Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I've already backed up my statement. According to census estimates, Davenport (as a city) has posted a higher percentage growth than Des Moines, also a city. As a metropolitan area, Des Moines is growing much faster due to suburban population increases.

In terms of metropolitan growth concentration, Davenport has a higher ratio of its growth concentrated in the city and not in suburban sprawl. Neither Bettendorf nor Eldridge (or any other city in the QC metro) has growth rates like that of Ankeny or West Des Moines.

Simple math proves me right. The heading of this thread implies that Des Moines (a city) is outpacing other cities in the state. That is demonstrably false using census data estimates and a little common sense.

Sorry it punctures the narrative you've worked so hard to build. Like I said, blame the government.
Adding more words off-topic, doesn't mean you answered the question. Sorry.

You brought into the topic of urban core renewal. Nothing you've said since that comment, and especially the above, addresses or supports your earlier statement.

Once again, you said in relation to Des Moines' growth being:

Quote:
...not from core urban renewal...like the kind Davenport has experienced with a

large increase in downtown loft housing.
I can only surmise now that you're throwing around the term "urban core" without truly meaning it? Did you mean to say the metro's central city or DM proper? That is different than the urban core of DM (or Davenport).

There, I helped you back out of your own corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
I would agree that Des Moines is gay-friendly, to those who are actually gay. I used to work with a guy who very "metro" and whatnot, while he was straight, people would always make implications that he must be gay, and this was allowed. Yet, the two queens with the Richard Simmons personality that worked there never got any sort of comments, since it would be wrong then.

That's the "midwest" version of gay-friendly.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Oh yeah? How is it better than Burlington's Pride Fest? Wait. Wait. Let me guess...

It has more gay people than Burlington's Pride Fest. And, the parade goes well into evening whereas Burlington's stops at 5:30 PM. That's what you get for being gay in the wrong Iowa city, huh?
I'm pretty sure Burlington doesn't have a Pride fest at all.

You are REALLY grasping for something to argue about. Saying DM has a good one isn't saying it is better than another. It's just saying it has a good one.

Talking to you gives me a headache because it is the equivalent of banging my head against the wall. I'm done.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM

389 posts, read 671,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I can only surmise now that you're throwing around the term "urban core" without truly meaning it? Did you mean to say the metro's central city or DM proper? That is different than the urban core of DM (or Davenport).

There, I helped you back out of your own corner.
You are really creepy and spooky...and have become way too interested in Davenport now. Have your DM posting buddies go make up another thread about how the Raccoon River is better for fishing and recreation than the Mississippi. That way you can effectively bait those from the city you're suddenly fixated with into a real "We're better than you" thread.

I prefer to talk about statistics that can be verified...like census data. You've already lost on that argument.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

389 posts, read 671,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm pretty sure Burlington doesn't have a Pride fest at all.
Then what about Davenport? Do they have a Pride Fest, and if so, how is it inferior to Des Moines' Pride Fest?

Hey, capitalguy, we got a new thread for one of your "friends" to start!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I prefer to talk about statistics that can be verified...like census data. You've already lost on that argument.
OK, i'll bite. I've quoted the argument I've called you out on three or four time now. You can agree or disagree who's correct, but I've put it out there in black and white. We both now exactly what you said.

Pls supply the quote of the argument that I've "already lost". As with your comment, we can disagree in the end, but there is clarity now on what we were discussing. Pls provide my "gaffe".

Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
Does this forum like... not have a moderator? I don't think I've ever seen a thread locked in the Iowa forum. A thread in the Minnesota forum got locked today for way WAY less than the crap we see here constantly.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
A couple of pretty bad posts from recent were deleted from here, but agree the Iowa forum tends to get pathetic, unfortunately.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
A couple of pretty bad posts from recent were deleted from here, but agree the Iowa forum tends to get pathetic, unfortunately.
hummm....I wonder if there are any constants we could identify regarding threads that tend to take a turn for the worse. hummmm

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Who cares about Davenport/Quad Cities on this thread about growth?? Very random. Quad Cities area grew by less than 10,000 since 2000. Des Moines grew by well over 100,000. How are they comparable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines