Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,758 times

Advertisements

Hello , I m french and just spent 2 weeks in Denver...it was my first trip to the USA.

First fear : the customs... everyone in France will tell you that US immigration officers are mean and suspicious....Well, the first person I met when I made it out of the plane ( long long trip ) was a gentle old guy, wearing a white Stetson. He was a retired volunteer and led me to the immigration officers.

The officer was a lady, nice and polite, who just asked me why I was coming to Denver...Then she wished me a nice stay...lol..I was done with the customs.

About my trip : I think Denver is a great city ; not that big, wherever I went I felt safe and secure....Downtown is beautiful, and I really enjoyed walking down the streets....Museums are really interesting ( at least for someone who comes from Europe ).

The area is great ; to the East, the plains that lead to Kansas...It might appear as nothing interesting, but for a french person, the idea of such a "vast land" helps to understand some of the American spirit.....plus, nice farms, very typical....

To the west : the Rockies....Oh my god such a paradise, such a monument. It must be seen. These mountains are a symbol of freedom and wilderness. I can't remember something that impressive......

The people : I was a little afraid, as a french person ( rumors rumors...), to be not very welcome.....Everyone I met has been nice, polite, and very curious...I spent hours talking with people in stores....

I m a hockey fan, and the pepsi center arena, where i had the chance to go, offered me a wonderful show.....

So, my stay in the US, in Denver, has been something wonderful. There was nothing negative ( as a tourist ).

If you love big space, nature, a city that is big enough to provide everything but not too big to crush you, then go to Denver. If I was asked to go there for my job, I d be happy with that.

I left with some sadness. I discovered a land that makes me want to come back, and discover even more.

That will make all of you smile, but even visiting the suburbs was nice, just because you build houses a different way we do. It's just very interesting to see something different.......

For sure I ll go back there. I can hear the call of the Rockies.

Axel.

PS : everyone in Europe thinks that US beers are pathetic...ha ha, we didn't know you had my good friend "Sam Adams", "Fat Tire" and so on....

If I can resume it in few words, what I ll remember from my stay in Colorado is...how could I say...."The Call of Freedom".

Wonderful country, Wonderful people...

I already miss you.

Last edited by akselou; 04-23-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: too many typing mistake :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Default pictures to figure out

by the way here are few pictures from Denver and area, if it might help, i don't know

there are not great quality but....

Picasa Albums Web - axel - Central City (http://picasaweb.google.fr/akselou/CentralCity?authkey=29i4eB97sYE - broken link)
Picasa Albums Web - axel - Ride (http://picasaweb.google.fr/akselou/Ride?authkey=23MWWgtYk6M - broken link)
Picasa Albums Web - axel - hockey_day (http://picasaweb.google.fr/akselou/Hockey_day?authkey=tNcVt_G9p7I - broken link)
Picasa Albums Web - axel - ZOO (http://picasaweb.google.fr/akselou/ZOO?authkey=0hgV3NEnEgA - broken link)
Picasa Albums Web - axel - DENVER (http://picasaweb.google.fr/akselou/DENVER?authkey=-OXvmSaMCWY - broken link)

cheers all

Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
akselou, [mod cut] for a wonderful post! We got to see our city and state through the eyes of not only someone from a different state but from a different country. Your post was simple but eloquent. I'm glad that you had such a good time here. [mod cut] France!

Last edited by suzco; 04-23-2008 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: English only, per Terms of Service

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
So many rumors about France and the U.S! I lived in Germany for 3 years and the Germans told me not to go to France. It was only 45 min. to drive to the French border, so of course I had to explore France many times. I found it to be beautiful and the people nice. Maybe not as nice in Paris, but what city that size doesn't have a little rudeness?

I'm glad you enjoyed Denver. The U.S. used to have horrible beer, but that's changed in the past decade with all the micro-breweries.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 PM

it makes me happy you enjoyed my post.

I just told about my very sincere feelings about the place.

About Paris, we think the same, like they always seem too busy to be nice he he.....

As you said, big cities have a "different" taste....

Paris is beautiful whatever, trust me....

but, for sure, if I had a choice about the place i would have to live in, I d choose Denver...maybe because it's different, maybe because as an half french, I always had the feeling that the world was an open place i had to discover.

Whatever, thank you colorado people for being so nice and interesting.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM

39 posts, read 181,305 times
[mod cut]
So I am glad you enjoyed our country and hope that you spread what you learned to your countrymen [mod cut]

Last edited by suzco; 04-23-2008 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: off topic for Denver forum; discuss your experiences in France in World forum

Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Mathias,

[mod cut]

Of course, since I came back, i told everyone I know about how we were welcome there. All my friends were so curious about my trip.

[mod cut]
Cheers

Axel

Last edited by suzco; 04-23-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Post you were responding to was edited; (off-topic for Denver)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselou View Post
Whatever, thank you colorado people for being so nice and interesting.
Your posts were very gracious, akselou, thanks so much for sharing with us.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
Simple, yet excellent post about your experience in Denver! I'm sure glad you enjoyed your stay!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM

indeed lol....there are so many things I still have to discover there ..and I really was sad to leave so...just one thing to do : come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver