Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Awesome, thanks!!!

The hardest part is that we're going to rent for 6 months when we get there this summer, but I don't want to move my daughter to another school when we buy. I have to get a feel for the areas we can afford to buy in before we find an apartment to rent. Centennial looks like a decent fit. We'll likely be coming out in the spring to see the areas.

One thing that was wierd... The listing said 80015 was Centennial, but google maps listed it as Aurora. Which is it?
The 80015 zip code spans both parts of SE Aurora and E. Centennial. That particular neighborhood you're looking at (south of Quincy) is Centennial. The confusion is because prior to 8 years ago, there was no "City of Centennial," it was just unincorporated Arapahoe County with an Aurora mailing address (in those parts). Eastern Centennial is bounded by Aurora on all four sides; it's kind of an enclave that was added to the "original" Centennial area far to the west, in order to create enough population base to realistically incorporate a city. Centennial is an extremely long, narrow city, spanning from the Littleton border in the west to far SE Aurora in the east.

But as I've said before, SE Aurora and E Centennial is the SAME thing for all practical intents and purposes. School district boundaries/attendance areas also have nothing to do with which municipality you are in. Everything south of Hampden for the most part is Cherry Creek Schools, regardless of whether it's Aurora or Centennial. Taxes might differ slightly. The only way to know what city you're in is to look at the street signs. One thing I will say-- Aurora has much, much better water than E. Centennial/ formerly unincorporated areas (which use the ECCV). Aurora's water tastes like you're drinking from a pure mountain stream; Centennial's tastes... not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
One thing that was wierd... The listing said 80015 was Centennial, but google maps listed it as Aurora. Which is it?
Probably Centennial, but the correct USPS address is probably Aurora. Most of Arapahoe County will have one of the following addresses: Littleton, Englewood, or Aurora. They USPS addresses don't correspond at all to the city limits -- in fact, the city of Centennial didn't even exist until a few years ago. Of course, if someone puts Centennial,CO on the envelope it still will certainly get there.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
The home is overpriced and will need thousands of dollars in updates. I explained why in my other post.

You can buy a new home, built in 2007 with a 2-year warranty, with 5 Beds 3 Baths, SF: 3,432 for $175K. That's $50 a sq.ft.

Don't buy it, do more research. That's my 2 cents...
How can you possibly know that it needs "thousands of dollars in updates" by looking at a picture?

Let me guess, you're next post will be how the weather in Aurora is arctic and unlivable, right?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

862 posts, read 2,622,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
How can you possibly know that it needs "thousands of dollars in updates" by looking at a picture?
It was more than just "looking at a picture". Go back and read my posts again, I clearly explain WHY it will need upgrades.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,684 times
Thanks for explaining the Centennial/Aurora area.

LBear, I'm still waiting for a link to a listing for new homes under $200K... Would love to see them.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Running away from a 10 year old house because some parts will need maintenance some day. LOL that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Seriously, get the house inspected. Twice if you want. If anything looks like its got one foot in the grave, ask for a concession. If not, well, hopefully you're buying a house you can actually afford and will have enough left over each month to put away for maintenance. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER HOMEOWNER SHOULD BE DOING. If you're really that afraid of your roof blowing off, your water heater exploding, your furnace dying, and your dated (LOL) cabinets falling off the wall within a year, then ask about a home warranty. I believe you (or the seller rather) can buy them relatively inexpensively.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM

64 posts, read 214,910 times
We are renting in this area. Moved here in July from
MI. There are electrical towers in the Fox Hill area so personally I would stay away. The other home is in my neighborhood. We like it here. Plan to buy in this area in the very near future. Very happy with the school our kids our in. Downtown is not that far however, we do not have to drive there for work so not sure how that commute would be. I would assume not good. Good luck.

~C~

Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
It was more than just "looking at a picture". Go back and read my posts again, I clearly explain WHY it will need upgrades.
You explained that it will need a new roof. How do you know that the other things need replaced? Maybe they were replaced recently?

Can't you troll other forums besides Denver? You don't even live in the area...

Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 AM

The home is BANK OWNED. Therefore, there are NO "concessions" and the home is sold AS-IS. Bank owned properties offer NO WARRANTIES and 99% of the time, they will NOT negotiate on the price or offer any "concessions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
You explained that it will need a new roof. How do you know that the other things need replaced? Maybe they were replaced recently?
How?? Easy, the National Association of Home Builders has a scientific and documented list of the life expectancy of the items.

The home is 10+ years old. It is reaching the magical 10-15 year mark. That is when homes have HUGE update issues and costs.

National Association of Home Builders states the following in regards to LIFE EXPECTANCY:

Electrical Lighting Accessories 10 years
Electrical Lighting Controls 10 years

Asphalt Shingles 15 years
Air Conditioners - central 15 years
Air Quality Systems 15 years

Boilers - electric 13 years
Burners 10 years
Dehumidifiers 8 years
Ducting 10 years
DX - electric 15 years

Furnaces - warm-air, electric 15 years
Furnaces - warm-air, gas 18 years
Heat Pumps 16 years
Humidifiers 8 years

Induction & Fan-Coil Units 10-15 years
Radiant Heater - hot water or steam 15 years
Ventilators 7 years
Water Heaters - electric 11 years
Water Heaters - gas 10 years
Exhaust Fans 10 years

Aluminum/Aluminum Clad Windows 15-20 years
Garage Door Openers 10-15 years
Termite Proofing 12 years
Waterproofing with Bituminous Coating 10 years
Garbage Disposals 12 years

Faucets, Bar/Hospitality 15 years
Faucets, Kitchen Sinks 15 years
Faucets, Toilets/Bidets 10 years
Sinks - enamel steel 5-10 years
Carpet Flooring 8-10 years
Range/Oven Hoods 14 years
Ranges - electric 13 years
Ranges - gas 15 years
Washing Machines 10 years

Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 AM

Look, if the OP wants to buy the home, feel free to buy it. The OP asked for input. I am simply giving the OP input.

In my life, I have built, bought and sold numerous homes. My family has been building homes for decades.

If you think that a 10+ year old home with 1,620 sq.ft., in today's market is worth $175K, then feel free to buy it. IMHO, the home is overpriced and the potential buyer should walk-away and look for other homes.

The fact alone that it is next to high-power electric towers is reason enough to walk away. That is an external obsolescence that is a property value killer. Let alone a potential to have serious medical problems

If you want your kids to get Leukemia, buy the home.

A study, done by Childhood Cancer Research Group at Oxford and the National Grid Transco, collected data on childhood cancers between 1962 and 1995 and compared it with records of houses where the children were born. The team examined 9,700 cases of leukemia reported during this period and based on projections, concluded that living within 200 meters of a power line is linked to a 70% increase in risk, and living within 600 meters to a 23% increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver