Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM

14 posts, read 27,661 times

Advertisements

Hi Poshranger do you say Grosse pointe schools are better than Bloomfield hills ?
School is my 1st priority as my kid has Down's syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,207 times
Northville or Novi, Best schools, safest area. 30+ minute commute. You will find other UK living people in Northville, Novi

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM

866 posts, read 4,259,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From glasgow View Post
Hi Poshranger do you say Grosse pointe schools are better than Bloomfield hills ?
School is my 1st priority as my kid has Down's syndrome.
I would say that Grosse Pointe South Schools and Bloomfield Hills schools are probably tied in ranking. Different surveys will give you different results, but they are both very good school districts.

You will probably be able to find a better deal on a house in GP Park, GP City, or GP Farms than you will in Bloomfield Hills without a doubt.

Don't get me wrong, the Grosse Pointes have some very wealthy people, but there have always been affordable options in the Grosse Pointes. Whereas in Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Township, unless your "Upper Class", and I don't mean "Upper-Middle Class", but really "Upper Class" you are going to have a very hard time trying to find something affordable. In Bloomfield Hills you could have an average looking house, but the property taxes on the house are natorius (10,000 + a year).

Grosse Pointers pay high taxes as well on moderate houses, but nothing that ridiculous. You will probably find that property taxes in Wayne County, where the Grosse Pointes are located, are much cheaper overall than the northern suburbs of Oakland County (Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Birmingham, etc).

I'm not trying to pursade you to absolutely buy in the Grosse Pointes, but when you compare apples to apples you will probably find that the Pointes are a better deal than the Oakland County suburbs. I live in Oakland County (north-western suburbs), and can tell you that Oakland's property taxes are out of control. I really hope Oakland County smartens up in the 2012 election and finally votes Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson out of office.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
I understand how important schools are, but different areas of metro Detroit have different cultural ideas. You could pick an area for the best school and find you have nothing in common with any of your neighbors, you could be in for tremendous culture shock. I would put some thought into what type of life the adults want as well, plus I'm not sure if the best school necessarily means they are the best for special needs like Down's. Metro Detroit is a huge spread out area with many different types of people, I would do a lot more research before deciding where to live so the whole family can be as happy as possible.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM

83 posts, read 185,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I understand how important schools are, but different areas of metro Detroit have different cultural ideas. You could pick an area for the best school and find you have nothing in common with any of your neighbors, you could be in for tremendous culture shock. I would put some thought into what type of life the adults want as well, plus I'm not sure if the best school necessarily means they are the best for special needs like Down's. Metro Detroit is a huge spread out area with many different types of people, I would do a lot more research before deciding where to live so the whole family can be as happy as possible.
While this isn't "my" thread, I'd love to learn more about this. You made me think of something that the Realtor that I'm working with said ... "In this area, things are divided by east side/west side....and, as the saying goes, never the twain shall meet. Woodward really is the dividing line, culturally. The GP's are the Birmingham of the East Side."

Is that accurate? Is that what you mean regarding different cultural ideas?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandytab View Post
While this isn't "my" thread, I'd love to learn more about this. You made me think of something that the Realtor that I'm working with said ... "In this area, things are divided by east side/west side....and, as the saying goes, never the twain shall meet. Woodward really is the dividing line, culturally. The GP's are the Birmingham of the East Side."

Is that accurate? Is that what you mean regarding different cultural ideas?
Yeah, that's the type of thing I am talking about. Two different cities in metro Detroit could be like two different planets as far as the people who live there are concerned. I would recommend people think about whether they are very liberal, conservative, like diversity, don't like diversity, feel comfortable with one particular social class or a mix etc.. before deciding where to live.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,534 times
I think Dequindre is more of the dividing line than Woodward.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:10 PM

So what side is the liberal/conservative side? Is that what that "dividing line" is?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure about that dividing line, but the Oakland county suburbs are thought of as more liberal/progressive, and the GPs more traditional/conservative. That is a huge generalization though, I have seen other threads go into more detail about this.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM

I'll have to look around. I thought I read every single thread in this forum from the last three years (at least) LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit