Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times

Advertisements

I knew a friend of my mom who lived in Highland Park. There's very few streets that I'd probably say are 'stable'. Highland Park itself though is a very troubled city. At one point, the city didn't have a fire or police department (not sure about now.) It's just not a pretty picture. Nice houses, yes. Nice city, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I knew a friend of my mom who lived in Highland Park. There's very few streets that I'd probably say are 'stable'. Highland Park itself though is a very troubled city. At one point, the city didn't have a fire or police department (not sure about now.) It's just not a pretty picture. Nice houses, yes. Nice city, no.
I remembered that too. At one point they were going to try to glom onto the Detroit services. I don't know what happened with that, either.

All I can think of is the OP, coming from CO Springs, is genuinely ignorant about what a rough neighborhood in Detroit might be like and thinks Michigan is some kind of aberration where people can buy nice four and five bedroom houses in decent neighborhoods for $25K.

It's not like that.

Detroit is like anywhere else and you get what you pay for.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I remembered that too. At one point they were going to try to glom onto the Detroit services. I don't know what happened with that, either.

All I can think of is the OP, coming from CO Springs, is genuinely ignorant about what a rough neighborhood in Detroit might be like and thinks Michigan is some kind of aberration where people can buy nice four and five bedroom houses in decent neighborhoods for $25K.

It's not like that.

Detroit is like anywhere else and you get what you pay for.
Well...Certainly not for $25K but maybe for $60K. I guess I wanted to make a point that Highland Park is not one of those areas. The University District has plenty of well maintained houses that are selling for cheap. Also, the UD is one of the areas that will supposedly get improved services according to Mayor Bing.
There are gems to be found, you just have to be extra cautious. All I did was advise the OP against Highland Park because it's not one of those gems.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 AM

153 Eason Street, Highland Park MI | MLS# 211045987 - Trulia

133135 Elmhurst, Highland Park MI | MLS# 211067852 - Trulia

109 Midland Street, Highland Park MI | MLS# 211084608 - Trulia

That is not even looking at the foreclosures.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM

We're saying the same thing.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Whoop, sorry for seeming defensive then. I misread what you said and thought you meant she shouldn't buy in Detroit at all.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Nope!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,620 times
What people fail to mention here is that Highland Park is literally the most dangerous city in southeastern Michigan. The housing stock may seem like a good deal because at one point in the city's history it was upscale, but the progression from then to now has been very rough and I would not suggest to anyone to buy in that area. Highland Park is easily more dangerous than most Detroit neighborhoods, it's not worth even taking a look at in my opinion.

You'd be much better off looking at one of the neighborhoods ForStarters mentioned, or looking at the city of Hamtramck, which is right next to Highland Park. The houses aren't as nice in Hamtramck and they're also more expensive, but at the cost of basic safety I'd say it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit