Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times

Advertisements

I've been searching this forum for awhile now and have yet to find a thread about areas for folks who don't care for the "family" feel. Sorry, no slight on those of you who enjoy kids, we just don't.

Work isn't an issue as I work from home and my wife works contract stuff in Alaska from time to time, thus no worry about commuting. We have a dog, desire a SFH and want to keep it cheap (cheap being up to $150k-ish purchase price... we're not limited to that, it's just that price would allow us to continue living as we are now...)

We want someplace that is quiet (seriously, this is the most important), has a nice local community of similar-aged individuals, isn't too criminally active (I understand that this is something you deal with everywhere and can only manage rather than eradicate), and unique looking homes would be a plus.

I'm handy, so places that need work are absolutely acceptable (and pretty much expected to keep our price point). I also want and sorta need workshop space (the size of a 2-car garage is fine), but I can build one on a larger property.

Anyway, this is clearly not a common situation... just wondering what opinions would be tossed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 69,931 times
My husband and I are in the same (or similiar) situation. We're going to be living in the Baker District. Not sure how kid-infested it is, but it's the closest we could get to downtown without breaking the bank. Hope this helps!

Old 12-26-2008, 06:21 PM

22 posts, read 69,931 times
PS - I got a pretty hefty lashing for asking a smiliar question on here a few months ago.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
Colorado tends to be very family oriented, IMHO. I am in my 30s, married, no kids. It's one (tiny) reason we'd like to try life elsewhere --- to try to find other communities that are more suited for us. Downtown is definitely more adult-oriented than the burbs, especially the burb I'm in (Thornton).

Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,208 times
The obvious answer is to point you to city neighborhoods -- but, even most of the city neighborhoods are kid oriented, believe it or not. The typical names you here mentioned on city-data like Stapleton, Highlands, Park Hill, and Congress Park, have lots of kids.

Capitol Hill doesn't have AS many due to the fact that it's mostly condominiums and apartments, which aren't too conducive to kids. Cheesman Park, also, does have some kids but it's one of the less kid-oriented areas -- being largely singles and couples. Cherry Creek does have some kids but not nearly as many as some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Ultra-wealthy compounds like Belcaro also don't have lots of kids either as most families can't afford it. You can also live in LoDo or the Central Business District -- few kids not named Hickenlooper have ever lived there.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyann721 View Post
PS - I got a pretty hefty lashing for asking a smiliar question on here a few months ago.

How disappointing! I think child-free living is not as rare as one might think!

FYI: search on google for child-free

Edit: and while Colorado Springs is definately family-town, we are doing ok here.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
I think the 2 car sized workshop is going to be your biggest problem. There is probably not enough space on a normal city lot, but you could park outside and use your garage for a workshop.

A house for $150,000 is doable. Not easy, but doable.

Kids are everywhere, they are not regulated. There are a over 55+ communities, but you can't live there yet.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,275 times
People in their 30's generally have kids. It's a fact of life I suppose.

150,000 excludes anywhere near Denver with the exception of the East Denver / Aurora (80010 zip) neighborhood.

I looked at a place on 13th and Elmira a while back that would have been perfect for you; huge lot, huge 2+ car detached garage, enough space for a workshop to be built to boot and 140ish asking.

There are plenty of bank owned properties in that area going for 65-85.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I think child free living is heavy in certain parts of the country, just not Colorado. Glad to hear you are ok in the Springs. I was down there this summer and was surprised at how much that town has grown. I absolutely love Manitou.

I noticed that in some areas of Miami, downtown, Coconut Grove, are very much more oriented to people like me. Even here in Denver there is a ginormous difference between the Village Inn in Thornton and the Denver Diner. More urban areas seem to be less family oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
How disappointing! I think child-free living is not as rare as one might think!

FYI: search on google for child-free

Edit: and while Colorado Springs is definately family-town, we are doing ok here.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Kids are everywhere, they are not regulated. There are a over 55+ communities, but you can't live there yet.
Sure, but surely even you can admit that there are certain pockets in certain parts of this country that are more geared for the 30s couples with no kids vs. the 3 children, mini-van lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver