Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 AM

177 posts, read 176,224 times

Advertisements

So there are lots of factors involved with such a thing.

Where is the next great place to live and build value in denver? I am a mid 20s single guy. I'm not too afraid of the "ghetto" (I live a block off colfax and race which some people consider SO crazy)

I'd want to get a roommate for a while to make building equity easier. This would mean living in a place that a roommate would actually want lol.

I'd like to either be close to a lightrail to commute to denver (<30 mins if possible) (arvada.... looking at you! that lightrail is coming soon!), OR I'd like to bike (bike to lightrail and/or bike to work downtown).

Looking at townhouses/houses. Condos meh.

I don't care for the nicest neighborhood *today*. But I would love be pleasantly surprised to see everything gentrified out.

Under 300k range!

Last edited by jweb29; 11-27-2018 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Detroit; for maximizing your return.

Light rail is never coming to Arvada.

I would look at Wheat Ridge. Sheridan to Wads and 32nd to 41st.
Also look a bit south of there in Edgewater.
Not ghetto.

Somewhat sketchy: Morrison Road from Alameda to Mississippi.

Last edited by davebarnes; 11-27-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 08:48 AM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
Honestly, if you think anything in Denver today is "ghetto"...than you are not going to find what you are looking for under 300K.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Real estate is all about location. Focus on the least expensive part of a desirable neighborhood. Look for a property that is at a discount because of something you can fix. Don't buy properties that have issues you can't fix like crappy schools or on a busy road.

Millennials are getting older and should be moving out of apartments into places with a yard for the kid or dog.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
If you can find any place under $300K close to the city, that is where you will get the greatest returns. However, there are not a lot of options. I think Barnum and Westwood could be some interesting options---the city is investing heavily into Morrison Rd in the Westwood neighborhood and there are opportunities for higher density development, the neighborhood still has a long way to go. Barnum is further along, but I don't ever think it will become a hip and trendy neighborhood.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
I would buy along the north metro rail line that hasn't opened yet.

RTD

Old 11-27-2018, 01:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,612 times
I think everything in Denver has already "arrived"... You don't hear people calling any neighborhoods as "up & coming"... Maybe you can find something in Aurora... things seem to be changing there a lot lately.

Also, what's so crazy/ghetto about Colfax and Race? You can literally walk to Ogden or Fillmore, or the City Park. If that's a ghetto then you don't know Denver.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:35 PM

177 posts, read 176,224 times
I don't consider it ghetto at all. I think its one of the best neighborhoods in the city! But some people do. Maybe they are miseducated. I understand denver doesn't have much of a ghetto. I'm from the east where ****ty neighborhoods are everywhere.

But if there WERE a ghetto, where would it be?

@dave, why do you say lightrail is never going to arvada? There appears to be a line being tested as we speak, no?
http://www.rtd-denver.com/g-line.shtml

Yeah i've looked at morrison road. "westwood".
public transportation SUCKS there lol. In reality i'll probably pay a premium for a nicer place around cole or something, since that place is getting built out a LOT

Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
I don't consider it ghetto at all. I think its one of the best neighborhoods in the city! But some people do. Maybe they are miseducated. I understand denver doesn't have much of a ghetto. I'm from the east where ****ty neighborhoods are everywhere.

But if there WERE a ghetto, where would it be?

@dave, why do you say lightrail is never going to arvada? There appears to be a line being tested as we speak, no?
RTD

Yeah i've looked at morrison road. "westwood".
public transportation SUCKS there lol. In reality I'll probably pay a premium for a nicer place around cole or something, since that place is getting built out a LOT
Haha, okay, if there WERE a ghetto a bunch of investors would have already flocked it, bought up everything, flipped it and sold it for above 400K. Homes in areas like Clayton, Cole, Whittier, etc... haven't seen anything under 300 since 2014 (I am talking about SFH, not condos/townhomes, I have no idea about that segment of the real estate). Even then you'd get a distressed house that you had to pour at least 50K to make it liveable. Turnkey properties even back in 2014 weren't under 300K.

So, really, there are no ghettos left. People have already gentrified the s*** out of them. I recently was invited to a co-workers party... he lives in the North Park Hill area somewhere. I was pretty nervous thinking that my new Subaru may get broken in. But, when I got there I saw a bunch of newish/decent cars and a number of luxury cars parked on his street (his neighbors, obviously). All the houses in that area were flipped...I left the party around 9pm, and didn't notice any sketch.

In short, if you want an investment property look somewhere outside of Denver. The possibility of buying something in Denver under 300 (that's at least 2 bedrooms that you can share with a roommate) is probably pretty slim. You could pay a premium for a place around Cole or whatever... but don't forget with all the condos coming all over the place, rents may start stabilizing and it might get harder to find a roommate who'd be willing to pay what you want.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:54 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Try to buy the chevy in the caddilac neighborhood.

Gentrfying neighborhoods are still a risky investment.

More risk, more reward.

Dont focus on price, focus on payment.

Are you handy? Look for a fix up. Not handy? FHA 203k 3.5% down. Get fixed by a General Contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver