Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,634 times

Advertisements

We are originally from Chicago and lived close to Wrigley Field. We loved it aside from the typical complications of city life. We would like some input from someone who is familiar with downtown Denver and in particular Coors Field area. We miss the "vibe" of Wrigleyville, but would like a smaller more approachable scale- obviously we don't expect the same thing as that, but if anyone could give some insight or comparison of the two, we would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTrixie View Post
We are originally from Chicago and lived close to Wrigley Field. We loved it aside from the typical complications of city life. We would like some input from someone who is familiar with downtown Denver and in particular Coors Field area. We miss the "vibe" of Wrigleyville, but would like a smaller more approachable scale- obviously we don't expect the same thing as that, but if anyone could give some insight or comparison of the two, we would appreciate it!
Denver's Ballpark/LoDo/Union Station neighborhood is absolutely nothing like Chicago's Wrigleyville/Lakeview neighborhood. To me, LoDo feels very generic and manufactured. It lacks soul and character. I would describe it like a Hollywood movie set of what a big city neighborhood is supposed to look like. There isn't much to it besides overpriced condos, restaurants, sports bars, and brew pubs in the area. No everyday amenities like hardware stores, grocery stores, places of worship, schools, etc.

On a positive note, if you're big Cubbies fans you'd fit right in. I can honestly say that Cubs fans easily outnumber Rockies fans in Denver.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

62 posts, read 213,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
On a positive note, if you're big Cubbies fans you'd fit right in. I can honestly say that Cubs fans easily outnumber Rockies fans in Denver.
LOL! I think this might be true.

Also, I'd agree with the rest of what jjacobeclark said. I go to Chicago quite a bit, and I would also add that the area around Coors Field has a different vibe just because of the fact that it's downtown, unlike Wrigleyville.

Last edited by Shaun32; 02-20-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: named person in quote

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Oh well- I assume tickets are hard to come by when the Cubs are there, too! : (

I always say my perfect home would be Chicago in a sunny climate! We're in Tampa now, and there are a few unique, interesting areas- but we miss the big city!

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTrixie View Post
Oh well- I assume tickets are hard to come by when the Cubs are there, too! : (

I always say my perfect home would be Chicago in a sunny climate! We're in Tampa now, and there are a few unique, interesting areas- but we miss the big city!

Thanks for your help!
Ever consider Atlanta or Dallas?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Ever consider Atlanta or Dallas?

I haven't spent time in either, but based on what I have heard they don't seem like what we are looking for. We would probably want to be further North, and somewhere closer to the Midwest in culture. (I will leave it at that!)

We'll have to keep hunting, I guess!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun32 View Post
LOL! I think this might be true.

Also, I'd agree with the rest of what jjacobeclark said. I go to Chicago quite a bit, and I would also add that the area around Coors Field has a different vibe just because of the fact that it's downtown, unlike Wrigleyville.
True on game day at Coors Field Rockies v. Cubs. Not true for Denver as a whole. I see way more Rockies gear than Cubbies gear being worn around town.
A lot can be attributed to the introduction of cable T.V. and WGN in the late 70's. Lots of folks here adopted the Cubs as their MLB favorite team over 30 years ago, while enjoying our minor league Bears (later renamed the Zephyrs), especially on quarter beer night at old Mile High!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,286 times
It drives me crazy how many cubs fans are out here. I'm a white sox fan. I don't see many of my kind out here! HA!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
You would like the Highlands area, though nothing here is like the Wrigley area. Not sure many places are.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Coors Field does not have the history that Wrigley Field has. The Rockies do not have the history the Cubs do. So in that sense, I guess it's not much of a comparison. Considering the Rockies' lack of success, as well as the fact that the Denver is the Broncos' town, the Rox still manage pretty decent support. There is a core of fans there that are as loyal as any in the game. And Coors Field is a great stadium in a great location. Blake and Market Streets are both a lot of fun after a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver