Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 03:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

I wonder what their plans are for water for the above homes and industries. The Post should cover this as this is a very important aspect of any development in the area, especially one this size.
From this study, it looks like a combo of Aurora water, Denver water, and the South Adams Water and Sanitation District which gets a lot of it's water from Denver. Aerotropolis is partially in each water district and they will all supply to the development in their district. Denver Water can not serve areas outside the Denver City limits. It doesn't look like a lot of the project is in the City of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm not excited about this because of the geography of where it is. By the time you get out there, you are firmly on the plains, not on the front range. Who wants to live on the plains? Also it's between the crappy **** smelling part of Denver, the NE corner, and the airport, which is noisy.

I get it we need affordable homes, but increasingly it's becoming apparent the front range is kind of full. Each extra person piling in here is getting less and less of a deal as the good spots are taken up. I don't think eastern US cities have this same problem nearly as much, because development in all directions is equally preferable.

I wish there was more development inside the mountains. That's the part of Colorado that really differentiates it. I wish there was more corporate presence in Summit County. I wish Steamboat or Alimosa was a full sized small city. I wish we were seeing 23,000 homes inside mountain communities. I wish more retirees would (or could) move up there. For as pretty as the mountains are though, they are a real hindrance to development. I guess that's what it comes down to. Building west wouldn't solve the inequality aspect, but I think in the long run, that's where the demand and future of the state will be.
Not a whole lot of NIMBY thinking in the metro area outside of Boulder, but get up in the mountains and its a battle to put up anything. They have much higher real estate values to protect and have a lot more reserved land for parks/forests/etc. It would be nice if there was more development in the mountains, but I just can't see it happening.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
I'm not excited about this because of the geography of where it is. By the time you get out there, you are firmly on the plains, not on the front range. Who wants to live on the plains? Also it's between the crappy **** smelling part of Denver, the NE corner, and the airport, which is noisy.

I get it we need affordable homes, but increasingly it's becoming apparent the front range is kind of full. Each extra person piling in here is getting less and less of a deal as the good spots are taken up. I don't think eastern US cities have this same problem nearly as much, because development in all directions is equally preferable.

I wish there was more development inside the mountains. That's the part of Colorado that really differentiates it. I wish there was more corporate presence in Summit County. I wish Steamboat or Alimosa was a full sized small city. I wish we were seeing 23,000 homes inside mountain communities. I wish more retirees would (or could) move up there. For as pretty as the mountains are though, they are a real hindrance to development. I guess that's what it comes down to. Building west wouldn't solve the inequality aspect, but I think in the long run, that's where the demand and future of the state will be.
FWIW, all of Denver, Ft Collins, Pueblo, and a large % of Cos were built on the plains and filled in over time. These places will too and while you may not find them aesthetically pleasing, the fact they are still selling as fast as they are built means there are many thousands who don't find them offensive enough to turn them away.

Also, not all of the areas east of I-25 are flat as a pancake. The Purgatorie River valley east of Walsenburg and Trinidad is full of bluffs and rolling hills. IMO, the bigger challenge is how do you translate the growth that is smothering the Denver metro area into other points along the Front Range south of Colo Spgs where there are still plenty of places to grow.

Development in the mountains has always been more expensive than eastern CO. That was the biggest impediment 150 years ago, its still one of the challenges today. Now it also has the added challenge of securing enough legal water for significant development as there are still families with primary rights that they won't give them up and those willing to sell their rights have sold out the the major metros decades ago. There isn't enough attorney power in these mountain communities to pursue enough legal action to make it feasible. Development further into the mountains, if done on a large scale, would still be massively expensive and because of the locations, would never be affordable. The only affordability in it would be if it was significant enough in size and scope to make places less desirable in Denver, which I can't see happening.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:37 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
FWIW, all of Denver, Ft Collins, Pueblo, and a large % of Cos were built on the plains and filled in over time. These places will too and while you may not find them aesthetically pleasing, the fact they are still selling as fast as they are built means there are many thousands who don't find them offensive enough to turn them away.

Also, not all of the areas east of I-25 are flat as a pancake. The Purgatorie River valley east of Walsenburg and Trinidad is full of bluffs and rolling hills. IMO, the bigger challenge is how do you translate the growth that is smothering the Denver metro area into other points along the Front Range south of Colo Spgs where there are still plenty of places to grow.

Development in the mountains has always been more expensive than eastern CO. That was the biggest impediment 150 years ago, its still one of the challenges today. Now it also has the added challenge of securing enough legal water for significant development as there are still families with primary rights that they won't give them up and those willing to sell their rights have sold out the the major metros decades ago. There isn't enough attorney power in these mountain communities to pursue enough legal action to make it feasible. Development further into the mountains, if done on a large scale, would still be massively expensive and because of the locations, would never be affordable. The only affordability in it would be if it was significant enough in size and scope to make places less desirable in Denver, which I can't see happening.
The difference with Aerotropolis is that it's further from the mountains than most all of the other front range developments. From Banning Lewis in COS, you can still reach the mountains in less than an hour. It'd take you almost an hour without traffic to get to the mountains from out there.

The SE part of the state does have pretty areas, although I feel like a person could get a similar environment and price range in NM while being closer to civilization. That area is pretty removed from everything.

I always thought that if you handed over some money, you could get water from a willing seller. That may not be the case though. On the other hand, with 5G internet rolling out here within the next 6-8 years, I believe that that will solve the connection problem small towns and rural areas face and will allow for someone to have a WFH job out in the boonies. Internet connection is a critical problem inhibiting that now. Coupled with the ecommerce boom, it should be a lot easier to get a lot of basic necessities delivered to you instead of having to live near them.

I just feel like in 30-50 years, the future of the state is west, not east. That's where people are going to retire to and WFHs will migrate to. When oil and gas are no longer as critical, when the country as a whole has more a lot more cash to spend, when air travel is much more dispersed... I feel like the draw of a beautiful natural environment will overpower the economies of scale that Denver has.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
The difference with Aerotropolis is that it's further from the mountains than most all of the other front range developments. From Banning Lewis in COS, you can still reach the mountains in less than an hour. It'd take you almost an hour without traffic to get to the mountains from out there.

The SE part of the state does have pretty areas, although I feel like a person could get a similar environment and price range in NM while being closer to civilization. That area is pretty removed from everything.

I always thought that if you handed over some money, you could get water from a willing seller. That may not be the case though. On the other hand, with 5G internet rolling out here within the next 6-8 years, I believe that that will solve the connection problem small towns and rural areas face and will allow for someone to have a WFH job out in the boonies. Internet connection is a critical problem inhibiting that now. Coupled with the ecommerce boom, it should be a lot easier to get a lot of basic necessities delivered to you instead of having to live near them.

I just feel like in 30-50 years, the future of the state is west, not east. That's where people are going to retire to and WFHs will migrate to. When oil and gas are no longer as critical, when the country as a whole has more a lot more cash to spend, when air travel is much more dispersed... I feel like the draw of a beautiful natural environment will overpower the economies of scale that Denver has.
Most retirees will not move away from larger population centers that have the medical providers and facilities people need at increasing rates as they age.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:47 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Most retirees will not move away from larger population centers that have the medical providers and facilities people need at increasing rates as they age.
Yeah and I can't see anyone wanting to live out their golden years way out there in a field.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:

That area isn’t really “far removed.”
There has been a ton of development along Tower/Airport from 56th south in the six years I’ve lived in Aurora.
It’s close enough to Buckley AFB to appeal to military families, close enough to Anschutz, etc. to appeal to people working at the campus on Colfax and minutes from the airport for regular business travelers.
Not everyone bases their choice of living location on how close it is to the mountains.
I sure didn’t.

Beautiful as it is, I have no desire to retire in the (far) western part of the state. I want/need to be close to medical providers, the airport, in-Denver amenities, etc.
As for NM, I lived in NM and while it has much to recommend it, I know too many people who have had to leave the state to get decent medical care, so...

Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yeah and I can't see anyone wanting to live out their golden years way out there in a field.
To each his or her own.

Isn’t it nice to have choices?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This.

The trend in the past few years has been for empty-nesters and those older to leave the more remote suburbs of child-raising for more urban areas that offer more options for close medical care, public transportation and the like.
That’s certainly what I see myself doing in the next year or so.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
My parents learned that the hard way when they sold their property in San Diego and moved to Prescott Valley, AZ. They are having a hard time finding the level of medical care they had in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver