Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
I don't want to sound like everyone in NY is a horrible person. There are nice people here, but what I"m trying to stress is that there is a 1 to 100 ratio of nice vs. mean. I guess I'm burnt out, I'm not sure. I feel quite lonely in this city, going thru failures or successes - I go thru them alone (ok I have a fantastic boyfriend) and if it wasn't for him, I would probably be more miserable than I am now. But I'm not happy here anymore.
I agree with spincycle that it's no utopia here. There are lots of people who come here looking for utopia and end up disappointed. Many go back to their home area, and some are stuck here b/c of a job. It's better to be coming here for Denver than b/c you are trying to leave somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM

56 posts, read 210,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with spincycle that it's no utopia here. There are lots of people who come here looking for utopia and end up disappointed. Many go back to their home area, and some are stuck here b/c of a job. It's better to be coming here for Denver than b/c you are trying to leave somewhere else.

I'm not disillusioned, I'm not looking for utopia. I think you're missing my point. I don't know many people who change whatever is it in their lives - weather it's a hair color or place where they live because they are happy. Everyone is looking for a "piece of mind" if you will. And so am I. I'm not looking for paradise, but a place where I feel I will be happier.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
I'm not disillusioned, I'm not looking for utopia. I think you're missing my point. I don't know many people who change whatever is it in their lives - weather it's a hair color or place where they live because they are happy. Everyone is looking for a "piece of mind" if you will. And so am I. I'm not looking for paradise, but a place where I feel I will be happier.
You're not looking for utopia and you need piece of mind. You're looking for dystopia

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You're not looking for utopia and you need piece of mind. You're looking for dystopia

Haha. I feel like I live in dystopia.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Haha. I feel like I live in dystopia.
I'm just giving you a hard time

NYC can be dystopia LOL Think 1984 or Brave New World.

Dystopian parking lots for sure.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM

227 posts, read 1,044,435 times
Lucy29 - I used my inlaws contact info and when I got the interviews, I lined them all up for the same day. I flew out from LA to Denver and did 3 interviews in one day. Ended up with 2 offers, took the first one. If you go this route you have to be prepared to fly out for the interview, and I didn't mention I had to fly out from CA. I would just ask them for a few days away as opposed to the next day, so I could line up time to find coverage at work and buy a ticket. My work knew I was moving, so they were very accomodating and allowed me to switch work days. Best thing is if you can interview on a Friday and just take a long weekend to explore Denver.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I'm just giving you a hard time

NYC can be dystopia LOL Think 1984 or Brave New World.

Dystopian parking lots for sure.

But I'm going to be honest with you. I"m getting more and more discouraged by all these posts about Co not really offering much jobs. This is def. an issue.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
But I'm going to be honest with you. I"m getting more and more discouraged by all these posts about Co not really offering much jobs. This is def. an issue.
Chin up. Just keep looking. The econ is getting worse, but those who can find jobs are still finding it. I found mine in Feb

Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times
IMO people who do best in Colorado are self employed or are 'virtual workers' (i.e. work from home, home based businesses). This is esp. true in Boulder, IMO. Others who do well are in jobs and/or industries that are in demand. Being overspecialized in one area (or in one industry) can be counter-productive incase one needs to switch gears fast due to a job loss. My advice - if you have a job in Colorado that is safe, happy, and secure ALWAYS keep networking and looking because even in Colorado anything can happen in a NY Minute. Read that book by NY author Steven Pollan called Fire your Boss. Great book, inspirational author.

I'd say go to Colorado, but go there with an exit strategy too. Network, diversify your skills and employability. Contingencies, Contingencies, Contingencies. Be a little greedy, look out for #1.
Greed is good - remember the movie?

Good luck.

Last edited by Spincycle; 04-29-2009 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: add more text

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Actually, I do understand your point. I don't think you understand mine. When my parents had to move at the beginning of my brother's senior year in high school, my mom went to talk to the principal of the new school. He told her a little story:

A newcomer to town approached an old timer sitting on a park bench and said "I'm new in town. What kind of people live here?" The old-timer said, "What kind of people lived in your old town?" The newbie answered "Awful people", and gave a lengthly description. Then another newcomer approached the old-timer and asked the same question, got the same question back. This person said "Oh, wonderful people", etc. The old timer said "that's the kind of people you'll meet here". This has stuck with me these past 40+ years of my life.

Lots of people come to Colorado to escape. The people in their old town were awful. They find the people in Colorado awful, too. Maybe in a different way, but awful, nevertheless. There are cultural differences here (different from other places), but you still have to get up, go to work, deal with your co-workers, etc.

When I read this: What I love about Co are the laid back people, friendliness, and of course I'm not talking about the beauty of Co. , I get nervous.

I mean, we're a pretty nice group here, but it is a myth that everyone, or even a sizable majority are "laid back". Many transplants feel people here are unfriendly. There is a reserve here that you don't see in the east. (I am fron Pennsylvania.) One on one, I think people are the same everywhere. That means nice people, mean people, all kinds of people.

As far as people saying it costs 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of living in NYC, I don't think so. You can find COL calculators on the web to help you out with that. Yes, housing, a major expense, is cheaper, but nothing else is that much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver