Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM

17 posts, read 49,555 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can someone please explain the concept of open space to me. I am coming from Texas, and here if you buy a house near an open field chances are it will be developed in no time. It is undesirable in Texas to buy near undeveloped property for fear of the unknown. I get the impression that this is not the case in Denver. Is "Open Space" desirable? Is it protected from being developed? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,744 times
In Colorado, different cities have taxes and funds to buy space to leave open in perpetuity. If you buy a home adjacent to open space, odds are it will stay that way forever IF the city has purchased it as part of their open space program, at least that is my understanding.

Boulder is the best known for this. One of the reasons housing in Boulder is so expensive is the city is surrounded by open space which will never be developed, limiting new development.

Now, if you find property next to open space, make sure it's in an open space program and there aren't any other landowners, because it can appear to be open space but may be a parcel that is only adjacent. For example, my neighborhood is next to the Big Dry Creek open space which is owned and managed by the city of Westminster. There are some housing lots in my neighborhood that back to this open space and they back directly to it. But right next to those some houses look at what looks like open space but is actually land owned by the school district slated for a future school, so at some point in the future it will be built. Make sure to find out who owns what if it's near the property you are interested in.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 49,555 times
Good to know, thanks again!!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
In Colorado, different cities have taxes and funds to buy space to leave open in perpetuity. If you buy a home adjacent to open space, odds are it will stay that way forever IF the city has purchased it as part of their open space program, at least that is my understanding.

Boulder is the best known for this. One of the reasons housing in Boulder is so expensive is the city is surrounded by open space which will never be developed, limiting new development.

Now, if you find property next to open space, make sure it's in an open space program and there aren't any other landowners, because it can appear to be open space but may be a parcel that is only adjacent. For example, my neighborhood is next to the Big Dry Creek open space which is owned and managed by the city of Westminster. There are some housing lots in my neighborhood that back to this open space and they back directly to it. But right next to those some houses look at what looks like open space but is actually land owned by the school district slated for a future school, so at some point in the future it will be built. Make sure to find out who owns what if it's near the property you are interested in.
Very good point! We are in Boulder County and there are many areas protected as open space. It's wonderful!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
A huge hunk of land in the extreme southern section of Douglas county is open space (Greenland Open Space).

Greenland Ranch Open Space - Douglas County

Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
The Open Space Programs is very extensive and is covered by local, county, city and state plans. To get a great idea of all the open space in Colorado, go to this link
Colorado Open Space Alliance - COSA

Be sure to look at this Gallery page on this website. It gives extensive pictures of all the open spaces: COSA Gallery

In addition go to the link page COSA Related Links. This will take you to the specific website governing that open space.

Though Boulder has been mentioned, there is much more open space under other programs in the state. For example, my favorite is the open spaces in Jefferson County which I have explored Open Space - Jefferson County, CO.

As you can see the open space is very impressive, considering that this site does not cover all the additional spaces covered by parks--especially the city of Denver with the its tremedous City parks Topics and with the Mountain Parks that it owns. Denver Mountain Parks - Welcome Message.

Also Colorado is home to extensive federal forest and state forest lands.

Now with all these open spaces we can all
Livecontent

Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
No insult intended to the great realtors who participate on this forum, but DO NOT take your realtor's advise that the empty field behind your house is "open space" and never will be developed. You must contact the city or county government and verify whether that open field has actually been designated as open space or if it is zoned for development and just hasn't been built yet.

I have worked for a city government for many years, and you could not believe the people who would get irate when a development went in because their realtor told them that empty field was open space or a park.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

11,824 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
No insult intended to the great realtors who participate on this forum, but DO NOT take your realtor's advise that the empty field behind your house is "open space" and never will be developed.
No offense taken. I only tell buyers that the "open space" is indeed open space, because the seller told me so.

Most "open space" is on a renewable 100 year lease.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,504 times
As my username implies, I am a recent transplant and this was a concern when my wife and I were looking for a home. We decided to purchase a home that wasn't on open space but situated on a hilltop with nice views. At least I know my view will never be obstructed.

We live in HR and most, if not all, of the the open space is owned by Shea Homes. Although Douglas County does have a minimum acreage requirement for open space, you never know when the undeveloped land (currently termed open space) may be developed.

Of course, the small open space between communities won't be developed. I'm speaking specifically of the land between HR and Castle Pines North.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTransplant View Post
As my username implies, I am a recent transplant and this was a concern when my wife and I were looking for a home. We decided to purchase a home that wasn't on open space but situated on a hilltop with nice views. At least I know my view will never be obstructed.

We live in HR and most, if not all, of the the open space is owned by Shea Homes. Although Douglas County does have a minimum acreage requirement for open space, you never know when the undeveloped land (currently termed open space) may be developed.

Of course, the small open space between communities won't be developed. I'm speaking specifically of the land between HR and Castle Pines North.
To never have the concern of open space being developed, this is definitely the wisest. We didn't choose a view, per se, but we snagged a nice large lot across the street from homes on open space in the event that, for whatever reason, the open space is developed. We will never have to worry about our view changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver