Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM

41 posts, read 53,598 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My name's Sean! I'm 21 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I wasn't born until 1991, and even though I'm a Cardinals fan, but since I like the nostalgia of the 1980's, and since they made it to the World Series this year playing against the Giants, what memories do you have from the 1984 World Series when the Tigers won against the Padres, with manager Sparky Anderson, and players like Jack Morris, Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell, Willie Hernandez, Larry Herndon, Marty Castillo, Milt Wilcox, and Rusty Kuntz?

Thanks!
Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
BUBBA and the burning cars....

Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
BUBBA and the burning cars....
Yeah, same here! There was a wave of arson after they won. The Devil's Night fires were numerous that year. I don't remember the games at all, to be honest. Watching grown men in skin tight pants throw a ball around while spitting and grabbing their crotches never appealed to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
35-5. Morris no hitter. Bless you boys. Gibbys 2 hr game. Trammells 2 hr game.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Odd. I was a senior at Wayne State, so, I was right in the middle of it, but I do not remember it at all. I probably finageled my way into a game, but I am not sure. I do remember a squad fo fully armed riot police with clear plastic shields charging through campus on two occaisions and wondering what was going on, I never found out, maybe it was related to the games.

It is weird, I just cannot remember anything at all about that year except a few picture memories. I do not think I was sleeping much. I was in school full time and working several jobs as many hours as I could get, I thik I too the LSAT and applied to 20 or so schools about then as well. It was really busy but you would think I woudl remember the world series.

I do remember the players. I got to meet Sparky Andersona and Kurt Gibson once, but I cannot rememebr where it was - a bar I think. They were surprisingly pleasant.

Maybe I should go to a game and take pictures so I will remember this one.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM

629 posts, read 772,330 times
Earlier that spring I had put a pre EGR pontiac 350 on a motor stand and my brothers and I spent the summer in the garage rebuilding that motor while listening to Ernie Harwell call the Tiger games

"He stood there like the house by the side of the road"

The motor absolutey snorted when I finally put it into a 68 Firebird, never miss fired once.

The world series that year went like the regular season, a foregone conclusion. They destroyed the Padres like they destroyed everything that got in their way. The thing I remember most about that season was Hernandezes absolutlely sick split finger fastball. He would bring a little heat and set a batter up and then that split finger stike out pitch either froze the batter or made him look stoopid trying to hit it. Never heard about Willie Guermillio Hernandez before or since

The team was a Sparky Anderson master piece that was a mirror image of his Reds from the 70s. Awesome season but the series was a bore because it wasnt really competative. I didnt get to enjoy the riots in Detroit because I lived in the UP at the time.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Michigan had a Tiger buzz all summer long.

I worked nights in a stamping plant in 1984, and everyone had their radios tuned to the game.

Ernie & Paul were my best friends that summer.

I still have my autographed screen printed baseball that my dad gave me for Christmas a couple of months later.

Remember Sid Monge?

How 'bout Senor Smoke?

HoJo was traded to the Mets the year before.....he went on to tear up the National League.

Tram & Lou were considered the best DP combo in baseball.

During the regular season, Darrell Evans had made an error at 1st base, costing the Tigers one of their few losses.

He received a standing ovation the next day at Tiger Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: