Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times

Advertisements

You renew your plates annually, based on the date of purchase. So, if you buy in July you get a temporary plate for one month, then you purchase your permanent plates a month later in August. Then your renewal date would be in August every year.

The renewal fee does go down every year. I don't know how the calculate the original amount, but I do know that as the vehicle ages the renewal fees go down. I think the lowest is $30.00 or $35.00 (maybe that includes county taxes and fees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
David: omg that is so steep!!! I wonder why? I've never paid that much. But my cars have been older Subarus, Hyundais. Also, aren't we paying based on the sale of the car? I'm sure there's some weirdo calculations done, probably by county too.
I paid around $450 for plates on my Prius last Spring. Total rip off! Hopefully it will be in the $300s for 09.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I paid around $450 for plates on my Prius last Spring. Total rip off! Hopefully it will be in the $300s for 09.

I can't remember ever paying more than $150 for at the DMV to register here in CO. Granted the 'newest' vehicle I've every bought here has been 4 years old.

I had to register in September and this is the details from my registration receipt:

2001 Jeep Cherokee

Own Tax: $92.39
Lic Fee: $36.83

I also just bought another motorcycle recently and brought it in from out of state. So I'll offer this to help anyone that might be interested:

'96 Honda VT1100
I paid the registration taxes and for some temp tags: $100.42
I had to go get a VIN inspection done since it was coming from out of state, but needed the temp tags to get it to a dealership since there were no tags on it at all. I think the temp tags might make up only like $3.00 of that amount though.
The VIN inspection was done by a local motorcycle shop for free (not sure if free is the normal rate, but based on their reaction to me being surprised at the word "free"... it seemed to be)
I'll find out how much the plates cost tomorrow, if I wake up early enough to do it before work

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
Denverian, isn't the Prius a hybrid?? They should be offering total discounts for that. I know you can get a tax deduction if you meet their various loopholes. That's insane to have to pay that much. The people in the Ford F-50's, double-wide, extra-wide, double-cab thingies need to be paying through the nose. Then perhaps they wouldn't be running out and buying them so much.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Denverian, isn't the Prius a hybrid?? They should be offering total discounts for that. I know you can get a tax deduction if you meet their various loopholes. That's insane to have to pay that much. The people in the Ford F-50's, double-wide, extra-wide, double-cab thingies need to be paying through the nose. Then perhaps they wouldn't be running out and buying them so much.
The last thing most people think about when buying a vehicle is what the yearly registration costs will be. You'd have to make it insane... like $1000+/year for anyone to notice.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
That's kinda what I meant Zion. I've thought for a long time that's how things should be. And the people who buy the older, economic cars need to be rewarded. Even more for those of us that utilize mass transit.

So what's the first thing they are thinking of? omg I can't wait to be king of the road? Does the price of gas ever enter their mind, or the cost to repair the ginormous things??

Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
I haven't heard of anyone I know paying $1000.00 for car tags? my car tags are around $ 125.00 a year. Registered in CO, a 2002 vehicle. I actually think it's supposed to get lower as the years go by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I found this quote on Sperling's website under Denver, Co. A person's personal comment re: the Denver area. Here it is:

"Any activity you might want to do in the mountains will be regulated be the tax happy government, or the over priced, and overcrowded ski resorts. You may enjoy Colorado if you like paying $1,000.00 for vehicle tags every year, and getting crappy roads in return."

My question.....is it really that expensive to renew your vehicle tag each year? What could this person mean by that $ amt?

I don't know about CO but here in FL, it's under $100 to renew a car tag....

Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I haven't heard of anyone I know paying $1000.00 for car tags? my car tags are around $ 125.00 a year. Registered in CO, a 2002 vehicle. I actually think it's supposed to get lower as the years go by?

Do you remember what the amt was when the 2002 car was new? Was it actually in the 3 or 400's for a tag? Just curious.

I can't believe how much it costs there to renew a tag!!

I guess cost of living there compared there evens out in the end....and is all relative.

Anyone know a county website of where you buy your renewal tags? I'd like to go and read up on this......? Say maybe for Arapahoe county?

thanks again.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
no,I sure don't remember, but maybe it was in the 300's or so now that you mention it. But surely never 1000.00!

try: www.co.arapahoe.co.us/departments/cr/motorvehicle.
Hope that helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Do you remember what the amt was when the 2002 car was new? Was it actually in the 3 or 400's for a tag? Just curious.

I can't believe how much it costs there to renew a tag!!

I guess cost of living there compared there evens out in the end....and is all relative.

Anyone know a county website of where you buy your renewal tags? I'd like to go and read up on this......? Say maybe for Arapahoe county?

thanks again.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Adams County - Motor Vehicle - Fees & Taxes (http://www.co.adams.co.us/index.cfm?d=standard&b=1&c=9&s=21&p=815 - broken link)

There's a link for Adams County DMV fees. It shows how the "taxable value" of a vehicle decreases each year as well as the other fees/taxes for each of the towns in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver