Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 09:17 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So many people just stack those damn things on top of each other instead of removing the old one. If you do that 3 or 4 times, it makes the new sticker really easy for thieves to remove. Just take the plate and hit it with a hair dryer on high heat for a couple minutes. The old sticker will come off with little difficulty. Then, clean the area with some rubbing alcohol, and put the new sticker directly on the plate when the alcohol dries.
Good tip! I’ll do that next year. I had a hard time getting the old sticker off on one of my vehicles and for whatever reason, didn’t even think about using a hairdryer to heat it. So I ended up putting the current sticker over the remnant of the old one I couldn’t fully remove.

Re: expired registrations, there’s one in my neighborhood from November 2021. I walk my dogs through the neighborhood and often see it parked on the street, although it does move and is not abandoned. So maybe himain and I live near each other or have seen the same vehicle around, ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 11:24 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So many people just stack those damn things on top of each other instead of removing the old one. If you do that 3 or 4 times, it makes the new sticker really easy for thieves to remove. Just take the plate and hit it with a hair dryer on high heat for a couple minutes. The old sticker will come off with little difficulty. Then, clean the area with some rubbing alcohol, and put the new sticker directly on the plate when the alcohol dries.
...and then make two or three irregular slices with a sharp blade, so it can't be peeled off in anything but small pieces. This, over the years, has been a more fundamental protection than all of the above 'making it stick well' tips.

But yes, stacking them six high doesn't help.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Pueblo is cracking down also-

The late fee is only $100 at the DMV for late registrations so people still save money letting the registration lapse. This needs to change- make it painful for people if they do not register the vehicle on time.

People do not put a required front license plate on their cars either
(can't ruin that beautiful front end on your Audi/Corvette etc...!). The only time you may get a ticket is if you park at a meter in Denver or Boulder. Ridiculous.

Extra credit: How can you tell a newcomer is in CO.? They put the stickers on the license plates upside down, backwards, or at the TOP of the plate (!)
So right on both statements!

Late renewals have been common for at least 25 years.

The failure to install both plates on a vehicle is more recent, like maybe in the last 10 years.

While fancy cars are the worst offenders of the latter, we also see plenty of CO pickup trucks without a front plate. As if it would hurt aerodynamic or aesthetic qualities.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
While fancy cars are the worst offenders of the latter, we also see plenty of CO pickup trucks without a front plate. As if it would hurt aerodynamic or aesthetic qualities.
Most newer pickup front ends are so butt-fugly a Colorado plate would be an aesthetic improvement. They remind me of '70s pimpmobiles, only more garish.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:55 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
The failure to install both plates on a vehicle is more recent, like maybe in the last 10 years.

You’d be amazed (or maybe not?) at the number of people who say things like “oh, my car doesn’t have a place to attach a front plate, therefore I can’t put one on” and leave it at that.

You can get brackets. The majority of states in our country require two plates and brackets to mount a front plate are available for most vehicles. I just bought a vehicle from out of state that didn’t have the bracket for a front plate and I was able to get one and install it without any issues.

Old 03-05-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
You’d be amazed (or maybe not?) at the number of people who say things like “oh, my car doesn’t have a place to attach a front plate, therefore I can’t put one on” and leave it at that.

You can get brackets. The majority of states in our country require two plates and brackets to mount a front plate are available for most vehicles. I just bought a vehicle from out of state that didn’t have the bracket for a front plate and I was able to get one and install it without any issues.
Well, you know, flouting the front-plate law isn't exactly on a level with DUI or GTA. It has absolutely no purpose except for the convenience — not need — of law enforcement.

And the major reason for insisting on a front plate has nothing to do with vehicle ID at all.

Old 03-05-2023, 08:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Well, you know, flouting the front-plate law isn't exactly on a level with DUI or GTA. It has absolutely no purpose except for the convenience — not need — of law enforcement.

And the major reason for insisting on a front plate has nothing to do with vehicle ID at all.
Actually, I can think of several ways in which having both front and rear plates does help people (law enforcement or not) ID vehicles of bad drivers.

Witnesses aren’t always to the rear of a moving car. And parked cars lacking front plates that are backed up to an obscuring object do not allow ID, either.

I’ve even seen cars with NEITHER plate, something I never, ever saw anywhere else in the US. It’s probably more common now, though: one result of the general disregard for laws that’s worsened in the last two decades.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Actually, I can think of several ways in which having both front and rear plates does help people (law enforcement or not) ID vehicles of bad drivers.

Witnesses aren’t always to the rear of a moving car. And parked cars lacking front plates that are backed up to an obscuring object do not allow ID, either.
Yes, it would be convenient... as I said.

But if you're going to send the dogs after this one, maybe first they should do something about completely blacked out windows, which are illegal on the same level. I don't particularly care if I can identify a car from the front as much as I'd like to be able to see where the driver's attention is, at 4-way stops and other slightly dicey, shared-judgment events.

But hey, y'know, it's all 'freedom' or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver