Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 PM

795 posts, read 2,412,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
you said Denver is only 600K people. Denver metro is just under 3 million.
Yes, denver metro is not the same as denver the city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM

119 posts, read 469,688 times
Coors is a newer stadium, Wrigley is very old. So it's pretty hard to criticize the lack of history the stadium has. I've been to Wrigley, Coors and Miller Park a lot. Wrigley is very overrated as a stadium. The Cubs have done a good job of marketing Wrigley though. Coors is a better stadium overall. The neighborhood isn't what Wrigley is and it never will be. Just way too different, tough to compare the two. Coors has a chance to be pretty special though because of it's location. Wrigley is pretty much maxed out. The neighborhood makes Wrigley. The stadiums make Coors and Miller. Coors is in a better location though.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 15,612 times
Default I second this notion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
You would like the Highlands area, though nothing here is like the Wrigley area. Not sure many places are.
Hey Chicago person! I am another one who loves Chicago, but despises the winter (but that summer - there is nothing like it). I am moving into the Highlands area and from everything I have seen, it is like a Chicago neighborhood with a little more crunchy-granola taste. Really cool.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,084,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I have family in Chicago and have visited Denver's LoDo area. Both areas have restaurants and access obviously to MLB. Wrigley has proximity to the pedestrian/bike trails along Lake Michigan, Coors has proximity to the pedestrian/bike trails that run past Commons Park/Cherry Creek/ Platte River and throughout Denver. Both have public transportation. Somebody mentioned no churches or hardware stores, etc. in Denver LoDo. From my experience and that of my family, church and shopping has typically been a driving endeavor anyway. Put it this way- Denver is in my top 3 places to retire, and Chicago is not. I guarantee you'll be able to get out on those trails WAY more days in Denver than in Chicago. Chicago is a lot of fun, but don't let anybody sell LoDo short. To me the benefit of an area like Wrigley is proximity to fun things to do. LoDo has proximity to fun things to do.
Moderator cut: rude We get it, you might retire there. This thread is comparing neighborhoods around a baseball stadium and has nothing to do with cycling.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-24-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,028,734 times
But cycling DOES have to do with the neighborhoods surrounding these stadiums. The discussion is on the overall neighborhood appeal.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM

28 posts, read 81,183 times
Default Soo what did you decide?

I know this is an old thread but I've been searching for Chicago vs. Denver forums as I too am taking the plunge to move to the ole' west. I also live in Wrigleyville and it's true, there is nothing that beats it's culture. It's going to be hard to leave (I write as I hear the el go by) as I've lived in this particular condo for over 10 years but grew up in Chicago suburbs and have been in the city for at least 15. I am ready for the mountains!

My struggles are this: a) leaving my family (very lucky for the frequent air-travel options between the two cities) b) finding a job in the tech / financial industry if the job I am taking doesn't pan out in the long run and c) the move process itself (selling vs. renting, expenses involved etc) <-- at least that one is a quickie.

While I am ready for a big life change, I don't want to do a complete 180 i.e., I do want to be in a 'walkable' area that has an 'urban' feel. I know there is nothing like Chicago but nothing like Denver either, right?

I have felt a pull towards the LoHi (Lower Highlands) area that I hear is very up-and-coming. Does anyone have any comment on this new neighborhood? Any Chicago natives here? What do you miss the most? Do you ever think about coming back? Do you think your quality of life is better in Denver? if so, why?

I appreciate the feedback - have a great holiday all!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 AM

119 posts, read 469,688 times
LoHi is a new name given to an old neighborhood. It has gotten some postive press from one of those Mens Health magazines as being one of the top neighborhoods. Parts of the neighborhood are close enough to walk from downtown. There are good restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I love the area but it was a little expensive for us. We moved a little further NW, to a cheaper but equally great area.

I live in Chicago as a kid, so my memory isn't great. We lived in the Portage Park area but I am fairly familiar with Wrigleyville. The area seems a bit overrated to me but then again, I was a little kid. The LoHi area reminds me of certain parts of Chicago. Being practical, there isn't much that Chicago has that Denver doesn't. Sure there are more bars and clubs but how many clubs and bars does one person need. The one thing I miss is there is greater diversity in Chicago. I like the different ethnic pockets that you'd find in certain neighborhoods. I do miss the midwest, I'm from Wisconsin, but the weather is hard to beat. If you like the outdoors, you'll love it out here. You can drive a half hour out of town and feel like you are in the middle of no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver