Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times

Advertisements

Spend some time there, work downtown, and you'll understand. While it's a nice community, the mentality can be a bit unbearable sometimes.

It's usually implied that it's close to NYC or LA in a pound-for-pound sense, but doesn't have the same big city problems, so in a way, it's better. It's Shangri-la.

The local publications definitely that push that mentality, and basically everyone there believes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,032 times
Jesus. Des Moines is a great city. Wth does it have to be NYC or LA to be a great city? Why can't it be what it is and a great city.

The negativity is sad. You people should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Spend some time there, work downtown, and you'll understand. While it's a nice community, the mentality can be a bit unbearable sometimes.

It's usually implied that it's close to NYC or LA in a pound-for-pound sense, but doesn't have the same big city problems, so in a way, it's better. It's Shangri-la.

The local publications definitely that push that mentality, and basically everyone there believes it.
I grew up near there and have been in and out of Des Moines my whole life, still haven't ran into that attitude. The closest I have experienced is just pride in the city, which what is wrong with that? And yes, Des Moines does offer things that bigger cities offer on a smaller scale, and there is less crime... I don't know how making that statement means somebody thinks Des Moines competes with alpha cities.

That is what smaller to midsize cities are... they have some of the benefits of larger cities on a smaller scale, they cost less, and have less crime. This isn't just about Des Moines... it is the same way in every other small-medium city that anchors a metropolitan area.

Des Moines has a minor league NBA team, a NBA game experience is generally tied to larger cities, but in midsize cities you can have a similar experience on a smaller level for less money. This doesn't mean that anyone thinks the Iowa Energy put the city on the same level as Denver or LA.

You seem to blow people noting the benefits of living in a medium size city way out of proportion. A couple pages ago you and another poster were making fun of Iowans for thinking that Des Moines has better arts than NYC... when nobody said that. They probably said something along the lines of "Des Moines has a respectable arts scene for its size and it is far cheaper than a large city." Which is not an untrue statement. You and the hater crew seem to play off of connotations that you make up in your head. Nobody thinks Des Moines is NYC, LA, or any other alpha city. I dare you to find a person who thinks that they are even close to competing with alpha cities.

Are you saying that Des Moines does not offer amenities that larger cities offer on a smaller scale? Are you disputing that it cost less and has less crime? Or is it possible that you are just upset that some people love the city that you seem to have a vendetta against?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 PM

How dare us to think that cities like des Moines and omaha are great places. Never mind the constant national applause we get for being top notch. No, let's just whine, ***** and cry because aren't NYC.

The same crap on the Omaha board virtually killed a once active community. It's like some people have an agenda to ruin things for the rest of us. It is sad, pathetic to think these losers are allowed to own a computer.

Btw. The omaha community moved to a different board where it can be better moderated. I know des Moines has an awesome board too.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM

Nevermind the standard "we're so awesome, you just don't get how great it is that Forbes called us the best city for bagels (XYZ stupidity metric).

One thing about Des Moines/Omaha/Madison/Indianapolis type cities, it's too much of a "with us or against us" mentality. Modern day cults. You cannot even dislike the smallest thing about them (in most places you can). The city pride thing is stronger than the Packers in Green Bay and can be a bit offsetting for some. That's not understood by many though, because most don't notice and simply follow it.

Last edited by tollfree; 03-28-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Nevermind the standard "we're so awesome, you just don't get how great it is that Forbes called us the best city for bagels (XYZ stupidity metric).

One thing about Des Moines/Omaha/Madison/Indianapolis type cities, it's too much of a "with us or against us" mentality. Modern day cults. You cannot even dislike the smallest thing about them (in most places you can). The city pride thing is stronger than the Packers in Green Bay and can be a bit offsetting for some. That's not understood by many though, because most don't notice and simply follow it.
Again, I have never ever heard anyone say anything like you just implied.

...And Des Moines is an awesome city for its size class, why is that a problem? Should people just not mention it? For cities around 200k that anchor a metro area, few rival it. Acknowledging it is not hubris... it just comes across as such to you because you have fought a diligent war on everything Des Moines for years. When you have a board-wide reputation as a troll... (you might be trolling).

My point still stands... except for your claims I have never heard anyone say Des Moines competes with alpha cities... or even close. They say that it is very nice for what it is... and it is.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
At one time I spent considerable time in Iowa. I thought the people I met were down to earth and genuine. I don't take a lot of stock in Forbes as they don't do their own footwork. I asked the editor and he admitted it. There are 3 Alpha+ cities and two Alpha cities in America. Who tagged them I don't know. The Alpha+cities are NYC, LA and Chicago. The Alpha cities are San Francisco and Denver. Of all the becautiful places in the 13 Midwest states with its advantages, there is only one Alpha and it is a 'plus; city.

It seems to me if one wants to compare cities, it makes more sense to compare midwest to midwest than Iowa to New York. There is a lot we can learn. On a world class city basis most compare NYC and London as equals probably because of NYSE and LIBOR.

Enjoy the weekend. Maybe it won't snow.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Really? So I assume you have lived in all of them huh?

Maybe your issue in these top notch great plains or Midwestern communities is your condescending, know it all, broad-brushed generalities. Look at your posts! Full of vitriol and anger at people in this community for feeling good about their community's accomplishments. I think you are just a bitter person that wants to unleash your sociopathic rage on anyone that just may be having a good life.

My advice is for you to find a place without a sense of community and pride. Good luck surviving such a he'll hole.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 AM

Self-pandering never ends in the midwest. Best place on earth. They are nice communities, but as much as it's denied, these cities are cults. Even the republicans/democrats find common ground in these cities.

It's simply not understood - not everyone is trying to run for mayor.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Self-pandering never ends in the midwest. Best place on earth. They are nice communities, but as much as it's denied, these cities are cults. Even the republicans/democrats find common ground in these cities.

It's simply not understood - not everyone is trying to run for mayor.
I am sure that some people think it is the best place on earth for them, but yet again, I have never heard anyone say that Des Moines is objectively the "best place on earth" let alone the best city in the United States..

Again, you have some weird predisposition against midwest cities. Have you seen the posters from NYC, LA, Philly, San Fran, etc? They truly think they live in the BEST place on earth and they will defend it until they are blue in the face... I have never seen someone act like that about Des Moines.

(The idea that Republicans and Democrats find common ground around a city cult is ridiculous, a lot of people in that region have a very live and let live attitude, you will find both self-proclaimed Democrats and Republicans that believe in the right to marry and the right to carry.)

Again, where are these posts you are talking about? I have seen people claim that Des Moines is the best city of its size, I have seen people say it is the best city for them... I have never seen anyone making the claims that you are saying they claim all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines