Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Been scouring the forum for information but thought I'd post my own question, since everyone's parameters are a little different. I'm considering a new job based in west Lakewood (Cole Blvd, Denver West area) and I'm trying to figure out if it would be the right move for me. I'm currently in Corvallis, OR, which is a really lovely, very progressive, supremely bikable/walkable college town of about 55,000 people (incl. students). Complaints about the town are that it's a little too far from proper mountains and it's kind of a social dead-end for someone who's 41 and doesn't have kids. I know I won't find the same kind of place in the Denver area (at least not one that I could afford), but I'm trying to figure out if there are any decent options.

Here's my perfect world scenario:
-Max 15 - 20 min commute that doesn't involve sitting in traffic and ideally avoids major highways
-Single family home at least 1000 sq ft with a good yard for gardening for about $400,000 max (prefer older with character to new construction)
-Can hop on my road bike right from the house and get in a lot of attractive miles of riding
-Can easily and quickly access dirt trails for after work trail runs
-Can easily access long hikes in foothills and high peaks on weekends
-Is a progressive and friendly community
-Is a community not dominated by commercial sprawl and ideally has a real downtown center
-Has a couple decent restaurants (by decent, I mean things that lean towards seasonal, local, veggie)

If I thought I could afford Golden I'd have already made the decision to make the move, but unfortunately I don't think that's an option. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:24 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Dig into Golden more.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Maybe Arvada. It was a separate city before it got incorporated into the Denver metro area. It’s not far from the foothills or Lakewood although possibly too far from the former to easily hop on you bike and ride there after work.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
I wouldn't give up on Golden yet. It sounds like it would be a good match for what you are looking for. There are homes that come up under or around $400,000, they may need some updating but they would put you in a spot you might actually enjoy living in and give you some of that character you are looking for.

Golden is definitely going to be the best match in giving you what you are looking for above while still being an OK commute for you.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Maybe Arvada. It was a separate city before it got incorporated into the Denver metro area. It’s not far from the foothills or Lakewood although possibly too far from the former to easily hop on you bike and ride there after work.
This is what I was thinking but also agree you shouldn’t give up on Golden.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada and Golden are all within the desired perimeters. Take a look at REColorado.com

Maybe this one near Sloan’s Lake. http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...0214-247643001

Last edited by 2bindenver; 08-06-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisina10 View Post
Hi folks,
Been scouring the forum for information but thought I'd post my own question, since everyone's parameters are a little different. I'm considering a new job based in west Lakewood (Cole Blvd, Denver West area) and I'm trying to figure out if it would be the right move for me. I'm currently in Corvallis, OR, which is a really lovely, very progressive, supremely bikable/walkable college town of about 55,000 people (incl. students). Complaints about the town are that it's a little too far from proper mountains and it's kind of a social dead-end for someone who's 41 and doesn't have kids. I know I won't find the same kind of place in the Denver area (at least not one that I could afford), but I'm trying to figure out if there are any decent options.

-Max 15 - 20 min commute that doesn't involve sitting in traffic and ideally avoids major highways
-Single family home at least 1000 sq ft with a good yard for gardening for about $400,000 max (prefer older with character to new construction)
-Can hop on my road bike right from the house and get in a lot of attractive miles of riding
-Is a community not dominated by commercial sprawl and ideally has a real downtown center
-Has a couple decent restaurants (by decent, I mean things that lean towards seasonal, local, veggie)

If I thought I could afford Golden I'd have already made the decision to make the move, but unfortunately I don't think that's an option. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Have you considered Lakewood?

https://www.denver.org/about-denver/...lmar-lakewood/

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...Lakewood%2C+CO

In Lakewood, with a great property:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...73_rect/11_zm/

Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks!
I agree that Golden is the perfect place, but there has not been a single family detached home under $400K in Golden Proper over the past six months, where you'd have easy access to the shops and amenities of Downtown Golden. The bulk of the under $400K homes in Golden sit on the outskirts, either in the Denver West area where 6th meets I-70 or to the far north in the Apple Meadows neighborhood (around 58th & Highway 93). The Apple Meadows area would provide great trails for running and biking, and quick access to foothill hiking, but it is definitely apart from Downtown and the homes are primarily 1970s era split-levels and ranches.

Olde Town Arvada could be interesting from a housing stock perspective and the lively feel of the commercial area. Biking and running options are more limited, but Ralston Creek provides miles of trail. From a restaurant standpoint, I can't think of any restaurants in Arvada are doing much seasonal/local/veggie based food.

I also think Edgewater (and the part of Wheat Ridge near Edgewater) could be a good option. Lots of homes with character. Edgewater has a cute and tiny commercial center along 25th Ave and is planning to create the Edgewater Public Market (Edgewater Public Market Plans for 20th and Depew Move Forward – Edgewater Echo). It is also close to Sloan Lake and many of Denver's restaurants, where your more likely to find seasonal/local/veggie options. I think this may also fit your social needs better as a single 41 y/o. Biggest drawback is that biking in the area will occur primarily on city streets.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:

Thanks!
As you found out, the above combo does not exist—unless you can take on “projects.”

SFH under $400k with a real downtown, within 20 minutes of Denver West office park, there could be some fixers, maybe. Assuming that those don’t get snapped up by flippers these days, just to get the location.

Even more than 27 years ago, within Golden city limits the houses were small, old, tired AND overpriced. At that time, they were below $400k...at a time when those houses would sell for less than $100k if they were elsewhere.

There was a time when Arvada was inexpensive but I suspect the style of houses do not fit your ideals. Besides, for them to have a real downtown puts them much more than a 20-minute drive from Denver West office park.

The other problem is requiring that the place be “progressive” by PNW standards. Live and let live, sure. Best not try to turn metro Denver into NW OR I-5 corridor. If you ditch this requirement and the real-downtown one, you might find something acceptable for $400k.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I'd go with Golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver