Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

I did my part to improve Denvers' overpopulation by moving out.

Pueblo is congested enough for my liking now. Hwy 50 eastbound going towards I-25 southbound is straightup dangerous. Just today I backed off to let a Pueblo County Sheriff deputy car # 176 into the turn lane because he was too selfish and impatient to get in way back where he should. I was pissed because he didn't wave to me for going out of my way to let him in. Just a little wave people. Next time you stub your toe, think of me and driving karma.

I'm thinking about calling Kirk Taylor and reporting this guy.

It's a also very dangerous southbound I-25 all the way to the Minnequa exit and northbound from Central to hwy 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 PM

208 posts, read 419,273 times
I just relocated here literally 2 days ago from Atlanta, and I think traffic here is worse. There's certainly more traffic in Atlanta, but people here seem to be more uptight about it and appear to be anxious to get home fast.

This tells me that growth here has probably been too rapid and people aren't used to driving in big cities. YOu really have to learn to be patient! When you are patient, things flow better.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
I just relocated here literally 2 days ago from Atlanta, and I think traffic here is worse. There's certainly more traffic in Atlanta, but people here seem to be more uptight about it and appear to be anxious to get home fast.

This tells me that growth here has probably been too rapid and people aren't used to driving in big cities. YOu really have to learn to be patient! When you are patient, things flow better.
Indeed. Wait until it snows. Watch out for the big SUV drivers. They think they are indestructible. Yes I drive an SUV but I take it slow.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
Quote:

I think that is a big part of the problem here. Denver simply grew too fast. The infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the growth, so the outcome is bad congestion. I've lived here since 2004 and the traffic has undoubtedly gotten worse since then. I have noticed that the drivers have gotten more aggressive and impatient as well.

There are such a wide variety of driving styles here, too. You have the slowpokes (which don't bother me as long as they stay in the slow lane), the speed demons, the abrupt lane changers, and everything in between. I've always assumed that the wide variety of driving styles is common in cities with lots of transplants.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM

78 posts, read 196,197 times
The most mysterious and daily driving behavior was the one where someone would roar past to get in the same lane in front of another driver when there were 5 car lengths of empty space behind. Absolutely dont get that but it is quite common.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM

129 posts, read 211,981 times
Quote:

I'm recently here from Atlanta, and I haven't had anywhere near a similar take as you. I find drivers here running a good 30mph SLOWER than in the A, it took me a few weeks to lighten up on the gas, & as I discovered this town is full of speed traps, I was lucky not to get caught. The lack of lane markings & invisible street signs make it dangerous, but if drivers here drove like they do in Atlanta, I'd be dead by now, wandering around, no clue of where I am, etc...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times
What bugs me the most is in the summer, after (or DURING) a huge rain storm goes through, the freeways become spray belts and everyone continues to drive 75 even though you wouldn't be able to see your hands in front of your face because of the spray! Ugh. Slow down people. Scares the living f*** out of me when I have to drive after a thunderstorm because nobody slows down even though visibility is reduced to near zero with spray.

And then you have the winter, where everybody continues to drive over the limit on snowy roads and freeways. Everyone says it's just the SUV drivers - nope! Just as bad, or maybe even worse, are the people with the little AWD sedans who think they're even more "invincible" (BS!) than SUVs because they have AWD and probably "can't roll like SUVs do". These types are more common on I-70 between the tunnel and Golden.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
What I hate are the ones that cut you off on the highway at the last second. Gosh that ticks me off. And to those of you saying that traffic is bad everywhere, while I agree, when people here from Boston complain about our traffic, there's a problem.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Indeed. Wait until it snows. Watch out for the big SUV drivers. They think they are indestructible. Yes I drive an SUV but I take it slow.
Actually, there are plenty of cars (non-SUVs) that drive poorly, too. Someone in a little car tailgated me today on Alameda all the way from Broadway until University, as if tailgating me was going to make the traffic in front of me go faster. The road was icy/slick and I feel that the speed of the traffic in front of me was appropriate.

I drive an SUV, too (Jeep Wrangler), but I get annoyed sometimes with all of the comments about how awful the SUV drivers are, because really, there are plenty of terrible "regular car" drivers, too. Especially when it snows. Not everyone in an SUV drives recklessly.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 PM

171 posts, read 582,115 times
Drive the 405 in LA between the 105 and the 10 during rush hour. Heck not even rush hour - try 1PM. Then come back and say that Denver is even remotely in the same league.

Coming from LA, I find Denver "traffic" positively pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
It has gotten insanely congested here I've noticed in the last couple years. Denver is probably becoming one of the worst traffic areas in the country, I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver