Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 81,281 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Kindly guide how much a Preschool in Aurora / denver cost?

My kid is of 2years 3Months & I am just looking out for a part time School.
If you have references, kindly provide (if near $300/Month).

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Do you care about the quality of the school programs, or you just want a babysitter? For $300/month, how many days a week are you thinking of sending your child?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 81,281 times
I am just looking out for a perschool (3-4 hours) all 5 days a week.
I am not looking for a baby sitter.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poojamca View Post
Hi Guys,

Kindly guide how much a Preschool in Aurora / denver cost?

My kid is of 2years 3Months & I am just looking out for a part time School.
If you have references, kindly provide (if near $300/Month).

Thanks,
This is going to be tough to find. Preschool is pretty expensive. We just went through a lengthy process to find a school for our daughter and honestly couldn't find much below $1200 a month. $1400 a month seemed to be the norm. We were looking for a full-time program though.

It is kind of odd that preschool costs almost as much as law school, but that's how it is.

I think the City of Denver has subsidies if you live within the city limits and you qualify based on income. You may want to call them up and ask about that. Good luck in your search.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

It is kind of odd that preschool costs almost as much as law school, but that's how it is.
I don't mean to jump on you, but I'll never understand why people balk at the cost of childcare.
I mean, it's your child.
I'm a careful, frugal shopper, but I want the best for my child, not the cheapest.

I taught here for many years.Temple Emanuel Preschool It is a nurturing, wonderful place for kids.
You don't have to be Jewish.

There are also a few elementary schools with PreK programs, but they often have waiting lists. There are KinderCares, LaPetite Academies, etc.
There is also the JCC. (http://www.jccdenver.org/?page_id=179 - broken link)

Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
300/mo X 60 (your low end) hours = 5 bucks an hour.

That is simply not realistic.

Also, 2 years and 3 months is too young for any preschool, so you are at best looking for shared care which is going to cost you about 5 times what you are looking to pay.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I don't mean to jump on you, but I'll never understand why people balk at the cost of childcare.
I mean, it's your child.
I'm a careful, frugal shopper, but I want the best for my child, not the cheapest.

I taught here for many years.Temple Emanuel Preschool It is a nurturing, wonderful place for kids.

There are also a few elementary schools with PreK programs, but they often have waiting lists. There are KinderCares, LaPetite Academies, etc.
I don't have any children but I agree with what you are saying.
I don't understand why people want to hire a Nanny for their children when they want to pay next to nothing.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
I mean, it's your child.

Because paying $17,000 of net income a year for childcare is obscene and prices many, many families out of the market. As an after-tax expense, that means that preschool eats up nearly $22,000 of gross income for each child. So if a family has two children, $2800 net monthly income, or equivalently ~$3700 gross monthly income goes to childcare. That's ~$44,000 a year gross.

It's not a matter of how much you love your child, it's a matter of practicality at that point. For many families, one of the parents end up staying home because unless they are a doctor or a lawyer, forfeiting $44,000 of their gross salary offsets any real financial benefit of working. Having a child shouldn't completely put the brakes on someone's career unless they chose as much.

You mentioned that you are a teacher. Can you afford to pay $44,000 a year of your salary for childcare for two kids? What if you had 3 kids? Could you pay $65,000 annually or would you have to quit working and stay home?

My wife took the first 18 months off after our daughter was born. Then she wanted to go back to work. We are both professionals and can afford the expense, but a lot of families can't. That's a problem in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,260 times
Quote:
I mean, it's your child.

We balk at the cost because it's not always realistic. I don't think anybody shops for the cheapest and they don't put their child somewhere they don't feel comfortable. But if they find a place that they are comfortable leaving their child in and it's very, very expensive they might not be able to do that as much as they want to. And it's not supposed to be that way!!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
5 days a week is an awful lot of "preschool" for a 2.5 yr old (honestly sounds more like you are looking at part time daycare). It's been a long time since my kids were preschool aged but I'm thinking they were at least 3 probably 4 - and they went 3 or 4 days a week for about 2.5 or 3 hrs/day. Don't remember the cost but it was a long time ago so wouldn't be helpful anyway. I would look at churches/synagogues near your home. They often have very good preschools at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-28-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: