Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,689 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of getting LASIK eye surgery on both my eyes. I'm near-sighted and have developed astigmatism in the last year. I'm perfectly comfortable with wearing contact lens (I've been wearing them for over 15 yrs now) and I haven't felt the need to get LASIK in the past. Recently though, I have heard from several people about how the surgery has really helped them and that has triggered my thoughts as well.

Now, I am aware that there is only a 90% success rate. I am aware of the dryness problems that come up after surgery but I'm still interested.
Can anyone here recommend a good place for this surgery? Also share your experience good/bad, if any. Also, I have seen the costs range from $500 per eye to over $2000. What is a reasonable amount? I want safe surgery, but at optimal cost. If my conditions are not satisfied for now, I may chose to not do the surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM

26,219 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I just talked to my eye doctor about it, end result is that it's best for me to not bother with it.

I'm 61, have tiny cataracts that someday have to be addressed. The way she explained it, when they fix cataracts they also fix whatever vision problem I have anyway, thus having lasik now and cataract surgery somewhere down the road would essentially be paying twice.

She also said her husband has had the surgery and he gets problems with glare. Some people also see halo's after lasik and some people end up wearing glasses again after a number of years.

AFAIC, it isn't worth the expense and trouble. YMMV.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,764 times
I had the custom wavefront lasik done 3 years ago at Colorado Laser Surgeons in Denver. (My eye doc in Boulder wouldn't send me anywhere else.) I am very happy with the results. They are not inexpensive, but these are my EYES! They are very thorough, they run many tests, and they will refuse to perform the surgery if you are not a good candidate. The only problem I experienced was dry eyes which lasted about a year. Of course that is very common here at elevation and with our dry air.
Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 PM

>>They are not inexpensive, but these are my EYES!

If I may ask... how much did it cost? Money will be a factor for me since I need to save up for the surgery BEFORE I go.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I just talked to my eye doctor about it, end result is that it's best for me to not bother with it.

AFAIC, it isn't worth the expense and trouble. YMMV.
This is something I've heard too. I'll back down at any hesitancy or discomfort on the doctor's side, or so I've planned . I don't yet know if I'm a good candidate for this surgery yet, but I'm trying to schedule a few consultations in the next few weeks to determine that.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
If you just recently developed astigmatism, you're not a good candidate, unless you're wearing gas permeable (hard) contacts, and the lenses are the cause. One of the criteria is your prescription being STABLE. Lasik only corrects the refractive error there now. If your eyes are still changing, so will your refractive error, after Lasik.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
One of the criteria is your prescription being STABLE. Lasik only corrects the refractive error there now. If your eyes are still changing, so will your refractive error, after Lasik.
My prescription is not stable, it moves by about +/- .25 every year. But I haven't got my eyes checked at the same place regularly, and I feel that this difference could also be because of that.
I'm 28, I was told that my eyes would stabilize a long time ago!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
I also thought astigmatism is something that doesn't just happen.

I had some techs who thought I might have keratoconus and would thus be a non-candidate for the surgery. It was mainly a matter of how my corneas look in the topographies. You can see the hour-glass of astigmatism, but it wasn't nice and symmetrical nor did it seem to center well. Perhaps my apex is just off-center.

I hope it's a good surgery... for some. I have family who had it done. Perhaps my two cousins were good candidates or something. But one wasn't and he just wears glasses again and I don't think he's too happy with his vision. But he seems to have a really hard time complaining about it.

You know, the people who are high myopes who have it done seem to be so happy when the surgery is done and they can see so well without correction. They are probably the biggest advocates of the surgery and are so happy to share the news! But what I think they should consider is that... just because it went so well for them, that's not always the whole story. It may not be good for you.

The whole 90% success rate thing means nothing because when an incident or a bad result happens to you, it becomes 100%.

I think the biggest thing people need to consider with LASIK or any variation is that IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL NOT NEED GLASSES AGAIN! So in my mind, it brings up the thought... what's the point? Do you want to become LESS dependent on your prescription? What's gonna happen to your vision down the road? Will you be able to bear the dry eye, pain, other possible side effects down the road?

I just saw a thread in the Health and Wellness forum about someone who got catarac surgery and how well it's gone. I, like Mike, agree with that necessary surgery and why not let them correct your vision at that end? With that removable and replaceable lens.

I know too much about LASIK and the industry to be of any use to anyone wanting to get talked into it here. I'm probably only going to try to talk you out of it.

I don't like RGPs either. I tried contacts and just could not stand them, everytime I blinked. Glasses! What's wrong with good old glasses? Really? they protect your eyes somewhat too. They can be replaced when they get too scratched or when your prescriptions change too much.

You're young. You've got the brain too. It helps you see more than we know. You've got lots of accommodation. Don't you want healthy strong eye muscles? If you ever get a doc who brags about doing cornea transplant surgeries, run away! Please!

I'd like to add something; I hear suggestions to go to a "good" doctor and stuff. Well there's still no guarantee that a "good" doctor won't have an incident or you won't have a bad result, nor is there any guarantee that a "bad" or "cheap" doctor won't have a "good" surgery and you have a "good" result.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I and my wife had this surgery in 2000 with great results. I think if you pick a good doctor they will prescreen you and let you know if your a candadite. In fact the longest time we sent was the testing and information session the day before. After that the surgery was painless and easy. Even the aftermath was nothing with the worse part being having to wear those goggles the first 24 hrs and then sleeping with them for a week at night.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,399 times
I had lasik just over a year ago. I was near-sighted with an astymatism. This was the best decision I ever made. I hated wearing contacts and glasses. I was able to backpack this summer without the hassle of contacts.

I had some dryness shortly after the surgery and every now and then my eyes get dry but it is actually much less than when I had contacts. I keep artificial tears with me at work and at home.

I had my surgery done at 20/20 institute. They are located in Englewood. It cost me about $4000 but I believe they have cheaper options as well as 0% financing (although not sure if that is still offered.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver