Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 02:58 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times

Advertisements

Do not consider the "Berkely area" or you will wind up in a horrible part of unincorporated Adams County.

Take a close look at the Berkeley neighborhood in Denver.

There are numerous units on Tennyson Street for sale.
See https://www.zillow.com/berkeley-denv...false%7D%7D%7D
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 PM

824 posts, read 705,060 times
where ever you end up, locate near a RTD lite rail station. The stations have free park & ride but some fill up early. Lite rail can be expensive. get the maps and rates at RTD *(303) 299-6000‬

freeways are mostly grid locked here.

there is fiber internet to select neighborhoods.

Wash Park or Platt Park have single family homes but still in the city

Old 06-23-2020, 05:41 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I think you are smart to check near the edges of Denver. (However, although this might not be a concern for you, too close to the city, and the areas are usually rundown with the population to match -- although, of course, this is my opinion. The further from downtown Denver a community is, the more it will be like a family-oriented suburb and it will probably be TOO quiet for your liking -- and if you go even further out, it will probably be much too rural for you. Based on your post, I am another person who would suggest the Highlands area for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Btw, the zip codes for Highlands are 80211 and 80212 if you want to check out possible homes.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:57 PM

131 posts, read 295,297 times
Thank you all, this has been very helpful for me. I am locating other areas I will search here and learn about.

City Park, University Park, Lincoln Park all have some real nice townhouses that I like too.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
Look into the West Colfax neighborhood. New townhouses are going in south of Colfax/south of Sloans Lake. There is a trail system there. The Lakewood Gulch trail that goes all the way to the river. The W Line is also there. There is a small section I would consider. Stuart Street, maybe one street to a little past Quitman. Don’t look closer to Sheridan than that and don’t look at anything on Perry (way too busy) and not the best area east of that.

We live on a park so for us, lots of trees and greenery and along the gulch it’s very green as well. We have unobstructed views of the mountains and also views of downtown from our rooftop. Our situation is rare but you can probably find Mountain View’s from rooftops in this general area.

It’s generally quiet as far as city goes. And easy access to downtown. We can ride our bikes on the path all the way to downtown. During non pandemic times we hop on the train to go to the Pepsi Center, or downtown for shows and dinner. We can walk to Broncos Stadium.

It’s an up and coming area so be aware of that. It does have its issues. But overall it’s a great area and sounds like it might be a great fit.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:15 PM

131 posts, read 295,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereTheSidewalkEnds View Post
Look into the West Colfax neighborhood. New townhouses are going in south of Colfax/south of Sloans Lake. There is a trail system there. The Lakewood Gulch trail that goes all the way to the river. The W Line is also there. There is a small section I would consider. Stuart Street, maybe one street to a little past Quitman. Don’t look closer to Sheridan than that and don’t look at anything on Perry (way too busy) and not the best area east of that.

We live on a park so for us, lots of trees and greenery and along the gulch it’s very green as well. We have unobstructed views of the mountains and also views of downtown from our rooftop. Our situation is rare but you can probably find Mountain View’s from rooftops in this general area.

It’s generally quiet as far as city goes. And easy access to downtown. We can ride our bikes on the path all the way to downtown. During non pandemic times we hop on the train to go to the Pepsi Center, or downtown for shows and dinner. We can walk to Broncos Stadium.

It’s an up and coming area so be aware of that. It does have its issues. But overall it’s a great area and sounds like it might be a great fit.
Thanks for bringing this up. I actually found some spots there as well and was wondering about that area. Appreciate the specifics on the streets too. Sounds like you found a really nice townhouse! It definitely sounds like something I would like. quiet, trails, riding bikes, walking to spots. I love those things.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:06 PM

405 posts, read 449,416 times
Check out Edgewater and Sloan's Lake neighborhoods

Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
I wouldn't move right next to downtown, you won't like it in the long run. I am similar to you in the love for outdoor rec. I am able to enjoy it a lot more now that I'm not near downtown Denver.

There's several issues being next to downtown

1. You always have to drive 30-45 minutes to get outside activities, any of the greenspace within Denver proper and the immediate foothills is well beyond overcrowded. It's not an issue on weekends but it kind of rules out weekday activity, especially with traffic on the highways from 4-6:30 PM if that picks back up
2. Noise, well it's always noisy there
3. Air pollution sucks and the whole downtown area smells like dead cats 2x a week
4. Downtown sucks now. It's really tanked. The homeless are out in full force worse than ever, everything's shut and many things won't come back. For long term investment, you might not want to pay that $200,000 premium to be close, cause you might not get it back in resale.

Sloans lake is different. It's up and coming, but where it came from is a grungy, just weird area. Just west of Denver around Federal Blvd, there's this big donut of unattractive grunge. It's gentrified to some extent, but not completely.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:00 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
OP-I come from Pinecrest and am currently living in West Littleton in suburbia, lol. Denver is definitely different than Brickell. Weather is a ton nicer but it's just as expensive to live here. Do your research and speak with a well rated real estate agent

Old 06-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Your interests seem primarily outdoor, perfect for North (West) Colorado Springs.

*Work from home, come to Denver once in a great while when traffic is light(er) (if you must)

in COS, you won't be fighting with 10 zillion Denver folks trying to race to recreation.

If you are a family soon. Suburbia is OK, but I prefer 'walkable city' if I must live in a city (which I have not while in USA, but no choice when in Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong. While working in Barcelona I found a very nice smaller community (monastery from 1700) within commute distance. There are a few gems (small towns) within reach of Denver or COS.
They have their own identity / interests / events, / way to be 'community', but Denver suburbia is miles and miles of identical / mirror image houses & privacy fences (that blow over in the wind (good PT business to do fencing). You will seldom know your neighbors (+/-).

Working from home takes on a whole new meaning when you have a great view. COS has many! You can reside in the NW Tech area near Garden of Gods and venture out on your bike often during the day and bike through the park.

If you must live in Denver... keep it close to work and if you want to 'get-away' for the weekend, leave on Weds morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver