Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What exactly does that mean by "dressing normal"?
In a way that wasn't inspired by jail inmates? IE, pants several sizes too large because "one size fits all" in jail, with pants that sag around your a$s because in jail they take your belt away from you and you have to walk around like that with your underwear showing (if you wear any), or with one hand holding up your pants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,823 times
Or those head rags that hug the scalp tightly and have the flap over the back of the neck. How better to spell gang member?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,097 times
1 posts
http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...tion_green.gif

Initially posted this elsewhere but meant it for here:

I can't speak to Detroit but I can speak to Downriver. I grew up as a POC (black) in Downriver Michigan and, after traveling to other places in our country and abroad, I feel that it is one of the most overtly racist communities that I have ever been exposed to. I have not lived in the area for over 5 years now, but have noticed when I come back from college that it is plenty more colorful than it had been when I was growing up. So obviously the demographic is changing, although I can't really speak to attitudes. But if people are still anything like they were when I was growing up, I would say that it is still probably one of the most socially unproductive places in the country, even economics aside. In fact, the area's economic problems I imagine probably have something to do with the fact that anyone with the wits and means to escape the area inevitably does so as soon as they are able. Sorry, I know that's mean to say to a lot of people, but honestly, Wayne County in general is a sinking ship. It seems to have almost completely lost out on (rejected) the social and intellectual benefits that the rest of the country has been cultivating in the last few decades. And I would attribute this social and intellectual retardation most definitely to a deeply entrenched and radical racism in the area. Not to say that there aren't nice people of all colors living there, but for the most part, the whole community (Downriver) is backwards. Severely. Place where rebel flags wave abundantly in the north.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isurviveddownriver View Post
1 posts

Initially posted this elsewhere but meant it for here:

I can't speak to Detroit but I can speak to Downriver. I grew up as a POC (black) in Downriver Michigan and, after traveling to other places in our country and abroad, I feel that it is one of the most overtly racist communities that I have ever been exposed to. I have not lived in the area for over 5 years now, but have noticed when I come back from college that it is plenty more colorful than it had been when I was growing up. So obviously the demographic is changing, although I can't really speak to attitudes. But if people are still anything like they were when I was growing up, I would say that it is still probably one of the most socially unproductive places in the country, even economics aside. In fact, the area's economic problems I imagine probably have something to do with the fact that anyone with the wits and means to escape the area inevitably does so as soon as they are able. Sorry, I know that's mean to say to a lot of people, but honestly, Wayne County in general is a sinking ship. It seems to have almost completely lost out on (rejected) the social and intellectual benefits that the rest of the country has been cultivating in the last few decades. And I would attribute this social and intellectual retardation most definitely to a deeply entrenched and radical racism in the area. Not to say that there aren't nice people of all colors living there, but for the most part, the whole community (Downriver) is backwards. Severely. Place where rebel flags wave abundantly in the north.
Confederate flags being waved doesn't surprise me that much. Many southerners moved to Michigan during WWII.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM

332 posts, read 644,473 times
Quote:
If you look like a thug, you'll get treated like one. Dress and act normal, chances are you wont experience that.
That would explain why I never get harassed by the police. Thank goodness I don't dress like I came straight out of "Menace To Society". To law enforcement I look about as threatening as Steve Urkel.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
That would explain why I never get harassed by the police. Thank goodness I don't dress like I came straight out of "Menace To Society". To law enforcement I look about as threatening as Steve Urkel.

Actually, I have personal experience to refute some of that. When my father bought a brand new car, he frequently got pulled over by the police. When he drove his old car, no one messed with him. A cop even tried to follow him on his way to church. He was in his new car, wearing a suit,with his children in the car. Once he got in the parking lot, the cop went away, fearing retribution from one of his co-workers, a member of my father's church. The cops have been called on me a few times for simply "looking suspicious". The cops were called on me twice for being on campus at 2AM. Please remember, there is no curfew on campus(at my university at least). Another incident involved the cops being called on me for simply appearing upset under the guise of "public disturbance". I didn't look like a thug any of those times. Someone got "scared" and called the police, wasting the officer's time. Not looking like a thug will not always save you from being harrassed by the police, or by other people.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 15,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep2 View Post
Having had the opportunity to observe many communities in this country, it is my observation that Detroit and the surrounding areas are home to the USA's most culturally segregated, stagnant, and uneducated communities.

I was born in Flint, raised in Oakland County between the city of Southfield and Bloomfield Hills, and now I reside in the city of Detroit. For those of you who are not familiar with the ethnic and socioeconomic demographics of these areas, let me encourage you to hop on Wikipedia and do some quick reading. All three of these places are starkly different in those areas as far as Michigan is concerned.

I will talk straight. From my experiences and observations people in and around Detroit are very closed minded with regards to socializing or seeking to be informed about groups of people that they do not self identify with. If "race" is to be used as a common thread, I would break it down the hypothesized geneses of these attitudes and their surrounding phenomenon like so:

White people*
-The 1967 accelerated the already declining population of the city. White people moved not only their families with them but also their beliefs and values. Many young white people in Detroit have been taught the racially biased values of their grandparents and parents. For example, I would venture to say that if many of the surrounding all white suburbs had their traffic records subpoenaed, we would find that the number of traffic stops on non-white, Detroit residents would dwarf that of actual residents in those municipalities. This would be alarming statistical evidence of institutionalized racism being carried by Detroit's mostly white neighboring towns. And since the number of drivers in those municipalities from Detroit would be a small fraction of actual drivers on the road in these places, this would be a smoking gun. As a resident who knows well the most urban and suburban areas, I can tell you that white people’s behavior differs from suburban communities to when/if they spend time in the city. In white communities (if they should be from a mostly white suburb) using the word ****** in derogatory fashion may be very commonplace. It is not uncommon for blacks that pass through or live in these communities to be alienated as if they are lepers. In general there is a sometimes spoken but more often than not, unspoken rule that black is associated with extreme negativity. Dating someone who is not white may be questionable but dating a black man means something all together different. Should a black man be handsome, educated, cultured, or what have you....he will more than likely be avoided at the cost of anyone who may date him will be stigmatized a la the scarlet letter. Whites attitudes toward other non-whites also seems very polarized. Other non-whites are excluded from many of the same courtesies that whites extend one another such as being invited to community events, inclusion in social clubs or simply being treated in a non biased way. I recently learned that the highest suicide rate in the US is amongst teenaged children from immigrant backgrounds. Scientific evidence supported social isolation as a great cause in this. Metro Detroit has many non-whites who are received with explicit bias.

*Black
-Most of the black population of Detroit and its surrounding areas is concentrated within the limits of the city. After standing up against a racist, all white police force, 1967 left blacks villainized and socially isolated. Detroit is the blackest city in the USA. Some 85% of Detroit’s residents are black. Most are uneducated. Illiteracy is 50% or higher. The schools probably graduate 25% of students. Unemployment may be around 40% as of right now. With regards to having exposure to other cultures but if I had to use one word to sum up the climate of the average black person's view on learning about/interacting with other cultures...I would use the word 'apathy'. Many blacks view non-black, particularly whites, as parasitic and/or bloodsucking as a result of the commuter culture in Detroit (many white people work, recreate, go to school in Detroit yet have no connection to any of its black residents). In general, there seems to be little interest on the part of white commuters Many black people do not want to venture outside of their comfort zone of associating with those considered their own. Not all, but many blacks in and around Detroit have little to no idea about how to begin to relate to others around them. There also seems to be a strong vein of apathy and resentment toward persons of Middle Eastern descent. It is not at all uncommon to hear snide racially based remarks made about middle-easterners. Many Middle-easterners own stores and gas stations in black communities and many blacks vent their frustrations out in the form of racism commentary and practices. No one seems to be more racist against black people than black people. Black people from suburban communities tend to be very racist toward black people from poor urban areas.

I am getting tired of writing.....

...lets just say....as a person who has done a ton of traveling, Detroit and its surrounding metro areas are the most socially segregated and culturally stagnant I have ever observed. Man...I mean I have spent time in probably 35 states in this country....and here in Detroit, people are mean, cruel, cold, and content with it. The worst part about it is....many people know that things are different in other places and they continue to live their douchy existence.

All I have to say is this.....when it comes to people being racist and segregated here.....it’s bad. The most segregated place in the country both physically and socially is right here. . Feels like it too. Cannot wait to leave!
To be honest, what you are describing here is America as a whole.

I to have live many places in the US as well as in Toronto (which is a very culturally and ethnically diverse city - not that this makes Toronto perfect but it helps some) and my observation is that America, despite the supposed success of the Civil Rights movement, is still a very segregated society. The blacks live here, the whites live there, the Arabs live here, the Latin Americans live there, etc.

It is understandable for people to live with whom they identify but this has created a level of ignorance within each group towards and the other groups. I had a basketball scholarship as a kid and was given the opportunity to go to school amongst numerous people of different ethnicity and I noticed the various stereotypes that each held for the other. I firmly believe that this is because "back home" they were not exposed to these different cultures and were taught great misconceptions.

However, after a number of years interacting with these other cultures because it was a must due to school I noticed the attitude adjustment towards each other and many became life long friends!

This is why in planning to move to the Detroit area I would much rather be living in an ethnically diverse community rather than say live completely amongst "my own people". As I get married and have kids I want my kids to be aware of and knowledgeable of other cultures as well as their own. Want them to understand that despite someone speaking a different language, looking different, dressing different or eating different food their are also numerous similarities and common ground is always there.

I think it is counter productive and a recipe for failure for one to grow up in fear of on ignorant to other people.

I think Detroit presents a great opportunity it can't stay as it is it has to improve

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM

332 posts, read 644,473 times
Quote:
I to have live many places in the US as well as in Toronto (which is a very culturally and ethnically diverse city - not that this makes Toronto perfect but it helps some) and my observation is that America, despite the supposed success of the Civil Rights movement, is still a very segregated society. The blacks live here, the whites live there, the Arabs live here, the Latin Americans live there, etc.
America is a salad bowl, not a melting pot. Hence why this country is very racially segregated.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
America is a salad bowl, not a melting pot. Hence why this country is very racially segregated.
I say pluralistic, which is more like it: Pluralism (political philosophy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cultural pluralism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What exactly does that mean by "dressing normal"?
In other words "Don't look like a fool with your pants on the ground".

Old comment, but couldn't resist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit