Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,704 times

Advertisements

Goodmorning! My husband and I are relocating to the Denver Metro area the first week in March. We are looking to rent a home that is in close proximity to Buckley AFB and a reasonable commute to DTC. We found a beautiful home to rent in Murphy Creek but we are trying to gain a better understanding of the community. I know that its a bit isolated from shopping areas but was hoping to hear other positives/negatives about the development.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
An older thread about this community:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...aurora-co.html

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
Thanks. Ive already seen that post. It was from 5 years ago so I was hoping to find more recent feedback.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk146 View Post
Thanks. Ive already seen that post. It was from 5 years ago so I was hoping to find more recent feedback.

The community has a FB page.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
We briefly considered Murphy Creek when we moved back to Colorado 3 1/2 years ago, but ultimately decided against it based on circumstances that are still valid today.

• Poor infrastructure. Access to the neighborhood is via narrow, two-lane roads.
  • No retail support. There's a gas station/liquor store at the Y intersection of 6th Avenue and Gun Club and that's it.
  • Aurora Public Schools.
  • Your nearest neighbor to the south is the DADS landfill, and it's visible for miles.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
You might feel isolated in Murphy Creek. If you could find something further south on Gun Club in SE Aurora, closer to the Southlands area, that would be much closer to stores and amenities. I don't know anything about rental availability for houses, but there are a lot of newer apartments on Arapahoe, Aurora Parkway, and Smoky Hill. To shorten the commute to the DTC, the South Aurora area, near Parker Rd and Arapahoe/Smoky Hill would also be good. The commute to Buckley isn't going to be bad from any of those areas.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk146 View Post
Goodmorning! My husband and I are relocating to the Denver Metro area the first week in March. We are looking to rent a home that is in close proximity to Buckley AFB and a reasonable commute to DTC. We found a beautiful home to rent in Murphy Creek but we are trying to gain a better understanding of the community. I know that its a bit isolated from shopping areas but was hoping to hear other positives/negatives about the development.

Thanks!
It would be super close to Buckley-- about as close as you could possibly get.

I briefly entertained the idea of Murphy Creek when looking at houses last year. The pros are-- newer construction (including some homes that are brand new), attractively designed homes and landscaping, nice golf course, and it's one of the most affordable newer neighborhoods in the whole Denver metro area.

The negatives though are huge: it's directly in the landing path of DIA-- all day long (and most of the night too) it's nonstop planes one after the other. The noise from planes flying over my head would drive me insane. It's next to the primary active landfill for the entire Denver area. You will drive right by and see a full on view of the dump each and every single time you come and leave your house to go anywhere. That alone right there is what has always turned me off. Unless if you take E-470 which is one of the most expensive toll roads in the country, it will be dangerous congested two lanes roads to get anywhere. Even the most basic services, such as a grocery store, are miles away. The streets are really narrow in the neighborhood with a lot of cars parked tight in the street. It almost feels kind of like an urban neighborhood, though in the outer suburbs.

Personally, I think the city of Aurora should never have allowed Murphy Creek to be built. It's just way, way, way too up close and personal to the dump.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I just looked this neighborhood up out of curiosity. Houses look nice, but yes, very isolated. The planes wouldn't bother me, but driving so far to any retail would. And being forced to use the overpriced toll road would bother me.

And what's with the fences? They couldn't even keep a dog in your yard. I noticed another development down by Southlands that had the say type of fences (more like something to just keep a horse contained). You get zero privacy, and you couldn't let your dog out. I would never buy any house anywhere with fences like this. What are these builders thinking? Absolutely impractical

Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I just looked this neighborhood up out of curiosity. Houses look nice, but yes, very isolated. The planes wouldn't bother me, but driving so far to any retail would. And being forced to use the overpriced toll road would bother me.

And what's with the fences? They couldn't even keep a dog in your yard. I noticed another development down by Southlands that had the say type of fences (more like something to just keep a horse contained). You get zero privacy, and you couldn't let your dog out. I would never buy any house anywhere with fences like this. What are these builders thinking? Absolutely impractical
I think some HOAs won't allow privacy fences. I don't think you can blame the builders.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:20 PM

48 posts, read 72,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I think some HOAs won't allow privacy fences. I don't think you can blame the builders.
Agreed. Our HOA requires wrought iron fence which looks nice but is expensive and doesn't offer much privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver