Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Asia. Over the past 2 decades, MLB has gotten an increasing number of players from Japan, Korea and Taiwan. They might not be *quite* the same talent pool that the Dominican Republic is, but it's significant just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Exposure? On ESPN4, maybe, right after the lawn mower races in Kokomo, Indiana. The College World Series is hardly a Super Bowl or even an NCAA Final Four bid. Ken Jennings would probably get stumped if Alex Trebek asked him where the College World Series was held. You never see people circulating sheets around work for the College World Series office pool.

They built the new stadium because their corrupt mayor needed a fresh project for his criminal friends in the building trade. Apart from some lonely 60-year-old man who spends his days in the basement looking at NCAA baseball scores on the computer, who really cares about the College World Series? You can watch future insurance salesmen throw a pitch for the very last time. Whoopee.

All the best baseball players get drafted out of the Dominican Republic, high school, or some community college in Arizona. NCAA D-1 baseball is nowhere close to being NCAA football or basketball.
I think you're biggest mistake is trying to compare CWS to some of the largest events. I wasn't doing that, I"m not sure why you are here??? Using your logic, if the CWS doesn't have same draw as Final Four, it is hardly worth the effort to host it. This is very misguided thinking.

Here are some numbers (a few yrs old, but still good for illustration):

* Attendance for CWS grew 302.6 percent (17,805 to 300,702) between 1970 - 2007
* 445 million viewers watch national TV coverage
* 48% of attendees come from outside NE
* 64% of attendees attend other Omaha attractions while in town for CWS
* CWS vistors pump $25 million into Omaha ecomony each year.

Source: http://www.ernestgoss.com/CWS_OpOnly021308.pdf

The CWS as an event is significant in many ways and can stand on its own merits. Just because it is may not be on your or my radar each year, doesn't not make it a huge deal for Omaha to host it.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 05-30-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
I have friends who regularly watch the CWS telecasts every year on tv, as it seems like such a pure, unspoiled version of the game as opposed to say MLB.
When I have managed to watch the games, I have found the games to be a refreshing alternative to MLB.
Over the past decade, I have probably gone to 10 or so college games on an ACC campus near me whereas I have been to Turner Field only once for an MLB game during that time frame.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM

389 posts, read 671,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I have friends who regularly watch the CWS telecasts every year on tv, as it seems like such a pure, unspoiled version of the game as opposed to say MLB.
So is any random Little League game in Fort Dodge.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I think you're biggest mistake is trying to compare CWS to some of the largest events. I wasn't doing that, I"m not sure why you are here??? Using your logic, if the CWS doesn't have same draw as Final Four, it is hardly worth the effort to host it. This is very misguided thinking.
They could (and did) host it at Rosenblatt Stadium for decades. Then the NCAA threatened Omaha, so the corrupt mayor told his con-artist friends in the concrete industry he could get them wheelbarrows full of taxpayer cash.

...And that's how the how the College World Series stayed in Omaha. I'd say using millions in local taxpayer dollars to grease the palms of your construction buddies is money well spent...Especially when it comes to something as important and vital to life as college baseball.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
They could (and did) host it at Rosenblatt Stadium for decades. Then the NCAA threatened Omaha, so the corrupt mayor told his con-artist friends in the concrete industry he could get them wheelbarrows full of taxpayer cash.

...And that's how the how the College World Series stayed in Omaha. I'd say using millions in local taxpayer dollars to grease the palms of your construction buddies is money well spent...Especially when it comes to something as important and vital to life as college baseball.

OK....I don't know what you issue is with the mayor of Omaha (and frankly not sure I care), but to try and get back to the point I originally made -- Events like this pump millions of dollars into local economies regardless if the average Joe can name one or two of the college athletes that will be participating. Name recogition of the athletes is an irrelvant factor in determining the worthiness of hosting such an event.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
You're wasting your time. This ones another Ronnie clone.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
OK....I don't know what you issue is with the mayor of Omaha (and frankly not sure I care), but to try and get back to the point I originally made -- Events like this pump millions of dollars into local economies regardless if the average Joe can name one or two of the college athletes that will be participating. Name recogition of the athletes is an irrelvant factor in determining the worthiness of hosting such an event.
Sure, and the NCAA strung Omaha taxpayers along so they could get a fancy stadium they didn't really need to house college players virtually nobody has heard of. It's great to see government officials have their priorities in line, isn't it?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Here we are again. First we have to listen to tripe about Madison and now were off on politics in Omaha

We

don't

care

Go Whinge on the Omaha forum.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Here we are again. First we have to listen to tripe about Madison and now were off on politics in Omaha.
I figured you Des Moines folks would love an opportunity to rip on Omaha, since they're obviously encroaching on your "Biggest, Bestest Metro Under a Million With A Really Cool Skyline and Trendy Shopping Malls" title that Forbes magazine is set to announce next month.

Isn't the First National Tower just a couple feet higher than the Principal Tower? I bet Forbes will have to start figuring out which mall has the trendier food court to provide a definitive answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines