Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 41,125 times

Advertisements

We just moved here, and are currently renting in Ken Caryl with our 6-month old daughter while we decide where to buy. Between the good schools, trails, equestrian center and neighborhood filled with kids, it seems like an idyllic place to grow up. That's our primary concern- her experience.

However, we just got here and want to be sure we've done our research. And we do not love the uniformity of the housing stock in KC. We've been told Genesee is also very community oriented and it would also have the mountain and outdoor access we're seeking. The schools appear good there as well.

Finally, I've thrown Greenwood Village in there for the top-notch schools and because I just happened to come across a house there that I like (in Orchard Hills).

Which community is the best place to grow up? Priorities are schools, not just quality but I also don't want her in a tough bullying environment, or an overly competitive or materialistic one. Ideally the neighborhood would be one with other small children, and the ability to walk to friends' houses. And some people home during the day (I'm a SAHM).

Ideally we'd stay under $1 million and commute would be acceptable from all 3 locations.

TIA for opinions or experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Greenwood Village has a larger population of SAHM and better schools. If you want her to stay more grounded try Centennial.

However, it's hard to live in a $800,000 house and not come across a materialistic culture.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Thanks David. Based on driving around we've done this morning, I think we'll be sticking with either KC or Genesee.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:06 PM

403 posts, read 759,631 times
I would suggest you also look into the mountain area of Morrison specifically the Homestead neighborhood. The homes are largely executive style with approx. 2 acres of land. Easy commute down Hwy 285 and highly rated schools. Everyday amenities are 5-10 minutes away in Aspen Park and it'll take you about 10-15 minutes to the 285/C-470 interchange. Even at your budget, the homes in Genesee or the Homestead will have dated features on the interiors. I live and work in the foothills and have been actively taking buyers through both of these neighborhoods in the past three weeks and have been inside about 40 homes that are active on the market in the $900k-$1,300,000 price range. Practically every one of them you could move into, but many needed at least some form of updating to carpet, baths, hardware, cabinets, etc. Not gut jobs, but cosmetic updates in a 4000-7000 sq. ft. home will cost a decent amount of money.

Don't get me wrong, both neighborhoods are nice. When looking at schools, make sure to look beyond elementary school. Middle and High Schools may not have the same ratings. Also, food shopping in Genesee is non-existent. You'll either travel into Evergreen for the Wal-Mart or King Soopers or have to go back "down the hill" to CO Mills or into Golden for Whole Foods, Super Target or Natural Grocers. Some parts of Genesee have a community pool, clubhouse and tennis courts which is a nice, family-friendly feature, plus there's the Mt. Vernon Country Club as another pool/tennis option.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:42 PM

Default .

Thank you alliern - we love MORRISON! I thought the schools were not so great. We will look at the homestead area. I've been wondering if we should stick to a less expensive neighborhood though. I'm worried there will not be little ones for ours to play with.

We drove by this and loved it. I'm guessing not a school area: 16525 Wild Berry Road, Morrison, CO 80465 | MLS 8914382 | Listing Information

Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 PM

403 posts, read 759,631 times
Mountain area Morrison (up 285) feeds into mountain Jeffco schools which are different than the zoned schools for the Willow Springs neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:05 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
We have lived in Ken Caryl for the past 3+ years with our 2 daughters, and can't imagine living anywhere else. We don't love the aging houses, and you simply can't find this type of community anywhere else. School has been great, kids' programs in the community are great, and the trails and amenities are totally unique.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I think we need to get a little more involved in the community to truly appreciate it. Maybe the holiday gathering today will give us some flavor.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:31 AM

I thought I'd come back to add in where we landed. We are in Greenwood Village, and made the right choice. Why? Diversity of neighbors, convenience, and schools. We are very happy here.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:55 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedonagirl View Post
I thought I'd come back to add in where we landed. We are in Greenwood Village, and made the right choice. Why? Diversity of neighbors, convenience, and schools. We are very happy here.
Nice choice. I'm in west Centennial just to the south. We get into GV all the time, though. Public schools are fantastic here but once our daughter gets a little older we're looking into St. Mary's Academy which has amazing reviews. Love the convenience to DU, Cherry Creek, DTC, Southglenn, etc. from the area. Getting downtown usually takes 25 minutes from me and straight up University or Broadway which is nice. Glad you like it.

BTW, Sedona always has a special place in my heart. Fell in love with my wife there and we used to go up there often and stay in our favorite cabin when we lived in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver