Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:21 PM

83 posts, read 102,508 times

Advertisements

WE just like the area, the land, the beautiful mountains, and everyone we met while on vacation were extremely nice. We want to leave Texas because we want to see different things. I've been in texas for 25 years even while I was in the Military. It's plain and simple, we love the area and want to raise our children in a community that we love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sure, they are really nice if you enjoy fairly new, family-oriented suburbia. The area immediately adjacent to the DTC isn't to shabby either (I live just north of it).

Just so you know, there are no "not nice" areas near the DTC, so you can likely find what you are looking for.

Denver is a bit smaller than Houston, and has a quite varied climate as I'm sure you know.

Why is it that you want to leave Houston and move to Denver? What is it about Denver/CO that appeals to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.wilson1984 View Post
WE just like the area, the land, the beautiful mountains, and everyone we met while on vacation were extremely nice. We want to leave Texas because we want to see different things. I've been in texas for 25 years even while I was in the Military. It's plain and simple, we love the area and want to raise our children in a community that we love.
Sounds good to me, and kudos to you!

I had the same story, but we are from CA originally. Although I've recently discovered that CO isn't my favorite cup of tea, it's still a pretty good place.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
In my opinion Castle Rock is not "outskirts". It's so far away as to be completely separate.

But anyway, you could look at Littleton, that's a really nice town that's adjacent to Denver.

You might have trouble finding IT jobs. Be aware that Denver IT recruiters are not considering out of state candidates at this time. There's plenty of local IT talent given first consideration.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 50,943 times
80skeys is right. I am also from Houston and the first time I came to Colorado for vacation, I knew I wanted to live here.
That was so many years ago and since then, I have been trying to land a job but not success, but I didn't despair I knew my day was close.
I was laid off in April/09 from a consulting company, and I began looking for jobs mostly in Houston because the rates are down. I got an offer from a Colorado company in August and voila, I am here.
What I am try to say is that even with 25 years IT experience, I couldn't find a job sooner so be careful.

I am telling you the commute in Denver is simple compared to Houston, I lived in 290 (well my wife still there with my kids waiting to finish school year and then everybody will move.) and my house was 40 or more miles from Downtown Houston and you know the traffic, does not matter where you live or where you work Houston, traffic is terrible. So being from Houston and used to long commutes , I can live anywhere and commute everywhere. I am planning to live in Evergreen or something similar. I am used to drive but my reward will be every evening and weekend at home, close to nature.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 PM

18 posts, read 65,705 times
Matt,

My husband and I live in North Texas and we plan on moving to Denver (or surrounding areas) as well. Hopefully, we can move within 6 months - 1 year. My husband in in IT as well and I work in local city government. I graduate next year (went to college at 27 I'm 33 now) so I plan on teaching science or going to school (accelerated program) to become a nurse. We were in Lone Tree a couple of weeks ago and it was so depressing coming back to hot, humid, Texas, yuck! I was stationed at FT. Carson back in 2002 so I know Colorado is a wonderful place to live.

Have you applied for any government positions? My husband has been going that route in addition to applying at companies and local government. Just keep being persistent and you guys will be in Denver before you know it! Please keep me posted and I'll do the same!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Under very limited circumstances would I ever consider a commute over Monument Hill to Colorado Springs.

(It would have to be very high paying, and flexible hours.)
I do that commute almost every day - work from home on occassion. I usually get to work by 7 at the latest.

In 2 years, I've never had a problem with Monument Hill.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
Quote:
Although I've recently discovered that CO isn't my favorite cup of tea, it's still a pretty good place.
I notice from your older posts that you seemed to be very happy out there in CO. What's up with that now?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I notice from your older posts that you seemed to be very happy out there in CO. What's up with that now?
I moved to Spokane, WA for a job relocation, and I really liked it and was very happy there, even moreso than I ever was in CO. In the short time we were there, we managed to cut out an ideal little life for ourselves.

My job relocated me back to Denver, and we've been back here for the past couple of weeks. Let's just say I'm having trouble seeing exactly what it is I liked so much about CO, while knowing exactly what I like so much about WA. The only things I can think of that CO has over WA are pro sports teams, and a job -- otherwise, I've decided that WA is the better place for me, and we are planning to return there someday, and live 'happily ever after', perhaps once we don't need to make so much money (our bills/debt are rather high, and it would have been extremely difficult for us to duplicate the same income in Spokane).

I don't hate CO (though I'll admit that I resent it a little bit right now), now I know of a place I like better, and I'm going to have WA withdrawals until I move back there.

Last edited by Count David; 09-23-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 04:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
I moved to Spokane, WA for a job relocation, and I really liked it and was very happy there, even moreso than I ever was in CO. In the short time we were there, we managed to cut out an ideal little life for ourselves.

How's the weather out there in Spokane? A lot of rain? cold winters?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
How's the weather out there in Spokane? A lot of rain? cold winters?
I was only there from May to September of this year, thus I did not get to experience a winter.

During that time it would rain every couple of weeks, but it wouldn't be anything to write home about. There was only one thunderstorm while I was there. Most days would be sunny or partly cloudy with highs in the 70's to 90's.

The locals say the winters are bad, last winter in particular had 100 inches of snowfall, with snow that doesn't melt quickly like it does here in CO. I was really looking forward to winter there, and am quite disappointed that I didn't even get to experience one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver