Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

Ok. Here is our story:
We lived in Englewood and Parker, Colorado for a total of 5 1/2 years. We loved the summers there b/c we had a fishing-ski boat and went to a couple of nice (to us) reserviors (CC and Chatfield) for water fun......almost every weekend in the summer. Yes, there were some hot summer days there, but not like Las Vegas or Phoenix. The winters were ok, but we had a few winters that we got a lot of snow/cold weather! We were there for two major blizzards that pretty much shut down everything! We got video and photos of unbelievable lightning and blinding snow! Even had a week of very cold temps (3PM= -5 degrees on overhead temp gauge in our truck).
We really enjoyed living there, but having two surgeries (hip/shoulder) made us move due to the fear of falling during the winter months. My rotor cup surgery came from a fall in snow/ice during the 2006 Holiday Blizzard there.
If there was LESS of winter there, we WOULD still be living there. There is no doubt in our minds about that!! To us, Colorado (Western & Eastern Slope) is one of the most BEAUTIFUL States in the U.S.!!!!:
By the way, we are 59/60 yrs old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok. Here is our story:
We lived in Englewood and Parker, Colorado for a total of 5 1/2 years. We loved the summers there b/c we had a fishing-ski boat and went to a couple of nice (to us) reserviors (CC and Chatfield) for water fun......almost every weekend in the summer. Yes, there were some hot summer days there, but not like Las Vegas or Phoenix. The winters were ok, but we had a few winters that we got a lot of snow/cold weather! We were there for two major blizzards that pretty much shut down everything! We got video and photos of unbelievable lightning and blinding snow! Even had a week of very cold temps (3PM= -5 degrees on overhead temp gauge in our truck).
We really enjoyed living there, but having two surgeries (hip/shoulder) made us move due to the fear of falling during the winter months. My rotor cup surgery came from a fall in snow/ice during the 2006 Holiday Blizzard there.
If there was LESS of winter there, we WOULD still be living there. There is no doubt in our minds about that!! To us, Colorado (Western & Eastern Slope) is one of the most BEAUTIFUL States in the U.S.!!!!:
By the way, we are 59/60 yrs old.
Yeah, it gets tough with heavy snows My parents are the same way, they are looking for new homes in Hawaii and southern US because it's taking its toll. Best of luck in the new haunts!

I have never seen lightning and snow, but I know I have heard about it. I think if I did see it, then it would scare the heck out of me!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Denver has much more sunshine than cloudy Seattle.
True, but Seattle has much more water than dusty Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can save the amateur psychology. If I feel I need therapy, I will find someone qualified.

As for school districts, I am not a big fan of such lists myself, but I looked up the Newsweek list for 2008 and here is what I found. Colorado: 30 schools in the "Top High Schools"; Washington 45. Washington has 50% more "top" schools and 36% more people. Not much of a difference.

It is nonsense that people contemplating moving to Seattle don't have to ask about schools b/c it is so well known that Seattle's schools are so marvelous. Education is a very local subject of knowledge. I have been involved in education for many years and I had never heard of the Bellevue schools. On virutally every other city board I visit, the question of schools comes up from people considering a move there.

Here is the Colorado list:
Peak to Peak Charter, Lafayette
Lakewoood High School
Fairview High School, Boulder
East High School, Denver
Niwot High School
Cherry Creek High School, Greenwood Village
Evergreen High School
Smoky Hill HS, Aurora
Grandview HS, Aurora
Poudre High School, Ft. Collins
Cheyenne Mountain HS, Colorado Springs
George Washington HS, Denver
D'Evelyn HS, Denver (Jefferson Co)
Legacy HS, Broomfield
Eaglecrest HS, Aurora
Liberty HS, Colorado Springs
Heritage HS, Littleton
Aspen HS
Littleton HS
Air Academy HS, Colorado Springs
Monarch HS, Louisville (My kids' alma mater)
OVerland HS, Aurora
Palmer HS, Colorado Springs
Thunderridge HS, Highlands Ranch
Pine Creek HS, Colorado Springs
Chaparral HS, Parker
Ft. Collins HS
Thompson Valley HS, Loveland
Just by glancing at this list I can tell you George Washington, East, and Smoky Hill are far from "Top High Schools."

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Quote:
Just by glancing at this list I can tell you George Washington, East, and Smoky Hill are far from "Top High Schools."
Anyhow for those local who have a vested interest:

Colorado School Performance Maps

Also with regard to Bellevue -- ummm duh. All stupid arguments begin the same.

I still own a place in Seattle -- (Belltown before it was the trap it is) -- and love the city despite the fact that I hate the weather and most of the miserable people who live in the (mostly outlying) area.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
True, but Seattle has much more water than dusty Denver.

There are those who would disagree with that.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM

111 posts, read 392,441 times
Default Bellevue schools

It is so funny to me to hear about the fantastic Bellevue schools. I know they are supposed to be good but having attended them from K-12, I wouldn't say I had the most exemplary education. To some extent, high school is high school unless you are in the ghetto. I had some of the crappiest teachers ever at my high school and I can't give high ranks to the principal either. At least I can say we didn't have to worry about guards or metal detectors back in the 80's....just who had the nicest car or who was going to Hawaii that year. You know really important stuff...at least in Bellevue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver