Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariafraietta View Post
. . . And, I believe that Boulder Valley schools are not downsizing next year!!
From Boulder Valley School District, (http://bvsd.org/FRONTNEWS/Pages/StatewideFiscalCrisis.aspx - broken link) Superintendent Chris King says:

Quote:
Statewide Fiscal Crisis for K-12 Education

A Statewide Fiscal Crisis is Hitting all 178 School Districts throughout Colorado
Large budget cuts must be made by every school and department in Boulder Valley School District

According to state elected leaders and the media, Colorado state government is now in the second year of its worst fiscal crisis since the Great Depression. Until now, BVSD has generally been able to shield the schools from budget cuts, but the news from the Capitol has gotten worse in the last few weeks. The reductions in state funding for BVSD are now much too large to be managed without significant cuts to school budgets.

BVSD Superintendent Chris King and district budget and finance staff began meeting with all 54 BVSD principals, assistant principals, and department directors in January to talk about how to manage this budget crisis. Because BVSD cannot be certain that the cuts for 2010-2011 will not go even deeper, this group was presented preliminary plans for 1) a best case scenario ($12 million in BVSD cuts), 2) a middle case scenario ($18 million in BVSD cuts) or 3) a worst case scenario ($25 million in BVSD cuts). For schools, the amounts needed to be cut to meet each of these three targets are 2.25 percent, 5.25 percent, or 8.25 percent. Each department in BVSD’s central administration will make cuts of 7.5 percent, 13.50 percent or 19.75 percent, depending on how large the final funding cuts end up being from the state. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
I think all school districts are hurting. If anyone wants to teach, I'd suggest applying everywhere. I've heard stories of teachers driving long distances to work, including some on this board.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM

36 posts, read 85,311 times
To the topic starter.

Soulrebel,

Given your preference for the country living and a large lot, your best bet is to look to places to the North of Denver - Thornton, Brighton, Broomfield, Lafayette, etc,

The south of Denver (including the Cherry Creek Park) area is very dense. I recently moved here from NJ, so it is fine with me , but when I get to the north part of town, it really feels rural to me.

There are a lot of apartments for rent available around Denver, we now live in a 3 story apartment building with 12 units in the building, I believe only 3-4 units are occupied. You should be able to get a lot of space for you buck.

If I were looking at a place to live on the north side of town, I'd look here:
http://www.amli.com/apartments/denver/westcliff/

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 16,780 times
Default Moving from Colorado to Charlotte

Now I am bummed! I read that somebody here moved from Charlotte to Colorado and would never go back! I am being forced to move to get a job in NC. I have lived here for 16 years and LOVE it! I thought I would NEVER move away. The Town of Parker is ideal for families and people who love dogs. The commute is good to the Tech Center and not even that bad to downtown to get away from the crowds. Parker has a very small town feel and has an actual downtown area where people walk around. My house is for sale, immaculate, and if anyone needs one, contact me back and I will give you my real estate listing broker name.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 16,780 times
Kyle...what did you not like about Charlotte? I have been teary eyed and upset for weeks now. My DH has been living in Charlotte by himself and now I have my house listed three weeks ago getting ready to make the move and leaving all my grown kids and grandkids in Colorado. I wish we could all just switch jobs around so nobody had to move when they did not want to do so. (argh!!)

Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makay855 View Post
To the topic starter.

Soulrebel,

Given your preference for the country living and a large lot, your best bet is to look to places to the North of Denver - Thornton, Brighton, Broomfield, Lafayette, etc,

The south of Denver (including the Cherry Creek Park) area is very dense. I recently moved here from NJ, so it is fine with me , but when I get to the north part of town, it really feels rural to me.

There are a lot of apartments for rent available around Denver, we now live in a 3 story apartment building with 12 units in the building, I believe only 3-4 units are occupied. You should be able to get a lot of space for you buck.

If I were looking at a place to live on the north side of town, I'd look here:
http://www.amli.com/apartments/denver/westcliff/
There are few, if any, large lots in Lafayette. OK, I know of one; my hairdresser's house, but I'm not sure it's even in the city limits. The minimum lot size in Lafayette is 5000 sq. ft., and in many cases, the minimum is the maximum. I don't think Thornton or Broofield are much different. I don't know much at all about Brighton.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM

437 posts, read 929,530 times
Ok this post is about Denver not Charlotte or Lafeyette. please stay on topic.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Ok this post is about Denver not Charlotte or Lafeyette. please stay on topic.
Wait, how is it not about Lafayette? It's a discussion about greater metro-denver and the OP asked about the potential in the Broomfield area.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM

437 posts, read 929,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Wait, how is it not about Lafayette? It's a discussion about greater metro-denver and the OP asked about the potential in the Broomfield area.
right. still sounds off topic tho

Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
i have been thru Denver. very beautiful. its just as beautiful in Utah. i assume its relatively expensive to live in Denver (cost of living or w/e you want to call it) but look on the brightside. in the great depression had an average of 25% unemployment. Today is only 10%
But you driving through Denver is "on topic?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver