Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 27,134 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is currently finishing her 2nd year as a high school special ed. teacher in Ohio (qualified to teach mild to moderate and moderate to severe handicaps) and has always dreamed of moving to Denver (I have also). On the websites, most schools require having a Colorado license to teach, but in order to complete the paperwork, she has to get a document signed by her school district saying that she has worked there, thereby making it known that she is looking for another job. She has hesitated to do this because she is scared that in this tough economy making it known that she is looking for another job will automatically exclude her from keeping this job if, god forbid, no jobs turn up in Denver. She says that she will do the paperwork if offered the job, but I said that most resources that I have seen say that you should apply for a license as soon as possible in order to be considered at all. Can someone please provide me with some advice as to how we should go about obtaining the license? Does it make sense to apply to jobs without applying for the Colorado teaching license? She has already applied to probably 10 schools with openings and looks to do many more but I don't want all her effort to be in vain. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
I don't know how they review applications here, though in the back of my head I would think they prefer having the license in hand so it would be one less thing to deal with on their part. Is that going to keep her from even getting an interview? Possibly, but again hopefully someone with knowledge of the process can chime in.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I don't remember having to do that when I applied for my CO teaching license. She should get it right now.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
First look closer at the paperwork that needs to be signed by her current employer. Are you sure this "gives it away" that she's looking for another job?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 PM

In order to apply for a Colorado Teaching License, it is required that she get a human resources or administrator to verify that she worked at that school for the dates that she stated. The top of the form has in big bold letters the words: "Application for Colorado Teaching License."

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdenver View Post
In order to apply for a Colorado Teaching License, it is required that she get a human resources or administrator to verify that she worked at that school for the dates that she stated. The top of the form has in big bold letters the words: "Application for Colorado Teaching License."
This doesn't automatically mean that she is looking for other jobs. She could simply be getting things in order to eventually move to Colorado. I don't think they would have merit to get rid of her just because she is getting in license in another state. Regardless, as someone who has gone through several state teaching licensure processes, she should definitely get her license before applying. With the economy the way it is, she wants to make sure all her ducks are in a row. If there is any glitch, ie no Colorado teaching license, the school may decide to pass on her application before even interviewing. There are so many qualified candidates out there right now, so even the slightest delay could make a difference. I know here in Oregon, a school district won't even look at your application until you are licensed to teach in the state.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I will pass it on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: