Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,666 times

Advertisements

WOW People!!!!

CO_Transplant really needs to get over herself and move back to the P.R.L.A. (Peoples Republic of Los Angeles). She and many others don't seem to realize their lack of an open mind, and that basing their opinions of a city purely on what they are used to, and criticizing anything that is different than their special comfort zone IS PATHETIC!!!!

Denver is a BIG city, Yes it is!!!

Yes I'm mostly talking to you CO_Transplant. You say people think Denver is big only because they havn't been to any other big cities, and we are comparing it to the small towns in the rest of Colorado??? Wow I had no idea that a big city could only be categorized as something like L.A. NYC, etc. Thanks for letting me know. Also I've been to and lived in many places in the US (Including your precious and shmoooozy LA). But according to you I havn't been anywhere if I think Denver is a big city, THANK YOU for letting me know this.

You realize you are being a huge hypocrite by saying that this mentality is why Denverites think Denver is a big city. I could say that you only think Denver is a small city because you are from the HUGE city of LA. See the arrogance of yours here? So I guess to you, anything below the size of say Houston TX is a tiny town? WOW!!!!!

I have lived and been in many cities in the US long enough to know about them, (and if I don't like them I leave!!! If I can't leave I get over myself!!!) Take a hint CA and other people!

People complain about things and fail to realize that they are simply comparing it to their personal perceptions which are based on broad generalizations and not at all factual. I've never understood this, it's not hard to realize this.

Well I was going to rant more but I don't want to be like the people who need to get over themselves.

Last edited by JMM64; 02-21-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,666 times
My god people, good food is totally opinionative!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get over yourselves everybody who makes these threads about food, glam, etc.!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Poor job market, high COL, increasing traffic (45-60mins for 10 mile commute), random blizzards. I used to think that Denver WAS great when I first moved here. Now it's just an overpriced, congested resort town for ski bums and the like. I guess I should have suspected such a beautiful place could not last that long.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
WOW People!!!!

CO_Transplant really needs to get over herself and move back to the P.R.L.A. (Peoples Republic of Los Angeles). She and many others don't seem to realize their lack of an open mind, and that basing their opinions of a city purely on what they are used to, and criticizing anything that is different than their special comfort zone IS PATHETIC!!!!

Denver is a BIG city, Yes it is!!!

Yes I'm mostly talking to you CO_Transplant. You say people think Denver is big only because they havn't been to any other big cities, and we are comparing it to the small towns in the rest of Colorado??? Wow I had no idea that a big city could only be categorized as something like L.A. NYC, etc. Thanks for letting me know. Also I've been to and lived in many places in the US (Including your precious and shmoooozy LA). But according to you I havn't been anywhere if I think Denver is a big city, THANK YOU for letting me know this.

You realize you are being a huge hypocrite by saying that this mentality is why Denverites think Denver is a big city. I could say that you only think Denver is a small city because you are from the HUGE city of LA. See the arrogance of yours here? So I guess to you, anything below the size of say Houston TX is a tiny town? WOW!!!!!

I have lived and been in many cities in the US long enough to know about them, (and if I don't like them I leave!!! If I can't leave I get over myself!!!) Take a hint CA and other people!

People complain about things and fail to realize that they are simply comparing it to their personal perceptions which are based on broad generalizations and not at all factual. I've never understood this, it's not hard to realize this.

Well I was going to rant more but I don't want to be like the people who need to get over themselves.
Bitchen post. And yes, I said bitchen.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
I find very few negatives about living here. I love the snow. I love the sun. I love looking at the foothills on my drive home from work. The traffic here is so much lighter than what I experienced in California. For the most part people are very laid back and I like that. The beer is beyond good. The job market for a techie is solid. I am sure I could find something to complain about but nothing comes to mind right at this moment.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 PM

55 posts, read 110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This thread was supposed to be about the "negatives"!
My negative is that I am not there yet!!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Poor job market, high COL, increasing traffic (45-60mins for 10 mile commute), random blizzards. I used to think that Denver WAS great when I first moved here. Now it's just an overpriced, congested resort town for ski bums and the like. I guess I should have suspected such a beautiful place could not last that long.

I wonder what all those people in traffic are commuting to then?

COL is solved by living in Commerce City.

This has been the MILDEST winter out of my six here.

Resort town???? Ski bums????

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,958 times
I do think Cost of Living is a bit high here when put against comparable cities across the country.

If you don't like brown grass for half the year, well, that's probably a negative. I don't mind it at all.

Our train network isn't fully built out...yet.

The air is dry, which makes people happier about the weather, except for when they complain about how dry the air is.

Pretty good odds that your house is sinking. Also, we seem to have a shortage of houses (?!)

Some disapprove of the homeless, which we have a sizeable, visibile number of here.

Some people fear some demon horse near the airport, but all I've seen is a crazy blue mustang with glowing red eyes.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM

136 posts, read 461,033 times
I typically start to get antsy from mid-February to about mid April around here waiting for spring to arrive....It arrives a few weeks later here than other parts of the country. I'm okay with snow in January, but am pretty annoyed seeing snow in April and beyond. If Colorado summer lasted a couple months longer in either calendar direction, I would never leave.

Also the isolation of Denver from other cities and the ocean. The next major city is an 8+ hour drive or a plane ride away. The closest beach is a 2 day drive or plane ride away. I love the mountains and the ocean, there are places in the country that have easier access to both for the same cost of living as Denver.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

I wonder what all those people in traffic are commuting to then?

COL is solved by living in Commerce City.

This has been the MILDEST winter out of my six here.

Resort town???? Ski bums????
Commerce City is gross and literally smells. There is a reason people don't live there and rents are cheap. I wouldn't live there for concern of my health.

Obviously, people have jobs here. I have a job. That doesn't mean getting a new job is going to come easy here. Denver is not much better than the Metro Detroit (not Detroit proper) job market IMO. The job market is weak here and is highly dependent on the food and beverage industry. So, if you want to make a living as a bartender or waiter, this is a great place. New bars/restaurants are always popping up. White collar, professional? Not so much.

I didn't complain about this winter. Generally there are freak snow blizzards. It's not the end all be all, but it's a negative in my book if you aren't used to it. People obviously can't drive in it, as I-25 and I-70 become parking lots once that first snow flake hits the ground.

A lot of people move here solely because the mountains are so close. So, even though Denver isn't in the mountains per se, people move here for the quick and easy access to the mountains. That results in you having a bunch of ski bums living here. That, in my book, makes Denver a quasi-resort town. For someone who has lived here for six years, I'm not sure how you don't understand that. Skiing/snowboarding is a HUGE part of the culture here. Thus, we have a bunch of low-income, 20-something, Shaun White wannabes moving here and driving up rents.

Furthermore, the gap between rich and poor here is astounding. You have Cap Hill, a small neighborhood that attracts lower income young people, surrounded by neighborhoods with half-million dollar homes. I make alright money as a single person, yet I couldn't fathom buying a home in Denver or even in the immediate suburbs due to the high cost of the homes out here. Sorry, but even $250,000 for a small 3-BR ranch in Thornton is a bit ridiculous. I wouldn't move here with the intention of buying a home unless I'm clearing at least $65k/yr as a single person or married (DINKs). Otherwise, if you're financially responsible, you'll be strapped to apartment living or having roommates.

Last edited by Tekkie; 02-22-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver