Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 22,753 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Denver in mid-February. I'll be going to school in Boulder in Fall '09 and he'll start going in Denver shortly afterwards. We'd like to live in Denver, but would be open to other options that are accessible from the bus line (we only have one car, so one of us will likely ride the bus). My question is, are there are *easy* jobs to get in the area that are pretty much guaranteed? I know that must sound awful, but we're young newlyweds and I don't think we'll have the spare cash to visit and set up jobs prior to moving, so we're looking for something similiar to a call center or something else that will pay the bills until we can establish something more along the lines of our careers. Some place that will accept phone interviews or will be likely to hire us open moving. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
What about jobs at the schools? Seems like there are always postings in the hallways at Metro State.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Do you know if they pay well? I know here at Boise State you'd make more $$ doing just about anything else..

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Yes, lie your way into a job. Can someone remove that bull**** post that is obviously spam?

Call center jobs are in areas that have cheap labor, which excludes Denver.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Yes.. thanks for thinking of me but I can't imagine anything good would come of using phony references.... By no means do we have a lack of job history or poor references, I'm just thinking worst case scenario..

Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Call center jobs are in areas that have cheap labor, which excludes Denver.
Wrong, wrong, wrong-- The Federal government has call centers for their different agencies that are located here, and a national call centers for health care. Denver, as you should know, has a large federal employment base---that is why the Federal Center is called that, in Lakewood.

Comcast, Qwest and the other TV services all have centers in Denver. There are insurance companies that have call centers located in this area.

You may not realize this important fact but Denver is the capital of Colorado and consequently, the agencies have call center here.

Denver is also a regional center for the west and has many call center that handle warehousing and distribution of products. These call centers may not deal with the general public but with business to business--but they are still call centers.

Kaiser Permanente has a call center here and just relocated a large center from Texas.

RTD has a call center.

All agencies, public and private, hospitals or any entity that deals with the public has call centers---if you use a phone to go through some of these menus, you will know that eventually there is a live person--somewhere.

Banks, Credit Unions......

City, County and any municipality has call centers....

everything, everywhere has a call center....

Not all call are answered in India, Timbuktu, or Shangri-La

I am willing to bet that some of these employees make more money than you realize......

Ah, but you know this already...you just want to be contrary....

....to reach customer service...please press zero.....
your input has not been understood...to go back to the menu, press one...and then press two at the prompt....please say slowly your name....I did not understand that.....
all lines are busy...please try again latter....

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-13-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
I've done some IVR and ICR related work over the years; you locate call centers in areas that provide cheap labor. South of Denver towards the Springs and North of Denver towards Ft. Collins.

I don't know of (which does not of course mean they don't exist) any facilities within the city limits.

As I write this, with a bit of irony, I am looking at the status of a call center down near the springs and trying to solve a problem related to their routing.

Of course these days some of the smaller shops route VOIP to work at home folks; maybe that is an option for the OP? I have zero ideas as to how they find these people but I do know that these jobs have very high turn-over and as such figure they must stink.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,257 times
I went to CU and held several well-paying campus jobs while I was there. I don't know if you mean easy to get jobs or jobs that are easy to do.
If you are willing to do anything it takes to get some pocket cash, you will find that the university is filled with open positions. There is an employment center in UMC that should be able to help you out. There is a email list that sends out job details, get on it.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Yes, lie your way into a job.
How many people would get hired if you tell them what you actually do every day? Office space pretty well hit my life in an office, as well as most people I know....it's pretty sad.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
To the OP, funny, my first gut reaction to the title to your post was easy? WTF? But then I read your post and realized what you were looking for.

One way to get a job easily is in office work, that is if you can fit into that mold. When I first got started with offices, I'd go for receptionist, file clerk jobs. Pretty much any moron can do that (wait, we have a total freaking idiot in my office who can't file worth sh*t and she has a job! lol). Anyway, the way I got them was through temp agencies. They'd hook me up quick.

I used OfficeTeam. I know a lot of people have gripes w/them, they are what they are, but they got me work quick. And pretty cush work if you think about it. You just sit in a chair and wait for the phone to ring. Stuff envelopes. Get free coffee. Benefits. Also, very nice, office jobs are often not so stressful, so you can get your studies done. I know, I finished last year at Univ. of Colo. at Denver w/ a B.A. in Sociology. Before that I went to Comm. College of Denver and got my paralegal degree. I'm now back at Comm. College of Denver studying Spanish. And I work-full time, always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver