Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,195,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Menver thing is a misconception that refuses to die. For every 100 women in Denver there are 102.1 men according to the 2010 census.
Well, then that's promising to OP, assuming that 1:1 ratio is all singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 AM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default You want men, here they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Menver thing is a misconception that refuses to die. For every 100 women in Denver there are 102.1 men according to the 2010 census.
List of Chinese administrative divisions by gender ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about 143:100 ?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 AM

694 posts, read 1,040,638 times
Dallas: See video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo

"Up North you got them Dallas snobs with their Mercedes" = Greenwood Village, Hilltop, and any neighborhood with the word Cherry in it.

1) "Then in Central Texas you’ve the People’s Republic of Austin with a bunch of hairy legged women and liberal fruitcakes" = Boulder

2) "West Texas with them flat ranches" = Eastern Colorado

3) "Houston, what I call the carcinogenic coast" = Commerce City

4) "Down South . . . that's where the Tex meets the Mex, like the food" = Adams County

5) "But, I left out the Panhandle as a lot of people do" = Southeast Colorado (LaJuanta, Lamar, Pritchet)

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 03-08-2015 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,109 times
You will find Dallas to be snobby. People really dress up there. It is not a bad city to live in. I have friends there. It is one confusing city to get around. I don't think Denver and Dallas are really comparable. Dallas is very conservative. And, if you are too then you will fit in. If you are at all liberal you will be in the minority. Houston is a bit more liberal. Austin is a little more liberal than both. Your cost of living will certainly be lower in Dallas. I think it depends on your financial situation. If you have a family or you are single. You also need to consider your commute. Denver is tiny compared to Dallas. I personally would go for the lifestyle. It is very different. I have a good friend who moved to Denver with his wife. They did not even have a job there. They just up and left Houston and said it was totally worth it. Granted they had a bit of money to do it. He lives in Cherry Hills. I have ben to Denver many times. I got lucky that I am getting the chance to move there. In the end Dallas and similar to Houston. I would pick Houston over Dallas any day. If you are looking for outdoorsy then Austin is the only place to go, but the city is highly over rated. Traffic is brutal. People visit there and think it is so amazing, but living there is a different story. Good luck wherever you move!
And, if you are concerned about women. I don't think Dallas will be much better than Denver. There are plenty of hot women in Denver. We have more hot women here for sure, but 3/4ths of hot women in Houston are conservative. Yes, it is really that bad. Dallas is way more conservative than Houston. I can't wait to get out of this crazy state!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 AM

850 posts, read 797,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You will find Dallas to be snobby. People really dress up there. It is not a bad city to live in. I have friends there. It is one confusing city to get around. I don't think Denver and Dallas are really comparable. Dallas is very conservative. And, if you are too then you will fit in. If you are at all liberal you will be in the minority. Houston is a bit more liberal. Austin is a little more liberal than both. Your cost of living will certainly be lower in Dallas. I think it depends on your financial situation. If you have a family or you are single. You also need to consider your commute. Denver is tiny compared to Dallas. I personally would go for the lifestyle. It is very different. I have a good friend who moved to Denver with his wife. They did not even have a job there. They just up and left Houston and said it was totally worth it. Granted they had a bit of money to do it. He lives in Cherry Hills. I have ben to Denver many times. I got lucky that I am getting the chance to move there. In the end Dallas and similar to Houston. I would pick Houston over Dallas any day. If you are looking for outdoorsy then Austin is the only place to go, but the city is highly over rated. Traffic is brutal. People visit there and think it is so amazing, but living there is a different story. Good luck wherever you move!
And, if you are concerned about women. I don't think Dallas will be much better than Denver. There are plenty of hot women in Denver. We have more hot women here for sure, but 3/4ths of hot women in Houston are conservative. Yes, it is really that bad. Dallas is way more conservative than Houston. I can't wait to get out of this crazy state!
I'm suprised you would pick houston over dallas, not to offend but I didn't see any redeeming qualities about Houston. For a big city it sure is ugly and the way its sprawls all over the place is like Atlanta, At least atlanta has hills and trees to cover alot of it up. I've heard Texas is conservative, but at the same time I've seen articles about number of votes leaning to democrats in each election, but that might because of the large hispanic vote.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I'm suprised you would pick houston over dallas, not to offend but I didn't see any redeeming qualities about Houston. For a big city it sure is ugly and the way its sprawls all over the place is like Atlanta, At least atlanta has hills and trees to cover alot of it up. I've heard Texas is conservative, but at the same time I've seen articles about number of votes leaning to democrats in each election, but that might because of the large hispanic vote.
Houston is not the most pretty city, but we are improving. The city has improved a ton in the last six years. We have had some big changed. We have been pouring money into our parks. Depending on what you can afford there are beautiful areas. River Oaks or Memorial are much more beautiful than anything in Denver. Then again they are also more expensive than anything in Denver. River Oaks is one of the most expensive in the US. If you live in the suburbs of Houston. Yes, I would say it sucks. I know of only one person that does not love living here. That would be my boss. That is how I am getting to move to Denver. We have a lot of trees. Go up in any highrise and look at the window. It is just green as far as you can see. Houston gets a bad rap, but we are one of the best cities for young single people in the nation. The city is pretty international too due to oil and energy. Most people in Houston are not from Houston. Dallas on the other hand is a little prettier, but it is a mess to get around. You really have to go to the hill country for Texas scenery. We have a better bar scene than Dallas. We have better food. Houston is much much more laid back than Dallas. I would live in Houston over Dallas or Austin. Heck, I would live in Dallas over Austin. Anyways, I love the mountains. You are also right about minorities push our urban areas to vote more liberal. Then again just about all urban areas lean more liberal. I am pretty liberal and I just could not deal with how conservative Dallas is. It is a big bonus for me that Denver is more liberal. I have tried to date some conservative girls before. I had an epic blow up with one when watching the Daily Show. And, I do realize there are still plenty of conservative people in Colorado. Anyways, to each their own.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Houston is not the most pretty city, but we are improving. The city has improved a ton in the last six years. We have had some big changed. We have been pouring money into our parks. Depending on what you can afford there are beautiful areas. River Oaks or Memorial are much more beautiful than anything in Denver. Then again they are also more expensive than anything in Denver. River Oaks is one of the most expensive in the US. If you live in the suburbs of Houston. Yes, I would say it sucks. I know of only one person that does not love living here. That would be my boss. That is how I am getting to move to Denver. We have a lot of trees. Go up in any highrise and look at the window. It is just green as far as you can see. Houston gets a bad rap, but we are one of the best cities for young single people in the nation. The city is pretty international too due to oil and energy. Most people in Houston are not from Houston. Dallas on the other hand is a little prettier, but it is a mess to get around. You really have to go to the hill country for Texas scenery. We have a better bar scene than Dallas. We have better food. Houston is much much more laid back than Dallas. I would live in Houston over Dallas or Austin. Heck, I would live in Dallas over Austin. Anyways, I love the mountains. You are also right about minorities push our urban areas to vote more liberal. Then again just about all urban areas lean more liberal. I am pretty liberal and I just could not deal with how conservative Dallas is. It is a big bonus for me that Denver is more liberal. I have tried to date some conservative girls before. I had an epic blow up with one when watching the Daily Show. And, I do realize there are still plenty of conservative people in Colorado. Anyways, to each their own.
Yeah the one thing I did notice about houston was lots of minorities and companies as well. We all know people move to texas because of jobs and low cost of living, but theres more to life than that.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,195,111 times
Totally agree with Schumacher, both in regards to what he said about Dallas in general, and Houston v. Dallas.

@Johnny Denver, that was a good Texas to Colorado comparison. Accurate, but amusing at the same time.

Anyway, back to the original question, Denver over Dallas

Old 03-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Yeah the one thing I did notice about houston was lots of minorities and companies as well. We all know people move to texas because of jobs and low cost of living, but theres more to life than that.
I 100% agree with that. Though well paying jobs don't grow on trees in Denver. There is not big oil there like here. I have wanted to move to Denver since I was a child, but I could not find many jobs up there that would give me the opportunities I have gotten here. I was very fortunate to get the chance to move now while keeping a very good job.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I 100% agree with that. Though well paying jobs don't grow on trees in Denver. There is not big oil there like here. I have wanted to move to Denver since I was a child, but I could not find many jobs up there that would give me the opportunities I have gotten here. I was very fortunate to get the chance to move now while keeping a very good job.
Yeah Denver job market is tight, I am in the tech field and know its growing, but it doesn't make it any easier. Theres lots to like, if Denver had ocean or beach it would be as expensive as NY or San Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver