Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Exactly.. & pretty much as I put in a similar fashion earlier i.e. as someone having "issues".

Yeah. I know it's waste of time to repeat it, but you have to think that at some point it will sink in. Of course I'm a dreamer so don't expect much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
They don't agree with us...so they have "issues".

Textbook groupthink.

If someone likes pepperoni pizza...and you prefer cheese...Do they have issues? No, same with politics or religion. Republicans might hate democrats (and vice versa) but they rarely say that person has "issues" for not agreeing with their politics.

It's only with certain cities (mid-sized) that the "issues" argument is invoked.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
No, it's not that we don't agree with you Jonez, as everyone has a right to express their opinion, but rather it's how you and Jonezx2 put things & the attitudes you bring to the forum. It really is a case of a chip on the shoulder attitude for absolutely everything & every thread that you & Jonezx2 enter.
Can you honestly tell me when you ever came to the forum with the intention of presenting something positive & engaging in a real give & take exchange of ideas & opinions rather than just irritating people & making the same, tired comments & accusations? Think about it and be honest please.
It just comes across as the same old comments, snarks, sarcasm & put downs. And that gets really old fast. Then when you get a reaction that is negative or questioning, you (& now Jonezx2) chalk that up as just a case of groupthink hostility.
Have you not picked up on that yet? You're bright enough that you should be able to read the tea leaves as to what's really being communicated here. I'm sure that you have studied psychology enough to know exactly what you are doing here, right?
That is where the "issues" business comes into play because you have convinced others here that you do know & and intend to do it.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
RICSMLN and Funk please keep it up. I'm getting so many reps from this thread I can't believe it,

A gold mine!!
So, your priority in life is getting as much "clickable" praise from the choir...even if that choir consists of a narrow band of Internet strangers who share in your endless fascination with Des Moines' self-proclaimed ascendancy?

Well, I guess if I'm helping you achieve your goals...

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that you have studied psychology enough to know exactly what you are doing here, right?
...Says the Internet Tough Guy who can't stand to have his hilarious notions about skylines and population growth questioned by others.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM

You still have not responded to my query of last night.
When have you ever come to this forum with the idea of posting anything new or positive?
Name a single positive thought you have ever shared here.
Have you ever shared a positive idea with anyone in your real life away from this forum?
Have you ever had a thought or comment that was not negative or not made with an intent to belittle someone?

Old 05-31-2013, 08:18 PM

Jonez
My question to you was actually made yesterday morning that I referenced a moment ago.
I'm still waiting for an honest answer.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM

funk
You are so smart so name several hilarious ideas I have about skylines & also about population growth.
Not just one or two apiece so explain yourself thoroughly.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
funk
You are so smart so name several hilarious ideas I have about skylines & also about population growth.
Not just one or two apiece so explain yourself thoroughly.
It's hilarious that the idea of Des Moines as it relates to "skylines" is some big selling point that keeps getting touted by various posters (including you) on this forum. Yes, to somebody who spent their life in Clarion or Chariton, the Principal Building is an architectural marvel to behold. To most other residents of the United States who have visited New York, Chicago, or even Denver...the Des Moines skyline seems much closer in scope/density to Cedar Rapids than any of the aforementioned cities. Plus, I've never heard anyone say they selected a city because it had a couple buildings over 400 feet tall and their "second choice" didn't. Ever.

Population growth??? If untamed suburban sprawl is attractive to you, then Des Moines really does nail it. Judging by the census numbers coming out of Des Moines proper, it seems the city is still about the same size it was when JFK took office. Meanwhile, cornfields get turned into strip malls with Jimmy Johns like crazy away from the city. That's supposed to make Des Moines stand out from the crowd? Even lowly Davenport with its anemic 2% growth has managed to convert acres upon acres of farmland into strips malls for housing all those coveted Jimmy Johns.

If population growth is what makes a city awesome, then Ankeny is stealing Des Moines' thunder in a big way.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 AM

I never said it was a selling point funk. Here you said that I made it into a "big selling point" & thus you entirely missed the point. So read what I said in that post again as it was only an observation on the comparative Des Moines & Madison skylines, get it? When you look at it in that vein of conversation, you'll see that it doesn't matter how the Des Moines skyline relates in size as compared to Denver, New York or even Hong Kong or what anybody from Clarion or Ottumwa or Los Angeles might think of it.
I live in a large metro area that has more than one major area of skyscraper development & also currently has the tallest building in the United states outside of New York & Chicago so I know a thing or two about skylines & work in the midst of some 600-800 foot buildings in one of those clusters of development I mentioned. Plus, I've been in several foreign cities of note. Nevertheless, I like the Des Moines skyline, though it may be small. It is rather pleasant in appearance to me. If that gals you, then so be it.
Your claim that I called it a "big selling point" for Des Moines though is utterly ridiculous though. Honestly, a simple reading & comprehension of what is written can save a person from embarrassing themselves.
I am still waiting for you to bring you first contribution to the threads here that is really a contribution & not an ambush or a put down of someone or a general slap at people somewhere. All I hear on that "contribution" front from you are crickets. Is that the type of person you are off of the forum too?
Do you really understand the basic idea of the City-Data forum? If so, I wish that you would show it & bring something noteworthy to the table. It won't matter whether everyone agrees with what you write or not. When you do deliver here, then the members here will engage you again in an exchange of ideas, as I did with my first ever reply to you here several days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines