Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 29,190 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be driving from San Jose CA to Denver in early April, and I am looking for advice on the best route. I want to take a "southern" route so that I don't need to go through a lot of mountains where there might be snow, but want to know about a particular route.

I'm thinking of taking I5 south, then east through Bakersfield along HWY 58, then picking up I40 at Barstow, then up through I25 from Albuquerque. Is there any danger of snow or other type of bad weather in early April along that route? Any other things to be concerned about?

The alternative is to take I5 down to LA and then head east on I10 - and that definitely would not have bad weather but I would just as soon not go through LA.

Any advice on this is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I take it you haven't been paying attention to the news lately. Always check the forecast before you leave of course, but you're highly unlikely to see any snow at all. This has been one of the driest and warmest winter/spring season on record and there's zero snow forecasted in the mountains in the next two weeks (and probably beyond). If that's still the case when you go on your road trip, then I'd recommend either I-80 all the way to Cheyenne if you want the fast way, or I-80 to Salt Lake City, then go down to Price and take I-70 into Denver if you want the scenic way. Absolutely no reason to go all the way down to I-40 or I-10 unless if you were wanting to see AZ & NM anyway.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I take it you haven't been paying attention to the news lately. Always check the forecast before you leave of course, but you're highly unlikely to see any snow at all. This has been one of the driest and warmest winter/spring season on record and there's zero snow forecasted in the mountains in the next two weeks (and probably beyond). If that's still the case when you go on your road trip, then I'd recommend either I-80 all the way to Cheyenne if you want the fast way, or I-80 to Salt Lake City, then go down to Price and take I-70 into Denver if you want the scenic way. Absolutely no reason to go all the way down to I-40 or I-10 unless if you were wanting to see AZ & NM anyway.
This. I'm from San Jose and used to drive back and forth all the time when I lived in Denver. There's no reason, any time, to go that far south. 80 is the fastest and the branch off in SLC as mentioned for a scenic ride.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

152 posts, read 323,482 times
we make that drive all the time, well from san jose to UT, and we've done it in the dead of winter with lots of snow. We've never had any problem going on 80. And given that it's been SO dry you should have no problems at all, except boredom through Nevada.....

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
True, this winter has been abnormally warm and dry. That does NOT mean that it isn't possible to hit winter driving conditions on ANY route from San Jose to Denver. I've driven in vicious winter-type storms in spring on I-80, I-70, and I-25 (and all of the secondary state and US highways) on many, many occasions. The best advice I can give is to check the weather forecast for the ENTIRE route immediately before you set out. Pick the one with the most favorable weather forecast. By saying the entire route, I mean that you should pay particular attention to the high-elevation areas. For example, it's perfectly possible to have a clear 80° day in Denver and have a raging mountain blizzard on the passes on I-70 west of Denver. It should be noted that, in a NORMAL year, March and April are two of the snowiest months of the year in the central and southern Rockies.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Appreciate all the advice. Clearly I'm not as familiar with the route as the people who have been doing it. One more question - what is the best (most accurate) site for longer term forecasts along route I80 to help me plan?

I will have too decide now which way and will have to commit. My complication is that we are doing trip with our dog, and need to set up the hotels early so that we don't have to be hunting around for a pet friendly hotel as we roll into town late in the day.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo10 View Post
Appreciate all the advice. Clearly I'm not as familiar with the route as the people who have been doing it. One more question - what is the best (most accurate) site for longer term forecasts along route I80 to help me plan?

I will have too decide now which way and will have to commit. My complication is that we are doing trip with our dog, and need to set up the hotels early so that we don't have to be hunting around for a pet friendly hotel as we roll into town late in the day.
Colorado road conditions: Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Wyoming road conditions: WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie)

Dialing 511 once you are in either state will give you that state's road condition information.

As I posted earlier, either route can be just fine and dry, or can be a winter driving nightmare in places in spring. In the latter case, neither is a place for winter driving amateurs.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Drive to SJC.
Buy 2 tickets from an airline.
Drive from DEN to Denver.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
How long term do you want those forecasts to be? Weather Underground goes about ten days out. That's as far out as I think anyone can predict weather. Use a combination of the forecasts and the links that Jazz provided for real time weather to make your decisions as you go.

Travelling with dogs can make it harder, but you have to be prepared to spend an extra night or two along the way if the weather looks bad. If there are any storms they'll probably move through quickly and the roads will be fine the next day.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Greatly appreciate all the pointers - I believe that I have what I need for the trip. All of it was useful to me - except for Dave who I guess hates dogs (though I won't hold that against him).

I will soon be one of your neighbours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver