Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
"The city is for them the burbs are for us. They stay there, we stay here."(Originally Posted by Mkrajenke)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To say the least&(if I may be so bold)rather ignorant as well!

Just wondering who is who if a city resident was to say this? Guess the roles are reversed? Unless the "city them" were not them-them, but white..OMG, racial ambiguity...how will they ever be able to tell who they are talking about?
Of course there is the issue of a few who have escaped and gone suburban and those who have escaped from suburban to urban.

This them and us is so confusing. I was just getting comfortable with the idea it was all us and we.

Given your youth and appreciation for the great out-of-doors, I would look at suburbia--probably towards the northern communites and places in eastern Oakland County. These places would also have a greater variety of activities on a regular basis, whereas in Detroit, the special events are held about once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM

170 posts, read 496,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just wondering who is who if a city resident was to say this? Guess the roles are reversed? Unless the "city them" were not them-them, but white..OMG, racial ambiguity...how will they ever be able to tell who they are talking about?
Of course there is the issue of a few who have escaped and gone suburban and those who have escaped from suburban to urban.
Perhaps Mkrajenke will answer your question. It was he/her who made the 'us&them' statement.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 24,247 times
Thanks everyone! We aren't coming to take a look and decide upon a place until the beginning of June, but so far I am going to check out Ferndale area, Royal Oak, midtown (sounds a lot like the neighborhood I live in now), and definitely some cities very close to the water (how is the age range around St. Clair shores?) I would like to live in a community with other late 20's/early 30's professionals.

Also, there is this part of Kansas City that I absolutely love called Brookside. It is tree-lined with many shops/restaurants/running trails, old mansion type houses, and feels like you aren't in actual Kansas City anymore. Is there any neighborhoods that sound like this in Detroit?

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 05-04-2012 at 05:15 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louwho22 View Post
Thanks everyone! We aren't coming to take a look and decide upon a place until the beginning of June, but so far I am going to check out Ferndale area, Royal Oak, midtown (sounds a lot like the neighborhood I live in now), and definitely some cities very close to the water (how is the age range around St. Clair shores?) I would like to live in a community with other late 20's/early 30's professionals.

Also, there is this part of Kansas City that I absolutely love called Brookside. It is tree-lined with many shops/restaurants/running trails, old mansion type houses, and feels like you aren't in actual Kansas City anymore. Is there any neighborhoods that sound like this in Detroit?

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

St Clair Shores is a very nice area but it has an older population and more family oriented. It's your basic safe and quiet suburb. If you like downtown Royal Oak, you're probably better served living in a place like Warren and driving 3 miles to downtown Royal Oak. You'll save a lot more in housing costs.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,482 times
Huntingwoods is a great community. What can you afford? Are you pre approved?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 AM

12 posts, read 48,379 times
Based on what you have said about yourself, I would encourage you to consider Midtown or Corktown in Detroit. Downtown is getting more busy, but there are still huge swaths of Downtown that get a little "dead" at night especially during the weekdays. Additionally, I think that you will find that in general downtown will probably be too expensive for your budget. The nicer buildings that you and your bf would want to live in will probably in all honesty be outside the target price range that you have set for yourself. Corktown and Midtown have a bit of walkability, quirky bars, and new businesses opening all of the time. In the case of Midtown a new Whole Foods which I am sure you have heard about but this is one of several new planned developments in the area. You may also want to check out Woodbridge. It is in the main a lot more residential than Corktown/Midtown but a nice established area with a good community vibe. Also these three areas will have the younger professional crowd that you are looking for. Lafayette Park could also be a possibility and would be likely in your price range but there is no real neighborhood/walkability feel..although you do get the benefit of the park nearby. If you are considering suburbs I think you will find Ferndale to be the most walkable with a young professional vibe. You may have trouble finding things you like in your price range in Royal Oak and Birmingham is probably not really what you are looking for as far as vibe or price range. I would like to add that an added benefit to living in Midtown is that the first responders to any emergency situation are usually the Wayne State police. I liked the peace of mind of the WSUPD being first responders. In general, I have found them far more pleasant and professional than the DPD. Crime is low in Downtown Midtown for the most part although there are incidents. Downtown is safer than midtown. Woodbridge has a lot of car break-ins but strikes me as safer/quieter than Midtown. If you are going to consider Woodbridge, something you will want to seriously consider is the parking situation as it can get crowded since most places in the neighborhood do not have off-street parking.
Concerning the job situation for the bf. Yeah...I would say that it will be a challenge for him to find a job in the sector although not entirely impossible. I would think that depending on the amount of job experience he has, he may want to consider going for an mba if he truly desires to stay in the sector. I wish you luck, I had to face the same decision you did four years ago. I chose to move to Midtown and have not regretted it a bit. I recently bought a condo in midtown and am enjoying my walkable city lifestyle.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM

10 posts, read 24,768 times
Louwho22 - There are a lot of good options in the area, but you should keep a few things in mind. Royal Oak has great nightlife, but is way too expensive for what you get as far as cost of living IMO. Birmingham is a great upscale community that is safe with great bars and restaurants, but very expensive. Ferndale is okay for nightlife and restaurants, but it does border Detroit and has some issues with crime. I have no experience living right in Detroit, but personally I wouldn't do it. You may be in a cool area downtown, but city services and crime around you will still be horrible. You could look at renting in Grosse Pointe Park. It's a really nice community with great parks and close proximity to downtown Detroit, but not a lot of nightlife. I currently live in St. Clair Shores with my wife and baby and I would recommend it. Not too expensive, right on Lake St. Clair, good bars and some really good restaurants, easy parking, easy access to freeways (I-696, I-94), easy access to supermarkets. In fact, my wife and I have a 2 bed, 2 bath condo updated throughout that we are putting up for sale soon if you are interested.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
If I were your age, and had no kids, I would live in downtown or mid-town Detroit (or maybe Ann Arbor - which you cannot afford). There are compromises (poor city services), but it woudl be an exciting place to live. Crime rates for downtown or midtown are higher than the suburbs, but average or above average for major downtown areas of other cities in the US. There is crime. Cars get broken into a lot, expesiceally when some idiot leaves valuables in view inside. There are occaisional violent cirmes too. It is a city. Within a mile or three of down or mid town, you can get into some really nasty areas with horrible crime rates.

There are lots of lists of decent areas Downtown, mid-town, woodbridge, university, maybe North Rosedale Park, Corktown, eastern Market . . . .

The problem for water view or access is the cost. At $900 a month, it would be hard to find water access or view. You might find a little place in the Pointes for that amount.

I think you might really ike Ferndale.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louwho22 View Post
I
1. Hobbies: play tennis a lot, running, boating (I own a boat but willing to leave it behind until I really figure out the area), like to be outdoors mostly
Would like some kind of night life close by even if it is just a local bar

2. a downtown- we like downtowns but the only reason we chose not to live in downtown Kansas City is because it absolutely dies at 5 and feels desolate unless you are in one small section going to the bars or an event is going on. So if downtown Detroit feels like that than probably won't like living there.

3. chain stores and restaurants- don't really care for chain stores/restaurants. We have gotten use to them not being around where we live now. We like to explore different stores and local restaurants

4. Also, how bad (truly) is the job market? We would be moving for me so my boyfriend would be giving up his job. I would make enough for us to live, but it concerns me if the market is that bad that he may never find a job. He currently works at an investment bank (bachelors in economics w finance minor, I haven't seen much demand for that kind of work from my general searching).
1. On this you would probably love Grosse Ile, or the Pointes. However Grosse Ile is a bit too far away and too expensive for you.

2. Downtown Detroit is pretty much like that on weekdays. Greek town has a bit more life and mid-town too. THe only places that do nto die down in the evening after 6 or 7 p.m. are Ann Arbor, and a few pockets in other areas.

3. Avoid the newer suburbs.

4. It is pretty bad. It is really hit or miss. Everyone I know who is looking for a job has found one, except one guy. A lot depends on the field, qualitifcations and experience and luck. It is better to find a job before moving.

I thought of anyther place you may like a whole lot. Downtow Wyandotte. It will fill a lot of your criteria.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
"The city is for them the burbs are for us. They stay there, we stay here."(Originally Posted by Mkrajenke)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To say the least (if I may be so bold) rather ignorant as well!
I've noticed that people who are ignorant about race tend to use the word "ignorant" to describe people who are aware of race.

What exactly was Mkrajenke ignorant of in his post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit