Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 PM

132 posts, read 132,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'm with Timmah -

I love Denver, but at the current prices I would not move here. For a little more at this point I would stay in SoCal and be basking in the surf culture of HB, dining on tacos made by a Mexican with a gold tooth and hanging with the plastic chested bikinis in the sunnnnn, brah

--shaka--
You mean a lot more bro, HB housing isn't cheap. You can't find a $300,000 house anywhere in So. Cal brah, that's a FACT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,106,510 times
I remember the first time I visited Estes Park in the mid 90's vacationing from Orlando. I was seduced by the scenery, the altitude, the weather etc. So much so I wasn't paying attention to the folks in front of me at the shops and on the streets and often walked off the curb because I was higher than a kite. Nowadays I can spot newbie a mile away.

I didn't have a job offer. No one invited us here. But Colorado is most definitely my home, and to paraphrase Charlton Heston, "You'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers".

Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,037,148 times
I moved here last year from HI. I would definately move here again. I have also lived in SF, Phx, ABQ, SAT,and PDX. The only iss ues for me is it's expensive eating out and the weather is crazy. The economy is good here, and people are really cool, the city is prosperous. I like ABQ weather better, but living in a HUB is definately awesome.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,522,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
You mean a lot more bro, HB housing isn't cheap. You can't find a $300,000 house anywhere in So. Cal brah, that's a FACT!
You can't find a nice house in Denver for 300k either. Do you mean Aurora or Lakewood?

Here is a 4/2 condo for ~475k in HB, with 9/10 and 10/10 schools:

20331 Bluffside Cir APT 412, Huntington Beach, CA 92646 | Zillow

Here is a 4/2 duplex for ~475k in Denver with 6/10 and 4/10 schools:

1355 Franklin St APT 6, Denver, CO 80218 | Zillow

Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,409,280 times
I dunno. I'd have given more serious consideration to Pittsburgh and West Virginia, for sure.

But really, I felt so uniquely at home here that I can't imagine living in those other places. I moved here four years ago, and things have changed pretty dramatically in that time. But it's still a great place to live.

In West Virginia, I was acutely aware of the lack of cultural and intellectual life, not to mention the limited dining options. I'm not a cultural snob at all, but I do like the museums, bookstores and cultural events here in Denver. I met many wonderful people there, but I don't think I'd be as happy in WV. They had only one Barnes & Noble in the entire state and one Borders (it was before the chain closed). I rarely go to chain bookstores these days, but the fact that B&N only had one outlet in the entire state spoke volumes to me.

And Pittsburgh had a very rich intellectual/cultural scene, but I dunno... it just didn't feel right. I could have been quite content there, I'm certain, except for the weather. But it wouldn't have been the weirdly delirious kind of happy that I have here.

Your question has stumped me, ayoitzrimz.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:39 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,058,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. I'd have given more serious consideration to Pittsburgh and West Virginia, for sure.

But really, I felt so uniquely at home here that I can't imagine living in those other places. I moved here four years ago, and things have changed pretty dramatically in that time. But it's still a great place to live.

In West Virginia, I was acutely aware of the lack of cultural and intellectual life, not to mention the limited dining options. I'm not a cultural snob at all, but I do like the museums, bookstores and cultural events here in Denver. I met many wonderful people there, but I don't think I'd be as happy in WV. They had only one Barnes & Noble in the entire state and one Borders (it was before the chain closed). I rarely go to chain bookstores these days, but the fact that B&N only had one outlet in the entire state spoke volumes to me.

And Pittsburgh had a very rich intellectual/cultural scene, but I dunno... it just didn't feel right. I could have been quite content there, I'm certain, except for the weather. But it wouldn't have been the weirdly delirious kind of happy that I have here.

Your question has stumped me, ayoitzrimz.
Pittsburgh was rated as the number 1 top city several years ago. Not due to anything outstanding, but because the city didn't have any big negatives.

But, I've seen stats recently that the city isn't growing- that's not a good sign. Your thoughts?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
would you move to Denver today? No

Why and why not? Denver is in Kansas (Prairie) except Denver has a LOT of traffic, and even more pollution (brown cloud)

Where would you live today? for your desires (and still near mtns) ... SanteFe / Flagstaff / Bozeman / Tucson

...I also like Phoenix as a city and it has a strong tech market.

What about you guys?
I commute through PHX several times / month. I can't understand why there is a city there. it is HUGE, HOT, and there is NO WATER! (each to his own)

I don't like rain either, (Colorado born and raised) so I leave my PNW home and go to Asia, CA, CO, or TX for the 200+ days / yr of drizzle. (spouse likes greenery).

COS would be by far my choice over DEN, but I don't do stoplights, so that ain't gonna happen either!

There are lots of tech positions in COS too.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM

22,405 posts, read 29,522,524 times
Moved here two years ago last May for my now ex. Would I move out here today from Miami? No but I'm glad I did it. New bf and I are in a lease till May and I'm trying to get him to explore and move somewhere else. However, he's been here 20 years and his job is $135k a year. Kinda hard to find that...

Old 08-26-2015, 01:58 PM

556 posts, read 764,567 times
So most of the reason that people would consider not living in Denver, that I can tell from this thread, is that the COL is too high. Which is awesome, but it's like half of my COL here in Los Angeles, so if that's the real downside, I'm going ot love it.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,409,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Pittsburgh was rated as the number 1 top city several years ago. Not due to anything outstanding, but because the city didn't have any big negatives.

But, I've seen stats recently that the city isn't growing- that's not a good sign. Your thoughts?
Hm. I don't know. For my purposes, I suspect it wouldn't matter much. I work from home, and if my company suddenly closed, I'd do ok as a consultant, probably. But if Pittsburgh is stagnating, that's not good for sure.

I'd rather be in a more dynamic city even if the COL is higher, that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver