Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,038,095 times

Advertisements

Does Denver have a Cultural Identity? What is it? Is Denver a Soul less and Sterile City? What is Denver known for? Where are the Cultural Poles in Denver? Just a question to see what you think Denver is? Bronco country? What does that mean? ...etc.

Where do Police, Fire people hang out? Is Denver, just a chain restaurant incubator, but no family or culinary institutions? Are we just the bar/beer capital of the nation? What does that mean? What foods are Denver famous for? Maine has lobster, San Francisco Crab, Honolulu Roast Pork? LA InNOUt Burger...etc. What are your thoughts? What are landmark restaurants in Denver? Just curious.

Thank You

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-25-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,954,857 times
Beer.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,511,433 times
Denver has Snarfs, beer, voodoo donuts, snow and weed. What else does one need?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 PM

214 posts, read 260,877 times
When people think of Denver they think of weed.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 AM

17,719 posts, read 29,906,604 times
I think a big part of Denver's identity is: newness.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,419,450 times
Why is it that some people on this forum think that Denver is about smoking pot all the time? I'm sure there are long-time residents of Denver that think that is ridiculous! Yes, pot is legal there, but serious don't think everyone in Denver likes the stuff. People aren't sitting around in nice restaurants with "dobbie" in their pocket, ready to pull it out and smoke it as an after-dinner desert!

Denver isn't all about smoking pot. It's about three pro-sports teams (Nuggets, Rockies and Bronco's). It's about the amount of snow that can pile up from a blizzard and how cold it can sometimes get. It's about two very nice boating/skiing/tubing/fishing lakes (Chatfield & CC). It's about RMNP and the great Elk that are there. It's about the big rodeo/stock show there every January. It's about the Indian Pow Wow held there every year. That's what Denver is all about also...........again, not just pot!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:46 AM

214 posts, read 260,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Why is it that some people on this forum think that Denver is about smoking pot all the time? I'm sure there are long-time residents of Denver that think that is ridiculous! Yes, pot is legal there, but serious don't think everyone in Denver likes the stuff. People aren't sitting around in nice restaurants with "dobbie" in their pocket, ready to pull it out and smoke it as an after-dinner desert!

Denver isn't all about smoking pot. It's about three pro-sports teams (Nuggets, Rockies and Bronco's). It's about the amount of snow that can pile up from a blizzard and how cold it can sometimes get. It's about two very nice boating/skiing/tubing/fishing lakes (Chatfield & CC). It's about RMNP and the great Elk that are there. It's about the big rodeo/stock show there every January. It's about the Indian Pow Wow held there every year. That's what Denver is all about also...........again, not just pot!
I don't smoke pot but when I tell anyone from out of state I am from Denver pot is one if the first things that comes up.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:06 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,511,433 times
LoveBoating, of course we don't think everyone in Denver smokes weed, but Denver is the unofficial US capitol of the Marijuana Legalization movement. Denver let the cat out of the bag and had the balls to do what was right (and long overdue). We salute you for that! It's a positive thing, not negative. Cheers! and Thank You Denver/Colorado for leading the way!

Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,126,356 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all my friend nationwide (Cali, ohio, DC, FL), think of marijuana when I tell them "Denver."

Yes, I am aware that Denver offers much, much more than that. But that's all they see.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times
As others have mentioned, there's definitely a difference between any real cultural identity and the perceived one. Lots of folks (non residents mainly, or the folks who's lives revolve around their habit) do jump right to the weed thing. I think the vast majority of people who work and live here, would say that other things are more significant by a large margin.

Denver Broncos
Craft Beer scene
Outdoor activities available yearround, and a climate that supports being outdoors
Beautiful and varied landscape
Politically purple - something for everyone (speaking more to the state as a whole nd Denver Metro area not Denver proper, which is more blue)
Roots proudly anchored in the "old west" even as much of the growth is technology based.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-26-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver