Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brighton Nazis
Outraged and disgusted! 4 22.22%
Angered but hey it's the constitution, free speech and all 7 38.89%
Forget about the constitution, it's time to not tolerate bigots 3 16.67%
Eh, who cares, I've better things to worry about 5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,270,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
haha, nice David.

Yeah, like I said, it started for me when I was very young. I went to an all-white school from 4th-12th and also in a very small town which really didn't help. I think there were maybe 3 blacks in the entire town. A lot of hispanics but they really kept to themselves and I guess it was obvious I wasn't hispanic. So it took me until adulthood to work thru it and realize that I am not in that town any longer or that school and attitude makes all the difference.

I've come to realize Denver really is a decent place. Very, very friendly people. And I make sure to work hard at maintaining that happy, upbeat attitude and yep, you are right, people react to that.

Funny also about looks, because when I travel, I often get mistaken for a Puerto Rican or Dominican. On my last trip to the DR, I realized I look just like them!

"Brown is beautiful" --- thanks.
And brown is "better" living at this altitude - protects your skin from the sun I hate having to put on sunblock 8 months of the year.

Here's a funny story- recently some old (70s) white man came up to me and asked me "are those your boys" and I said yes. Then he asked me where they were from, so I replied, "Denver". He looked puzzled, and I realized he thought they were adopted from some third world country and he couldn't figure out what country that was lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,730,403 times
I don't think you are one of the bubble people Denverian. And just because you aren't brown doesn't mean you aren't in a special class. Lucky for you it just happens to be a class that isn't exactly noticeable right off the bat. What I mean by bubble is more like head in the sand. Or basic refusal to acknowledge what exists.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 PM

I like my brown skin. I get a lot of compliments. But I burn just as well. Could be me getting older. My first burn was when I was 30. I had no idea why my skin hurt. I used a loofah in the shower and came out on fire. My DH just about lost it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And brown is "better" living at this altitude - protects your skin from the sun I hate having to put on sunblock 8 months of the year.
That's funny denverian!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Here's a funny story- recently some old (70s) white man came up to me and asked me "are those your boys" and I said yes. Then he asked me where they were from, so I replied, "Denver". He looked puzzled, and I realized he thought they were adopted from some third world country and he couldn't figure out what country that was lol!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I like my brown skin. I get a lot of compliments. But I burn just as well. Could be me getting older. My first burn was when I was 30. I had no idea why my skin hurt. I used a loofah in the shower and came out on fire. My DH just about lost it!!!

That's funny denverian!!!!!!!!
OMG! A loofah on a sunburn? I learned many years ago not to stay in the sun long enough to get a bad burn, or to drink enough to vomit. Everything in moderation!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think you are one of the bubble people Denverian. And just because you aren't brown doesn't mean you aren't in a special class. Lucky for you it just happens to be a class that isn't exactly noticeable right off the bat. What I mean by bubble is more like head in the sand. Or basic refusal to acknowledge what exists.
Thanks! and yes, very true.

I do live in somewhat of a bubble. I rarely get too far outside my Stapleton to Downtown domain these days. I should probably get out more often lol!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,145,978 times
Quote:
You just said it so well.

It's what's so important for all of us to understand; there are those hateful folks out there, who presume to say who among us has the right to live and breathe as who we are. Some of the classes they target are immediately visible, some not so much. But the nazis would eliminate us all without a second thought, that's their goal. They're equal opportunity haters. Let's not squabble among ourselves about who they hate more, or who among us have it worse. We must all be in it together.

Last edited by suzco; 01-28-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,310,162 times
I'm surprised these morons would support a road made of blacktop.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Well, I loofah everyday, keeps my skin nice. I had been on the beach all day, with sunscreen, but I didn't realize you had to keep applying. When I was younger I never wore sunscreen. And a lot probably washed off in the sea. So I took my usual shower, started loofahing, then thought owww.

So yep, that lesson is next to the know when to stop drinking rule.

Quote:
OMG! A loofah on a sunburn? I learned many years ago not to stay in the sun long enough to get a bad burn, or to drink enough to vomit. Everything in moderation!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks. You aren't a bubble person either. I deem you a non-bubble person. So glad to have met you online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
You just said it so well.

It's what's so important for all of us to understand; there are those hateful folks out there, who presume to say who among us has the right to live and breathe as who we are. Some of the classes they target are immediately visible, some not so much. But the nazis would eliminate us all without a second thought, that's their goal. They're equal opportunity haters. Let's not squabble among ourselves about who they hate more, or who among us have it worse. We must all be in it together.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I'm surprised these morons would support a road made of blacktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver