder tract home with high end finishes).

I would start your search in Broomfield, which is a great place to live. When I look at current listings between $450 and 500K the homes are ranging in sq footage from 2700-4700 (only one is 4700, most are around 2900-3500), but they are all tract homes--nice ones though. There is an ice hocky rink (a very good one) in Westminster (right next to Broomfield), which has areas you might check for housing as well. Also lots of golf courses (at least 3 excellent ones I can think of) in this area as well.

Specific neighborhoods I would check would be:

Broomfield: Mckay Landing, Aspen Creek, Broadlands. Now these are all your standard cookie cutter tract home neighborhoods, seperated from everything (you can't walk to anything from them, but living in Dallas I imagine this is probably your current situation also), but they are nice areas, all with good schools.

Westminster: Legacy Ridge, The Ranch, Bradburn Village (my neighborhood, although is very different, is a new urbanist, mixed-use neighborhood where you can walk to shops, restaurants etc.. but homes are not cookie cutter and the yards are smaller).

However, as compensation for your soon to be higher cost of housing, the summers average around 75-85 degrees with low humidty--i.e. paradise (in my opinion), and you will be a 1 1/2 hour drive from the great ski areas!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 PM

18 posts, read 48,138 times
Yes, Broomfield has some nice areas, as does Westminster. You may also want to consider Wheatridge, Arvada, Superior, and Louisville. [ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Trolling for clients not allowed by the TOS.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I agree with the suggestions above. There is an ice rink in Superior, and anything in Louisville would be close to that, as well as anything in Superior. Lafayette has an ice rink at the YMCA. Again, anything in Louisville, Lafayette, even Erie would be close to the Y. Both these rinks have active hockey programs. There are golf courses in Louisville and Lafayette.

The average high in June is 82, July 87, and August 85. Lots of 90 - 100 degree days, especially from late June to mid-August. Low humidity though, and it does cool off at night.

www.accuweather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver