Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times

Advertisements

Suburbs have pockets of walkability - but generally are not.

Our MLS has walkscore - so you can search for a more walkable friendly property.

Your price point also makes walkability a challenge (average sales price in metro Denver is closer to $400k) more land between houses, means not usually close to stores & restaurants and dry cleaners, etc.

Old Town Arvada, Downtown Littleton might be good options.

Maybe you should consider lowering your price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCT View Post
Thanks for the great info.

I am not sure I want to be in the DPS, not because of the quality of schools but more because I've generally tried to not have my kids attend schools in the same district in which I work (especially as an admin).

Are there any 'burbs that meet that somewhat walkable criteria?

Again, thanks for the help.
My neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster fulfills all your criteria. It's a walkable, mixed-use neighborhood with excellent schools 30 minutes north of downtown Denver. Houses in your price range and tons of kids. Walkable from every house in 5-15 minutes (one way) to many shops and restaurants including Whole Foods.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great info.

I am not sure I want to be in the DPS, not because of the quality of schools but more because I've generally tried to not have my kids attend schools in the same district in which I work (especially as an admin).

Are there any 'burbs that meet that somewhat walkable criteria?

Again, thanks for the help.
Louisville is probably your best bet if you can tolerate the commute to Denver. Closer in, you can look at Wheat Ridge, Arvada and Downtown Littleton.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM

830 posts, read 744,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Suburbs have pockets of walkability - but generally are not.

Our MLS has walkscore - so you can search for a more walkable friendly property.

Your price point also makes walkability a challenge (average sales price in metro Denver is closer to $400k) more land between houses, means not usually close to stores & restaurants and dry cleaners, etc.

Old Town Arvada, Downtown Littleton might be good options.

Maybe you should consider lowering your price range?
That was my first thought in regards to suburbs.
Downtown Parker & Belmar might also be options.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I have two kids, 6 and 7. They will be entering 1st and 2nd.

I am uncertain where work will be right now. It is for the Denver Public Schools but in an admin position, traveling between schools, I think. Details being worked out, as it is a new position for the district.

I am used to a commute, so anything within 45 min would be ok. The big criteria is the schools and walkable area.

I appreciate your help; going into this blindly is a little crazy!
You may be used to a commute, but the snow can make a mess of things here; most people like to live a little closer than 45 min. You are probably used to snow in CT, too!

45 min would put you in Louisville, which I think you'd love. Most of the town is quite walkable, and there's lots to walk to, e.g. restaurants downtown, the library also downtown, outdoor pool in old town (soon to be replaced); rec center is walkable for most people. Boulder Valley Schools. I'm not a huge one for "best" districts, but BVSD gets high ratings.

Lafayette is another option, though the nicer houses are in less walkable neighborhoods (IMO). Also BVSD schools. Broomfield has pockets of walkability; several school districts-northwestern portion is BVSD, northeastern is Adams 12, southern is Jefferson County. Broomfield would put you much closer to Denver. Parts of Westminster would work for you, too, IMO; Jefferson and Adams 12 schools.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
That was my first thought in regards to suburbs.
Downtown Parker & Belmar might also be options.
I don't think there's much walkable to downtown Parker.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
While I understand your hesitancy about enrolling your kids in the district you'll be working for, I do think that you are most likely to find the type of living situation you want within one of the residential neighborhoods of Denver. As noted, you do have to make sure you are living someplace zoned for one of the good schools in the district, but there are several excellent ones at the elementary level. Middle schools can be a little more problematic but there are still some good choices. East is the best comprehensive high school but there are a lot of other good options too, including magnets and charters (also some of those for middle school, too).

You might want to talk to some of your future work colleagues about whether they live in Denver and have their kids enrolled in DPS and see what they say. I don't work for the school district but I'm an involved parent at my kid's school and know a number of administrators and faculty members who have been happy with how it's worked out to have their kids in a DPS school.

And I can tell you as a parent, it's extremely helpful to live closer rather than farther from both home and your kid's school. I had about a 45 minute commute when my son started elementary and I missed so much because it took too much out of my day to try to get to any school activities. Once I changed jobs and worked closer to his school, I could participate so much more and it's been great.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^I do not think Denver is the "only" answer. Many of the suburban cities have walkable downtowns with shops, restaurants, etc, and all the suburbs have some walkable areas.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:11 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't think there's much walkable to downtown Parker.
I suppose the area right off of Main could be considered walkable but it's a stretch if you ask me.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I do not think Denver is the "only" answer. Many of the suburban cities have walkable downtowns with shops, restaurants, etc, and all the suburbs have some walkable areas.
I said most likely, not the only option. But I also think that living close to work and kid's school is worth putting pretty high up on the must have list, as I also mentioned. Even putting weather aside, commutes in the Denver metro area are only getting worse, not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver