Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 02:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times

Advertisements

Similar experience as hikenbike with regard to living a long time in the foothills. We eventually knew it was time to leave, partly due to high fire hazard, partly due to unwillingness to continue dealing with the heavy snowfall, and for a whole bunch of other reasons.

I still think of that house as Home, oddly enough. It was where I came to love the quiet, dark skies, and steep ridges so much that it was a turning point in my life, except I didn’t realize it. LOTS of memories there, both joyful and painful. We then (mistakenly) moved to an in-town place in a very different state and stayed only a few years before moving back to a different part of CO.

We still have fire risk, plenty of it, and there is snow. Just not quite as much. Sometimes it is just a matter of degree. Before the foothills house, I had lived in lower foothills homes for about ten years. The snow and fire risk in those places was not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 02:25 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikenbike View Post
Insurance rates in these areas can be significantly higher and some insurance companies won't touch them.
Since the OP says she is gone I'll take the liberty of hijacking the thread...

Do you know of any resources for estimating insurance costs, short of getting quotes on specific properties? I've been assuming it's largely a matter of two things... proximity to forested areas, and distance/availability of firefighting resources. But I really don't have a feel for what the pricing difference can be.

Fire risk scares me, and because of that I'm inclined to live in an incorporated area that has fire plugs and some sort of local fire dept.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times
I can confirm 2 feet in Aspen Park/Conifer yesterday as well (drove back from Durango and US 285 was hell from Poncha Springs on).

No help with the schools here; I did know a guy who went to Conifer and he was your typical preppy/chosen child. I myself like things far simpler than foothill living would provide, I cannot ascertain that the benefits would exceed the drawbacks for most people.

I also recommend looking at/around Colorado Springs, Douglas County, in other states as well (WA, OR, ID, CA).

Old 11-27-2019, 05:09 PM

63 posts, read 87,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

Do you know of any resources for estimating insurance costs, short of getting quotes on specific properties? I've been assuming it's largely a matter of two things... proximity to forested areas, and distance/availability of firefighting resources. But I really don't have a feel for what the pricing difference can be.

Fire risk scares me, and because of that I'm inclined to live in an incorporated area that has fire plugs and some sort of local fire dept.

I think getting quotes on specific properties is the only way to know for sure. When I was house hunting I called an insurance company when I was ready to make an offer on a house and was surprised to find they considered it to be in a fairly high fire risk area. I told my realtor and she said that was crazy, gave me the number of a different insurance company and they said fire risk wasn't an issue and gave me a quote at half the price of the other company. Some areas may be more straightforward, ie obviously high fire danger. I know some people in the Boulder foothills are having issues with huge rate increases or being cancelled altogether. Same in Clear Creek Canyon. Some speculate that these homes in urban-wildland areas may become uninsurable in the future (maybe it's happening in areas of California already?) though I have no idea if that's true.

Here's an interactive map that shows wildfire risk in CO though I'd take it with a huge grain of salt. Click on Public Viewer then Identify Fire Intensity then Draw Point.

https://www.coloradowildfirerisk.com/

I'm not sure how accurate it is though because when I click on points on my property I get the full range of risk from Minimal to High, even on points right next to each other and I have no woods on my property though there are woods nearby. The insurance company does not consider it a high risk area. So it might not be so refined in some areas. And the colors seem to be meaningless. But Conifer is pretty solidly High Risk no matter where you click.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

Best thing is to call insurance companies about specific properties. When we called for estimates on a parcel we decided not to buy, the two estimates differed vastly. I mean “WTF!?” different. Where we live now, and where we used to live in the Front Range foothills, the local FD is all volunteer. It is within a few miles, just not staffed 24/7. This is nothing unusual.

Aside from proximity to forested areas, the specific defensible space cleared around the buildings matters. CO has published guidelines for suggested distances from trees, and they are defined in three zones radiating out from the house.

Good info here:
https://csfs.colostate.edu/wildfire-...from-wildfire/

Old 11-27-2019, 06:45 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Thanks for all of the information. I certainly take fire risk seriously.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,104,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
[b]If I wanted pretty flat land I would stay in my current IL suburb, which is a gorgeous area, has all the conveniences one needs and is within commuting distance of one of favorite cities. I have no interest in moving to Denver itself or one of the dense suburbs around it

“ I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it it had to teach, and not when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived.”

-Henry David Thoreau- (1817 - 1862) 45 yrs.

Happy Thanksgiving OP.
DM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 11-27-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 28,171 times
Default Internet service in evergreen/conifer area

We have been considering moving to one of these towns for a while now. Anyone care to share their feedback on internet providers? Some homes we have seen use Viasat and Rise Broadband and the reviews are not good. Would appreciate some intel from people who live in the area.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:00 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
We have been considering moving to one of these towns for a while now. Anyone care to share their feedback on internet providers? Some homes we have seen use Viasat and Rise Broadband and the reviews are not good. Would appreciate some intel from people who live in the area.
Do not consider Rise at all.
"Not good" in an understatement.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,198,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do not consider Rise at all.
"Not good" in an understatement.
X2 on Rise.

Parents have Rise in Boulder County north of Longmont since no DSL yet on the CenturyLink phone line or nearby Xfinity cable.

It uses microwave technology (have to be able to see Lookout Mtn. I think) and they pay about $65/month for something like 10-15 mbs.

Not too bad but for the price the speed sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver