Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times

Advertisements

What is your fave place to eat in Des Moines and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,352,491 times
That’s pretty open-ended. My answers vary greatly if I’m considering breakfast vs. lunch during the workday vs. a special evening out where I’m planning on dropping some $$$ vs. the place I’d be sure to take out-of-town guests vs. the place I might take my folks when they visit vs. where we go if we were downtown for the evening vs. where we’d go if the weather was nice (so we could eat outside) vs.…

I’m not saying it isn’t a legit question, just hard to narrow down without any parameters. I think I can safely say I buy the most meals at Mickey D’s, but does that make it “my favorite”?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
That’s pretty open-ended. My answers vary greatly if I’m considering breakfast vs. lunch during the workday vs. a special evening out where I’m planning on dropping some $$$ vs. the place I’d be sure to take out-of-town guests vs. the place I might take my folks when they visit vs. where we go if we were downtown for the evening vs. where we’d go if the weather was nice (so we could eat outside) vs.…

I’m not saying it isn’t a legit question, just hard to narrow down without any parameters. I think I can safely say I buy the most meals at Mickey D’s, but does that make it “my favorite”?
When I think about my favorite, a couple places come to mind immediately.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
Monterrey (always preferred the original one) has better Mexican food than you'd find in a Texas border town in my opinion.

Usually these lists consist of which restaurants are the most "civic minded/just as fanatical about the community"...I remember ZombieBurger was voted one of the best restaurants in some local list (probably DmJuice) before it even opened. No surprises there.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM

586 posts, read 2,186,127 times
I like some restaurants too but in keeping with the theme of this thread so far, I'm not going to share any at this time...

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
When I think about my favorite, a couple places come to mind immediately.
Mine do too...that is, a couple places for each occasion/situation I previously listed (and also keeping with the theme of the thread so far, I'm not going to name names).

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Monterrey (always preferred the original one) has better Mexican food than you'd find in a Texas border town in my opinion.
My wife and I used to meet at the one in Altoona for lunch pretty regularly. I don't know if I'd call it my "favorite" (definitely top 5), but other than the chain places within walking distance of Menards in Ankeny it was probably the place I ate most often while we lived up there.

I was in Des Moines for a meeting a couple of weeks ago and made it a point to eat at Bandanas in Ankeny. It seems a little lame because it's a chain place, but I've always liked the food and chain places seem a lot less lame when you don't live close to them. Same would go for Famous Daves and Texas Roadhouse.

But if I really had to pick a favorite that is truly unique to Des Moines I would probably go with El Bait Shop. Can't really say why, it's justthe onethatkeeps coming back to my mind.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Theme of the thread? I was just asking where everyone liked to eat. What's the theme?

Some of my faves:

A Dong (best eggrolls ever)
Thai Flavors
India Star
El Rodeo (not so much the food, but for the margaritas)

Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Off the top of my head:

J Benjamen's/Simons
Centro
Fong's Pizza
Jethro's BBQ
Irina's
F & O's
Royal Mile
Olympic Flame
Django
Mullet's

Chains:

Old Chicago
Tx Roadhouse
Okoboji Grill
Famous Dave's
IHOP
Granite City
Chipotle

Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
Casey's pizza. Even better than Fong's (eww)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines