Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:43 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,592,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I've brought this up many times and the point still stands - major cities don't have people move and "absorb" culture, they have people move to contribute to an evolving culture. Denver seems to be against the latter with people flooding in and that's what will inevitably prevent it from growing up.

Denver can build as many new apartment buildings as they want but a shift in culture on a city level needs to occur. Your advice shouldn't be "move on" but "thanks, tell me more on our ills to make it a better experience."
Perhaps not a more millennial statement has ever been uttered. It's also not even close to accurate. Tell New York that it needs more rodeo. Tell New Orleans that it needs more Kansas City BBQ and less emphasis on Cajun culture.

What you are saying is Denver should be less about what makes it unique and more like everywhere else.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:43 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,814,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It's a slow newsday with the orange menace out playing golf and not twitting while sitting on his gold crapper.
Hahaha meanwhile Mattis is out working his butt off on North Korea issues

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,735,183 times
Quote:
Then why is it then, I want to say like 50-75% of all dates I go on off the apps the question always comes up as "So what do you do up in the mountains?" My response as of lately is the following:

1. Earlier this year, I was moving unexpectedly between jobs and didn't want to loose clients so I didn't have time to go snowboarding.

2. The weather conditions for winter sports were bad because we had a mild winter. There was no point in trying to wake up on a weekend to battle traffic to look for conditions that were on par with the weak conditions that make up much of the East Coast.

3. My job takes priority, and lately I don't have time to be exploring mountains when I need time to unwind and sleep.

4. I'm not waking up at 5am on a Saturday to do a 14er.

When I'm pretty frank (and/or slightly critical about these factors) I immediately get backlash. I don't think it's fair when I put work first and I know many who get out and explore the mountains when they have jobs they can manage around it - teaching, nursing, freelance etc.

Working for a living is not pathetic, but jumping to conclusions when not understanding my whole situation is, yes "NARROW AND PATHETIC." Go figure it out.
You could just say something along the lines of "My work keeps me too busy to go to the mountains." Darned near everybody has been in that situation and can relate. You are making this a bigger divide than it needs to be.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Dude, get off of it. There's no "eating alive" in a place like Denver. It's a B class city for a reason - sorry to hear you have an issue with Vegas but that's not the culture out there either. And screw camping, that's a dangerous slash dirty outdoor activity. I went to sleep away camp in Maine for a few years and had my Nalgene bottle and everything. It's something you do when you're 14, not 30.
There it is again. "People who like something I don't like are narrow, pathetic, Class B, childish, lazy, yadayadayad..."

Old 09-04-2017, 07:41 PM

34,268 posts, read 18,645,309 times
Does N610DL = November 6-1-0 Delta Lima by any chance?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 PM

3,081 posts, read 2,422,154 times
It's not you, OP. I'm a native Coloradan living in Indiana. Before I even moved a stick of furniture, I knew more people in my neighborhood here than I did in my neighborhood in Englewood, where I'd lived for 20 years. Every Hoosier I've talked to who's been to Colorado has remarked how unfriendly the people are. I agree with them.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:37 PM

Can't wait to see what Narrow and Pathetic's opinion of Indiana is, after that comment putting down "transplants from the Midwest in Denver."

The Sour Grapes Serenade

Narrow and Pathetic, that's what I think of youuuuuuu.
As I sit all blurry-eyed and sob into my brewwwww.
Don't want no purple majesty
Or amber fields of grain.
The only time I tried to hike I got an ankle sprain!
So take your Rocky Mountains and bikes and snowboards, tooooooo.
'Cuz I'm a global urbanite who thinks your city is poooooo.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-04-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,592,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There it is again. "People who like something I don't like are narrow, pathetic, Class B, childish, lazy, yadayadayad..."
But he owned a Nalgene bottle once so he clearly understands being outdoors.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Well, we've run amok here, so I will "adjust" this thread to the closed setting. I think we're all bored with this long weekend but we need to stop picking each other's scabs. Myself, I miss the stock market when it's closed and end up in the Food forums.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver