Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,786,821 times

Advertisements

I like the Stapleton area but if you don't like mingling with neighbors and need space, this is probably not the best spot for you. Near CC reservoir there are housing options and you can certainly rent near the area if you like to get acclimated and find your perfect home (can be pricey for your acre here). We live in this area, in Cherry Creek School district, and it's a trek to the mountains from here. Not sure about teaching positions, but CCSD just started to build a science and tech school, and it's a growing district compared to neighboring districts despite the cuts in funding from the state. As another poster said, get all your certifications squared away so when it comes time for applying she will be a step ahead of other applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,818,279 times
You can get a country environment in Littleton. In fact parts of Littleton are in the mountains/foothills and you can have as much privacy and space you need there.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
We don't know how much you want to spend.
Well we would be renting in the beginning, but I would expect to pay $1,000-$1,300 per month. I don't want to suggest a home purchase price as I'm too unfamiliar with the market. We currently live in a home of approximately $250K, but that's definitely more house here in NC than in CO. We would probably be looking in the $300K range.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 AM

13,825 posts, read 30,038,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
Well we would be renting in the beginning, but I would expect to pay $1,000-$1,300 per month. I don't want to suggest a home purchase price as I'm too unfamiliar with the market. We currently live in a home of approximately $250K, but that's definitely more house here in NC than in CO. We would probably be looking in the $300K range.

Thanks for the advice guys.
$1000-$1300/mo doesn't go very far here rent-wise. I used to pay $1259/mo for a big house (IMO, 2200 sq ft) on a big lot (9000 sq ft) in what some people call a ghetto/marginal neighborhood (Central Aurora) with terrible schools (though I liked it, except the school part).

Other examples:
$969 for a 3/2 apartment in South Aurora
$775 for a 2/2 apartment in SE Denver.

Craigslist can give you some other examples (after you weed out the scams of course), but $1300 doesn't go very far here.

For $300K, an acre, and work on the east side of Denver near Stapleton, you are looking at the plains. I see some in Hudson (long commute), Bennett (not quite as bad), Brighton (sounds like a good fit), and you might see some with Henderson, Thornton, or Commerce City addresses, or other plains towns down I-70 eastward, or up I-76. Places like Parker, Elizabeth, Evergreen, Conifer, etc, are simply too far.

However, by living on the plains, you won't be getting "True Colorado" as you probably imagine it. It will look like western NE or KS, but you'll see some mountains off in the distance. Just something to keep in mind.

Just because you are "used to a 30-45 min" commute in Charlotte, doesn't mean you have to do that to yourself here. Heck, on some snowy days it can take 1.5 hours to go 5 miles (or less). You don't need to set yourself up for that, it happens often enough that it's something you don't want to overlook.

Last edited by Count David; 02-18-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 14,988 times
Great info and good points. I appreciate the perspective on the commute; we'll try to keep it a little more reasonable for those bad weather days.

Quote:
However, by living on the plains, you won't be getting "True Colorado" as you probably imagine it. It will look like western NE or KS, but you'll see some mountains off in the distance. Just something to keep in mind.
This is a great point and something that we are just coming to realize. We picture Golden and the like when we picture Colorado. Reality can be rough somtimes.

Brighton, Henderson, Thornton, Broomsfield. Anyone have opinions about these areas relative to each other and Denver?

Thanks again for all of the help. We are going to have to make a decision soon. Hopefully we'll be neighbors before the end of the summer!

Have a great weekend.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM

726 posts, read 2,152,656 times
We moved here with the hope of having the big land/backyard but ended up in Broomfield. I think once you're here you realize that there's trails and open space everywhere so you stop caring about having the large lot. I love our location. 20 min to Denver, 15 to Boulder (at non peak times). It's a good location for working in either. Brighton's pretty affordable, you seem to get a lot of house for the money.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
We moved here with the hope of having the big land/backyard but ended up in Broomfield. I think once you're here you realize that there's trails and open space everywhere so you stop caring about having the large lot. I love our location. 20 min to Denver, 15 to Boulder (at non peak times). It's a good location for working in either. Brighton's pretty affordable, you seem to get a lot of house for the money.
I like Broomfield, have no experience with the others. As the above poster said, there are trails everywhere. A large(ish) lot was important to us when we moved here b/c we like to garden, have an above-ground pool, play croquet, grill, etc. My kids did gymnastics for Broomfield High School; there seems to be a good sense of community there.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM

13,825 posts, read 30,038,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
Brighton, Henderson, Thornton, Broomsfield. Anyone have opinions about these areas relative to each other and Denver?
Broomfield is kind of the oddball out of this list. It's nice, but IMO you don't get as much for your money as you would in many other metro cities. The commute to Stapleton might be a little unnecessarily long (more time-wise) as well.

When I mentioned Brighton, Henderson and Thornton, I wasn't really referring to the cities themselves, but more to unincorporated areas with each city's address. Like Riverdale Rd as a guideline and north and eastward from there. Much of it has a country feeling, but there are some suburban communities here and there.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 PM

18 posts, read 48,307 times
CJ,
You did not mention your price point, but an acre of land close to the city can get pricey. For your location, south of the Brighton area might make sense as there are acreage lots there. In real estate, the trade offs are price, location, features.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 71,974 times
I am a teacher and realtor in Denver. I'd suggest somewhere north, like Louisville or Lafayette. They have a few hip areas as well as neighborhoods with good-sized yards and trees. The commute to the Stapleton area would be a LOT easier than from down south. CC State Park is nice, but depending on your price range most likely doesn't really offer what you're looking for in a home.

Also, if you were a bit further north, your wife would have access to school districts up north that often struggle to find teachers (Brighton, etc.). And, I believe that Boulder Valley schools are not downsizing next year!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver