Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times

Advertisements

Fawn's Asian Cuisine on University has the best Pho in the city. Chicago Speakeasy has an awesome steak. As for burritos, I still haven't found anything close to what I had in California. However, the little dive on 24th and Forest is ok. Of course I like the original Jethro's, but have to admit I haven't ventured too much into the world of barbeque since I moved back in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Try Woody's Smoke Shack on Cottage Grove for what I think is the best BBQ in the city. Smokey D's (the 2nd Avenue location) is a close second for me. I love Jethro's menu, but I don't find the BBQ to be that great. The chicken wings on the other hand, are some of the best I've ever had anywhere.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Fawn's Asian Cuisine on University has the best Pho in the city. Chicago Speakeasy has an awesome steak. As for burritos, I still haven't found anything close to what I had in California. However, the little dive on 24th and Forest is ok. Of course I like the original Jethro's, but have to admit I haven't ventured too much into the world of barbeque since I moved back in 2010.
What kind of burritos were you looking for again? I get to mexican restaurants way too often, and may be able to give you some additional suggestions.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
There used to be a place called "Daddy O's" in Grimes...years ago. That place would literally "smoke" Jethro's away. Too bad it closed down.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
What kind of burritos were you looking for again? I get to mexican restaurants way too often, and may be able to give you some additional suggestions.
West coast style. Rice, beans, pico, carne asada, and wrapped in tin foil. Haven't been able to find that at any of the places I've been. Been to the place on 10th and University and 24th (ish) and Forest. Any suggestions?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Theme of the thread? I was just asking where everyone liked to eat. What's the theme?

Some of my faves:

A Dong (best eggrolls ever)
Thai Flavors
India Star
El Rodeo (not so much the food, but for the margaritas)
Mi Mexico

Mrs. Tek and I made the mistake one night of ordering margaritas at the bar, then another when we went to the table. I just barely made it home. That was the first time in a loooong time that I seriously considered calling a cab...

They have more tequila in their margs than any place I've ever been - except home. Food's pretty good, too.

Legends spicy spinach dip and tenderloins - a breaded loin fixed like a grilled - hot peppers and cheese.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mi Mexico

Mrs. Tek and I made the mistake one night of ordering margaritas at the bar, then another when we went to the table. I just barely made it home. That was the first time in a loooong time that I seriously considered calling a cab...

They have more tequila in their margs than any place I've ever been - except home. Food's pretty good, too.

Legends spicy spinach dip and tenderloins - a breaded loin fixed like a grilled - hot peppers and cheese.
I like their (MiMexico) cole slaw side. It goes well with beans and rice.

If I want margs I go to el rodeo.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,716 times
I don't think you could ever be let down by Latin King. Ever.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,716 times
Chicago Speakeasy - hands down one of the best places in the Metro!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I like their (MiMexico) cole slaw side. It goes well with beans and rice.

If I want margs I go to el rodeo.
The last time we went there (The one off University by the interstate) we were very disappointed. It's been a number of years now so perhaps we should try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmcfall View Post
I don't think you could ever be let down by Latin King. Ever.
Agreed. We went there prom night...... 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmcfall View Post
Chicago Speakeasy - hands down one of the best places in the Metro!
My boss used to take us there for Christmas lunch every year. Excellent restaurant.

We used to go to the Tavern on 50th, but it was sold and the new management was a flop. We haven't been there since, which is a shame because I loved their pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines