Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In MA, the Mass Pike (I-90), 2 tunnels, and a bridge are all-electronic since 2016
I know. I drove it for two years that way, since I had an EZpass transponder. The northeast has had "electronic tolls" for a couple of decades, I believe. The only real change was that you could drive through the leftmost lanes at full speed (with big-ass transponder antennas overhead), instead of having to slow-go through a gate.

But there were still manual-pay lanes, and attended booths at most gates. The same seems to be true for all the roads that are converting to high-speed drive-through tolls: it may be the fast option and one savvy drivers will opt for, but it's not the ONLY option as it is with E470.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I know. I drove it for two years that way, since I had an EZpass transponder. The northeast has had "electronic tolls" for a couple of decades, I believe. The only real change was that you could drive through the leftmost lanes at full speed (with big-ass transponder antennas overhead), instead of having to slow-go through a gate.

But there were still manual-pay lanes, and attended booths at most gates. The same seems to be true for all the roads that are converting to high-speed drive-through tolls: it may be the fast option and one savvy drivers will opt for, but it's not the ONLY option as it is with E470.
And what we are telling you is that this is not specific to Colorado but we do understand your frustration.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:

Those are gone now. Its ALL electronic (pay-by-plate) now. See page 5 of http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Porta...nD1_022317.pdf where it says:

"The end of cash tolls has allowed MassDOT to save on personnel costs"

More at Toll Plaza Demolition Project - Highway - MassDOT

Old 04-25-2018, 09:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The ideal is a single, common system, nationwide, with our license plates registered to use any toll road in the country with the amount of the toll deducted from our account balance. Key is to have funds on file, as I did when I had the E-Z Pass or whatever it was called for highway 470. That's been a couple of years now since I was up there.
There's been a longtime push toward what's called 'interoperability' at the federal level including a 2012 law passed by Congress that there was supposed to be a universal transponder option by 2016. While there has been decent regional progress toward that in some areas, the incompatibility and bureaucracy issues among toll systems are more significant than first realized.

https://www.wired.com/story/national-tolling-system/

Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Quote:
Because you told it to, all "magically" and stuff, right?

So yes, yes, we're down to the "only stupid people would get caught by this" argument, more or less.

Is there ANY other toll road in the US that is (1) completely automatic, based on license plate reads; (2) has no payment options for drivers on the road and (3) has no off-road payment options (online, kiosks, store service, whatever)? While increasingly automated tolls are definitely the coming thing, I can't think of another system like E470's, where it's "avoid or die."

I'd love to know the stats on rental car tolls - prepaid, postpaid with penalty, etc. I'd bet it's substantial, whether they pay $50 or so in advance, $10 a day or $15-per-toll in arrears.

There really needs to be a notification system for DIA renters. A notice in the rental office, a highway sign well before they reach E470. But it will never happen, 'cuz who cares about stupid people, right?
Again, you put in the address, and the app gives you options including if there's toll on a route. You can pick whichever route. I was driving to Indianapolis and chose a tolled route, because it was faster by quite a bit. There was not a booth on my route, and I was charged for toll. Again, magic, but totally anticipated.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Again, you put in the address, and the app gives you options including if there's toll on a route. You can pick whichever route. I was driving to Indianapolis and chose a tolled route, because it was faster by quite a bit. There was not a booth on my route, and I was charged for toll. Again, magic, but totally anticipated.
That's great.

If you don't know that you can't pay tolls manually and the rental company is going to raid your bank account in arrears, none of this changes anything.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Those are gone now. Its ALL electronic (pay-by-plate) now.
Okay. Ain't done no drivin' there since mid-2017 and had an EZpass for five years before that.

I'd have to dig to see what options there are for people who want to avoid license-plate billing. Since the NE has had tolls forever, I'd suspect there is a better driver-info and payment option system, even if tolls are now gateless.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That's great.

If you don't know that you can't pay tolls manually and the rental company is going to raid your bank account in arrears, none of this changes anything.
I chose to go the tolled route, so I knew I was going to pay, whether it's manually or with a transponder/license plate, I didn't care. I'm happy to report my bank account was fine, and it did change something, I got to my meeting in time, exactly what a tolled road is for. Use a decent nav app to avoid toll roads if you don't want to go pay, and look up the routes of your future travels if you are concerned about getting into a tolled situation.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I chose to go the tolled route, so I knew I was going to pay, whether it's manually or with a transponder/license plate, I didn't care. I'm happy to report my bank account was fine, and it did change something, I got to my meeting in time, exactly what a tolled road is for. Use a decent nav app to avoid toll roads if you don't want to go pay, and look up the routes of your future travels if you are concerned about getting into a tolled situation.
You're completely missing the point of the OP and this thread. Most rental car visitors aren't going to be aware there ARE any toll roads here (1, count 'em, 1), and are not going to be aware of the special nature of tolls on it. There is next to no notification or warning about this situation, anywhere. Like an endless number of things in CO, it's just one of those super-special things you have to learn by tripping over them.

Yes, yes, they are all stupid people who get what they deserve. Got it.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You're completely missing the point of the OP and this thread. Most rental car visitors aren't going to be aware there ARE any toll roads here (1, count 'em, 1), and are not going to be aware of the special nature of tolls on it. There is next to no notification or warning about this situation, anywhere. Like an endless number of things in CO, it's just one of those super-special things you have to learn by tripping over them.

Yes, yes, they are all stupid people who get what they deserve. Got it.
Now now, no need to be rude and call our visitors names. 1) plug in address in nav app, 2) don't go on toll roads and profit. Guess what, you didn't even need to know there was a toll road to begin with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: