Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 20,481 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to Denver in July 2011.

How early should I apply for a Colorado teaching license?

In May I will graduate with a masters degree in Early Childhood Education.

I have 2 years teaching experience from a private school and one year experience from a charter school. However I taught for 2 years and then went back to school and I am currently teaching now.

Will I need to take any tests to get a license in Colorado. What about the PLACE test?

I know the economy it is hard to find a job...I was lucky to get a job where I am currently.

How early do the schools in Denver start to hire? Whats the best month to start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
If you did all of that teaching under a valid teaching license, you may be allowed just to use your experience to gain a Colorado license. However, if you didn't, you might need to take some tests.

Educator Licensing and Professional Services Index Page

I had a Connecticut license and four years of teaching experience in a public school. I took Praxis I and the content specific Praxis II to get my CT license. I just needed to get signatures from my undergrad and grad experiences and my previous work place. The only part of the process I had trouble with was the fingerprinting because they kept getting smudged. grrrrr..... In all, it took three months? (due to three sets of fingerprints going across the country).

As for the schools, they will start in earnest in Feb/March and April. There is a teacher fair that happens in March in Denver and another one that was on the same weekend a few years ago in Greeley. They were very well attended by people seeking jobs and schools.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I do have a valid teaching license. When you did your fingerprinting did you mail it in or does the place where you get the fingerprints mail it for you? Is there a form to send to my college to have them fill out?

Looks like I better apply for my CO license now. Did you happen to attend one of the job fairs? If so did you get hired there.

Do you know if Denver will be hiring in 2011. I live in Vegas and there was a hiring freeze here. Didn't know if that was the same for Denver public schools.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Apply now for your license. There will be a surge in applications at the beginning of the year as people in teacher education programs graduate in December and send in their paperwork. You do not need to have a license to be hired if you can show that you have started the process. It is also possible to get a provisional license for a year or so while you complete any tests or courses that are Colorado-specific.

Denver is very different from Vegas in that Clark County is the only school district around. There are at least a dozen different school districts in the Metro Area, and you have to apply at each of them individually. Because of retirements, relocations and non-renewals, there are always jobs to be found. However, since a few districts have cut staff recently, there are a number of unemployed teachers still looking for jobs. A good step if you don't get hired is to make contacts by working as a sub for different districts. This could get you a feel for which districts you like best.

Here are some districts you might want to try:

Boulder Valley Public Schools Few cuts, very good district

Cherry Creek School District Few cuts, very good district

Douglas County School District has experienced cuts and is in the middle of some teacher turmoil

Littleton Public Schools
has a stagnant population and has made cuts recently. Very good district though.

Adams Co. Dist. 12 Five Star Schools (http://www.adams12.org/en/hr_recruiting_employment - broken link) is a good district on the north side of the Metro area

Jefferson County Public School District is the largest school district and has some very good schools.

Other districts in the Metro area include: Adams Co. Dist. 1, Adams Co. Dist. 14, Adams Co. Dist. 50, Aurora Public Schools, Brighton Public Schools, Denver Public Schools, Englewood Public Schools, and Sheridan Public Schools. These would all be less desirable (IMO) because the working conditions are tougher, and many of these districts have experienced big budget cuts.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks davidv for all the great info. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Do you happen to know if all the paperwork has to be in right away? I wanted to wait on the paperwork that my current school has to fill out proving I work there.

More than likely I will be looking at areas close to the airport. Besides public schools I may look into charter and private schools.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I think the vast majority of school districts have had budget cuts. Boulder Valley approved a tax increase, yet still had budget cuts due to state cuts. I would recommend applying to every district in the metro area. If you get offered a job, you can decide if you want to work in that particular district.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info!!

Has anyone had any luck in this economy getting hired without having your CO teaching license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver