Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
OK, in that case what the hell does that have to do with the airport? Traffic from Tower Road to westbound Pena Blvd. is not going to or from the airport. So how is that a defect in the location/design of the airport?

Off topic but to answer the question, why?, anyway. Because freeway interchanges are often missing ramps. Ramps are expensive and they don’t build them unless there is demand. For example there is no ramp from Sheridan Blvd. to westbound I-70 either, and nobody is complaining about that. Because that is not the direction that commuter traffic is going. The five people a day who would use that ramp, can just get on I-70 at a different location.

To get back to Tower Road & Pena Blvd, you are in luck. They are in the process of building a ramp there anyway.

Driving You Crazy: Why Isn't There a Ramp From Tower Road To Go West On Peña Blvd?
My biggest gripe is why was the E-470 and Pena Blvd interchange build as a cloverleaf ramp and not the a single stack interchange, similar to I-25 and C-470?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:31 PM

31 posts, read 36,832 times
I never got to experience Stapleton, but in packing for my big move to Denver next month I came across an old map of the metro area the other day (I used to collect city maps as a teen), circa 1970. Wow! So much has changed since then. I had no idea the runway ran over I-70 to the north, I-225 wasn't completed, and seems the area near Englewood/Littleton didn't connect to more developed parts of Denver... I'm definitely hanging on to this map.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:44 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, they are connected to the airport. Thats why there are ramps there, to get on eastbound Pena Blvd. to the airport.

What inconvenience is it to you? The inconvenience of having to drive an extra mile to 56th Ave. and getting on there?
Just because something isn't a direct inconvenience to a citizen personally doesn't mean that the citizen can't note inefficiencies or outright mistakes.

Note that every other interchange along Pena Boulevard is a full interchange. Only this one was built as an incomplete interchange. And it's been 20 years. I guarantee you that building that ramp in 1994 would have been far less costly than doing it today.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:53 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I guarantee you that building that ramp in 1994 would have been far less costly than doing it today.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/42100108-post12.html

Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I guarantee you that building that ramp in 1994 would have been far less costly than doing it today.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
True, but could not be built due to deal with E-470.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
I think the current construction of light rail out to the airport is a WIN-WIN. I believe it will pay dividends for decades to come. Hopefully the light rain trains can plow through winter snow drifts.

As a very minor point, I've noticed the airport doesn't take the best care of their indoor, potted trees in the main terminal. They often look dusty to me.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I think the current construction of light rail out to the airport is a WIN-WIN. I believe it will pay dividends for decades to come. Hopefully the light rain trains can plow through winter snow drifts.

As a very minor point, I've noticed the airport doesn't take the best care of their indoor, potted trees in the main terminal. They often look dusty to me.
Commuter rail, not light rail to the airport.

Commuter Rail vs. Light Rail

Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
True, but could not be built due to deal with E-470.
A deal which E-470 has welshed on - according to this article, the road should have been built at least in 2012, if not far sooner (like 2002, when the tollway was completed).

City neighbor to Denver International Airport presses toll-road authority to build promised on-ramp - The Denver Post

I'm not a fan of Texas for most things, but I'm certain that in Texas, this ridiculous ramp would have been built in 30 days in 1994.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
During DIA's first years, I remember locals longing for their beloved Stapleton. Have these fond memories of Stapleton been long forgotten for the most part?

People tend to forget the worst about things in their past; I think the same goes for Stapleton ( (in this case, big air traffic delays during snow storms, etc.) While it was a familiar, close-in airport, Stapleton definitely outgrew its city, and expansion potential was limited.

Opinions?
I didn't live here during the glory days, the only time I think of Stapleton is when I watch the Shining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver