Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Several summers ago I was helping my brother who lives on acreage in east Aurora. I was in his crawl space doing some plumbing work. Shortly thereafter, I noticed two areas of irritation/itching on my thigh.
Once I got back home to Phoenix, the sores got worse and worse. In summary, the two sores became very, very bad. The tissue turned black/blue, scabby, and necrotic- large too (several inches in diameter.)

I wanted a diagnosis, so I thought the best resource would be to call CU extension, entomologist. He said it's extremely unlikely it was a brown recluse spider. (see the link I've provided.) I need to research lyme disease to see if that's a possibility. I didn't think to go to a local Dr., but I guess I should have.

I thought I'd share this because this was the worst insect bite I've ever had in my life. My leg still has a scar where the tissue was damaged. Needless to say, the next time I'm in his crawl space, I'll spray my body with Deep Woods OFF from head to toe. I still don't know what bit me (if that's what it was.)

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Brown Recluse Spiders in Colorado: Recognition and Spiders of Similar Appearance - 5.607 - Colorado State University ExtensionColorado State University Extension
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Black Widows are common here. They are about the only dangerous spider we have. As you stated, Brown Recluses are very rare here. Lyme disease is also very rare here.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:14 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
^^^ thanks, Skydog. It must have been a widow then. It was one nasty, ugly sore. God forbid it ever happens again.
BTW, I'm glad to hear lyme disease is rare, but ticks are common in the mtns I understand.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^ thanks, Skydog. It must have been a widow then. It was one nasty, ugly sore. God forbid it ever happens again.
BTW, I'm glad to hear lyme disease is rare, but ticks are common in the mtns I understand.
We do have ticks that carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but not Lyme Disease.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
What a black widow spider bit might look like.
DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE GROSSED OUT
http://i.imgur.com/2iTAVr5.jpg

Old 04-11-2016, 03:35 PM

137 posts, read 197,040 times
I've been bit by widows before, and the result is kind of gross and itchy but it wasn't a big deal overall. Wolf spiders can also leave annoying bites.

If you think you may have Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever you need medical attention immediately. If you leave either of these untreated they could cause serious injuries. It usually takes about a day of attachment from a tick to get either, so unless you saw an engorged tick on you it probably isn't the case.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,815 times
The OP said this happened "several summers ago".

Lyme disease is extremely rare in CO. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/tables.html
Blog - Should I Be Worried About Lyme Disease In Colorado?
Colorado tick fever is by far the most common disease transmitted by ticks in Colorado. Despite its name, Rocky Mountain spotted fever is very uncommon in Colorado: Ticks in colorado

Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post

Lyme disease is extremely rare in CO. Lyme disease data tables | Lyme Disease | CDC
Colorado tick fever is by far the most common disease transmitted by ticks in Colorado. Despite its name, Rocky Mountain spotted fever is very uncommon in Colorado: Ticks in colorado
Thanks. I have always used Colorado tick fever and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever interchangeably. Learn something new every day.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 AM

137 posts, read 197,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post

Lyme disease is extremely rare in CO. Lyme disease data tables | Lyme Disease | CDC
Untreated Lyme or RSMF can linger for years and cause problems without obvious symptoms. They are rare, but if you have some reasonable assumption that you may have contracted either you need treatment, even three years later.

CTF isn't really treatable but doesn't come with the issues the other two do. But there can be complications with other diseases so it's best to see a doctor anyway if there's a reasonable chance you think you contracted it.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Hi,
Several summers ago I was helping my brother who lives on acreage in east Aurora. I was in his crawl space doing some plumbing work. Shortly thereafter, I noticed two areas of irritation/itching on my thigh.
Once I got back home to Phoenix, the sores got worse and worse. In summary, the two sores became very, very bad. The tissue turned black/blue, scabby, and necrotic- large too (several inches in diameter.)

I wanted a diagnosis, so I thought the best resource would be to call CU extension, entomologist. He said it's extremely unlikely it was a brown recluse spider. (see the link I've provided.) I need to research lyme disease to see if that's a possibility. I didn't think to go to a local Dr., but I guess I should have.

I thought I'd share this because this was the worst insect bite I've ever had in my life. My leg still has a scar where the tissue was damaged. Needless to say, the next time I'm in his crawl space, I'll spray my body with Deep Woods OFF from head to toe. I still don't know what bit me (if that's what it was.)

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Brown Recluse Spiders in Colorado: Recognition and Spiders of Similar Appearance - 5.607 - Colorado State University ExtensionColorado State University Extension
Brown recluse bites only affect a very incredibly small amount of people. If youre unfortunate enough to have a bad reaction, necrosis is a very big possibility. If caught early and treated properly, its a non-issue. Most people just get a small red circle that dissipates shortly. Recluses are also very misunderstood, too. If youre in an area that is home to recluse spiders, and crawl headlong right into their dwelling, it should come as no suprise that you get bit as you crawl all over them.

And fyi, theyre arachnids, NOT insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver